Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Michelin Premier A/S.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:48 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin Premier A/S.

I purchased a set of 16" Mini oem rims to replace the 15" rims on my Justa. I purchased the wheels because I believe they will look better on the car.
I am looking for a tire that provides a comfortable ride, won't affect fuel mileage too much and is durable. I'm not a very "sporty" driver. I spend most time on city streets and freeways. Do you think this tire is an acceptable choice?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
great value on a high mileage tire!

costco offers $70 instant rebate now...

Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I am looking to put on the R84 I bought for Wife's Clubman. 205/55 X16 COSTCO uses Nitrogen to fill them will rebalance and rotate them every 7500 miles for free. Great warranty also besides being good tires.

Tom

Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that's the direction I'm going to go. I've always been pleased with Michelins. Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:53 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TBRoye
That is what I am looking to put on the R84 I bought for Wife's Clubman. 205/55 X16 COSTCO uses Nitrogen to fill them will rebalance and rotate them every 7500 miles for free. Great warranty also besides being good tires.

Tom
On tire rotations, that really depends on your relationship with the peeps at the counter. I have mine rotated every 4K no questions ask.

For me 7.5K intervals may be to long to achieve an even tire wear...

Old 06-17-2015, 06:13 AM
Fishhunter911
Neutral
I have these tires on my Subaru Legacy. Great traction wet and dry. Tire wear is outstanding.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Peter, I can also recommend if you want a better look to think about 205/50/16 , it will be a tad shorter tire, about 1 mph off on speedo but it fits good and the wider tire looks great. But if your after MPG then don't go shorter.

If you want a tire that will last and have good traction, not great then the michelin is a good choice, for me I want max traction so my tires don't last.

I also am about how the tire/tread look. I'm looking hard at nitto motivo right now, it's only a A traction not AA BUT has a warranty for tread wear.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
For me 7.5K intervals may be to long to achieve an even tire wear...
When the Premier AS is new, I'd also suggest more regular rotation, every 3-4K for at least the 1st 3 rotations.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I have the Michelin Latitudes on our Ford Expedition $200/tire they get rotated every 5K although COSTCO says 7500K no problems getting them done more often.. They are the best tire I could have on that Monster they have worn even are quiet and smooth riding. I will probably have to replace them later this year before the wet season if we have one

The tires on the R84 Rims now are 205/55X16 Riken Raptor VR and they are good looking tires the tread has that aggressive directional tread pattern. I am going to get a set of Michelin's don't know which one yet that give 50K miles and ride and handles well. We are older so don't need the race track handling but would like a smoother ride, that is why I won't got to 50 series tire don't want the shorter sidewall and rougher ride. AS fare as snow I will keep the 15 tires and rim as I have set of cable traction devices for them incase we go up the snow area in the winter. The 205/50 would be to wide for any type of snow chains to fit. Winter tire are something I don't need I try to stay out of the snow if possible, to may idiots driving to fast in their 4x4's

Tom

Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just put the Michelin A/S 3 tires on my Clubman and am very happy with them.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:03 PM
GraceinAction
1st Gear
I put these tires on my Clubman S last month. Switched out the runflats. Good traction in rain. They do lose some of their traction above 90 mph.....
Very happy with them. They are a good all around tire. Not a high performance tire.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Why would you say not high perf ? AA traction ratings are pretty high perf, not 100 or 200 type track tires but still . I was thinking of these or pilot sports. I just want something more than 10k from a tire .

Originally Posted by GraceinAction
I put these tires on my Clubman S last month. Switched out the runflats. Good traction in rain. They do lose some of their traction above 90 mph.....
Very happy with them. They are a good all around tire. Not a high performance tire.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Why would you say not high perf ?
The Premier AS is considered a Grand Touring tire.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
I was confusing this with the pilot sport as3 , just got those in and need to have installed.

Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack

Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When the Premier AS is new, I'd also suggest more regular rotation, every 3-4K for at least the 1st 3 rotations.
Alex...presume your 3-4k mile rotation recommendation would pertain to any new tires on a MINI ( I have a Roadster S w/ o.e. Conti SportContact RFs).

