Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Old pads with new rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 AM
anuppercasej
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old pads with new rotors?

Hi everyone,

I traded my R56 for an '06 R53 a couple months ago and I am working my way through the list of needed repairs. It appears that the previous owner put new brake pads on before they traded it in, but the rotors are pretty much toast, they are way worn down. So my question is, can I use the fairly new pads that are already on the car with brand new rotors, or should I be springing for new pads too. I appreciate the help.

Thank you!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
should be fine

just be sure the pads are wearing evenly

and take it easy for the first couple of hundred

Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'm more cautious. Can't think of any car component that is more important, so I'd put new ones on, unless you feel confident that the pads are near perfect. Then again, what kind of pads are they? High quality low dust, then I'd try to reuse. Cheap dusty metallic spewing pads - lose em.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Is it worth it to you to cause uneven wear on new rotors to try to save the $90-150 cost of a new set of quality pads?
Me...I'd toss them in the trash unless money is VERY tight...
My experience says trying to do something cheaply almost ALWAYS costs more in the Long term.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Never put used/worn pads on new rotors. The pads will very quickly groove the rotors and they will end up looking just like your present ones. You will end up buying rotor twice and pads once. Do it right from the get go. Motor on.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:28 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
The usual thing is to replace both pads and rotors at the time needed instead of cutting corners which with the previous owner was workable but only for as long as the rotors held up.

New pads and rotors work together once they are bedded, I'd also check the brake fluid to see if that needed to be changed.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
rotor wear is a matter of thickness

minimum thickness is stamped into OE rotors

this is a GEN1 OE front
Name:  MINIrotor_zpsb7976c97.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  66.5 KB

OE rotors (and pads) wear fast and look BAD FAST ... but may have much thickness left

BUT as mentioned .. basic rotors are not expensive.

I've two sets in my garage folks have insisted on replacing ..... they have at least 50% of their life left ..... make me an offer ..... $1 beyond the Priority Flat Rate Medium Box gets 'em

bedding .... pttttthhhhhhh .... bedding instructions touted here are for bedding pads in 10 minutes at the track. Did you get bedding instructions when you took delivery? Think they did it at the factory? HA

EBC has a tag to hang in the car similar to what your owner's manual said .... "take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles ...."

I've posted minimum thickness for GEN1 front and back several times .... search works....

Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
anuppercasej
5th Gear
Thanks for the input everybody. I am going to go ahead and get some new pads as well and that way I can be sure. I've already got some Zimmerman discs and some DOT 4 fluid for a brake flush, now I will just need to decide what pads to order. Rear brakes are in good shape so I'm not worried about them.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 AM
zenbuilder
1st Gear
So,on a side note.I bought a 06 R53 recently, replaced the struts mounts, struts, shock yesterday (Koni yellow ) and getting ready to do brakes. Heres the question, Should I be more concerned with the stopping power or the rotor warp. Now I know this seems like a dumb question, stopping is the major concern I know, but taking into consideration that I live in western N.C and the road to my house is a "mini dragon" ,if I brake hard a lot, should I get a plane rotor (w/o) slots,holes or ones with slots holes? My thought are that the more surface ,the better stopping power. But with my driving habits, will they warp sooner? Or, am I just reading to much into it. Also , planning on Hawk pads.