And...rotation is just front->rear; same side correct?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fishhunter911
I have these tires on my Subaru Legacy. Great traction wet and dry. Tire wear is outstanding.
Mini's tend to wear different front to rear and frequent rotation is necessary, I rotate ours every 5,000 miles. You should rotate them front to back.
I rotate my other cars tires at every 10,000 miles and that works just fine for them.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM
foodbiker
Neutral
What about snow?

Hi guys - For me, these Premier A/S 3 would be going on to a 2010 Clubman with 15" rims. I've been waiting for months to pull the trigger on these over at Costco until the $70 instant discount became available again. I'm so over run-flats, and I can't wait for a quieter and smoother ride.

Here's the kicker - are these totally and utterly useless in the snow? The Clubman is the regular snow car I drive...and am very skittish after Boston's Snowmageddon this past year. Would prefer to avoid summer/snow tire swaps.

If they're genuinely iffy in the snow, what else do you recommend? Really enjoying Michelin Pilots on the other car.

Would really appreciate replies ASAP with a HUGE road trip coming up in about a week.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:05 PM
GraceinAction
1st Gear
premier a/s vs. snow tires

I haven't used the premier a/s in the snow. I do like them on my car. Much better than runflats.
In Boston I would run a tire dedicated to snow. Tire Rack has good prices on snow tires/rims. I too am a New Englander & would not ride all season/ grand touring tires again during the winter. The snow tires are worth their price.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Michelin Premier A/S.

there is no comparison between dedicated winter tires vs all-seasons

my sister and I both have all4s

she has the oem pirelli p7 all-season tires
i have dunlop grandtrek sj6 winter tires

in 4-6 inches of fresh snow, in an unplowed parking lot, we did a 0-30-0 "race"

i did it 3 times (0-30-0-30-0-30-0) in less distance than it took her to do it once (0-30-0)!

we tried using DSC ON, DTC ON and traction completely off ... made no difference ... the dedicated winter tires are the way to go

ecstuning sells mini oem steelies and mini oem alloys at a very resonable price

it is my understanding from ecs thay the tpms sensors do not work on the steelies, i bought a set of alloys for my winter tires

after the "race" my sister got a set of winters for her all4

winter tires are available as both runflats and non-runflats

Old 06-30-2015, 04:11 AM
GraceinAction
1st Gear
Winter tires vs others

You are so right. I am a healthcare worker - which means I have to get to work, no matter how much snow, sleet, freezing rain there is.
my Mini with snow tires slides around less than my sons subaru forester with all season tires.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:50 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
foodbiker, to answer your question: The all-season snow king is hands down the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They still aren't snow tires though.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
foodbiker, to answer your question: The all-season snow king is hands down the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They still aren't snow tires though.
after trying DW I was not inclined to try their All season the DWS . I just bought the michelin pilot sport AS3 and so far the ride is smooth, traction is unreal, even with TCS OFF you have to work hard to bust loose. Texas don't have much snow or ICE so I should have plenty of bite if and when it does.

Hell I drove in 2 ice storms with DW's and had no issue.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
I read some reviews on the Michelin AS Premier from Tire Rack and some of them were very disturbing. Mostly on tire road noise that averages to sneak up around 10K. Read some articles about "wobble" but cannot repeat some of comments in verbatim because I do not remember it quite well.

Just wanted to hear your comments...from those negative reviews.

I will be in a market for a new set in a week or two and the AS Prem is/was on top of my list. A very close second choice is the AS 3, the one that is $10 more.

I do 120 miles/day and I am after high mileage all-season tires where 95% will be driven on freeways at speeds ranging from 70-85mph depending on the weather.

Thanks in advance!

Joey

Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The A/S 3 doesn't break loose suddenly. As the limit approaches it loses precision and stops going precisely where you wanted. And the braking suffers compared to extreme summer tires. It is incredible for an all season though.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Alex...presume your 3-4k mile rotation recommendation would pertain to any new tires on a MINI ( I have a Roadster S w/ o.e. Conti SportContact RFs).
Yes

rotation is just front->rear; same side correct?
I prefer
providing your tires are not directional.

Best front wheel drive rotation pattern.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Premier A/S.