Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

r53 mini wheel offsets

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Josh Bronto
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r53 mini wheel offsets

I'm trying to figure out offset ranges for different wheel sizes, and I'm totally lost.

Can someone point me in the right direction? read a bunch of threads, but I'm wondering if there's a definitive guide.

thanx guiz.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:09 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
There's guide somewhere, I believe 40-48 offsets are in the range of compatibility.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mini can run wheels even lower in offset for instance ET 35 will work on may with only slight modification,

Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Offsets for 1st and 2nd Gen OEM wheels range from 45-52mm. Anything below ET35 for aftermarket wheels is pushing the limit.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Bronto
I'm trying to figure out offset ranges for different wheel sizes, and I'm totally lost.

Can someone point me in the right direction? read a bunch of threads, but I'm wondering if there's a definitive guide.

thanx guiz.
Offset range will depend on how wide the wheel is.

Use this to enter OEM vs your purposed wheel-
http://www.willtheyfit.com

You will see how far the wheel is from the inner suspension and how much the wheel will poke out. Compared to OEM you can have a wheel that is about 13-15mm poke and it will be close to flush on the outer wheel arch if you mount a tire that is correct for the given wheel width.

A narrow wheel with a wide tire will make the wide tire pinched inward, tread shoulders will bulge wider than the width of the rim.

A narrow tire on a wide wheel will make the shoulders round and you can see the edges of the wide rim as the tire sidewall bends inward to the midline of the treads. This is the case with a stretched tire on a wide rim.

When buying aftermarket wheels you will rarely find a wheel offset that is similar to OEM. Wheel makers need to have their wheels fit many makes and models so they choose a generic offset so that it can more or less fit many cars.

In addition the hub bore of the wheel is usually larger like 73mm while the MINI hub bore is 56.1mm. To make the wheel fit onto the hub and bear weight you will usually need a set of centering rings that fit over the MINI hub and into the hole at the hub of the wheel. Many vendors will provide a set of rings when you purchase wheels to fit your car. Rings can be hard plastic or metal.

The following users liked this post:
madcanvis (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Josh Bronto
Neutral
Originally Posted by minihune
Offset range will depend on how wide the wheel is.

Use this to enter OEM vs your purposed wheel-
http://www.willtheyfit.com

You will see how far the wheel is from the inner suspension and how much the wheel will poke out. Compared to OEM you can have a wheel that is about 13-15mm poke and it will be close to flush on the outer wheel arch if you mount a tire that is correct for the given wheel width.

A narrow wheel with a wide tire will make the wide tire pinched inward, tread shoulders will bulge wider than the width of the rim.

A narrow tire on a wide wheel will make the shoulders round and you can see the edges of the wide rim as the tire sidewall bends inward to the midline of the treads. This is the case with a stretched tire on a wide rim.

When buying aftermarket wheels you will rarely find a wheel offset that is similar to OEM. Wheel makers need to have their wheels fit many makes and models so they choose a generic offset so that it can more or less fit many cars.

In addition the hub bore of the wheel is usually larger like 73mm while the MINI hub bore is 56.1mm. To make the wheel fit onto the hub and bear weight you will usually need a set of centering rings that fit over the MINI hub and into the hole at the hub of the wheel. Many vendors will provide a set of rings when you purchase wheels to fit your car. Rings can be hard plastic or metal.
Ok, so let's say The stock wheel w/ tire is 205/45/16 and ET+38. If I keep the same tire size, and same wheel width and diameter, but with an offset of +24 but I add a lug adaptor/spacer of 15mm (for sake of simplicity), will that make the new set +39?

Basically I'm looking to bag my mini, and want to know what wheels I can make work before I get something new. I'm trying to keep the width/offset close to stock so I know it will fit for a fact. I'm familiar with the hubcentric rings, so I can handle centerbore, but I've always done static suspension so I never really had to worry about fitment too much, because they either fit or they didn't, whereas now I have to make sure it will fit at different levels.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 AM
minihune
Ok, so let's say The stock wheel w/ tire is 205/45/16 and ET+38. If I keep the same tire size, and same wheel width and diameter, but with an offset of +24 but I add a lug adaptor/spacer of 15mm (for sake of simplicity), will that make the new set +39?

Basically I'm looking to bag my mini, and want to know what wheels I can make work before I get something new. I'm trying to keep the width/offset close to stock so I know it will fit for a fact. I'm familiar with the hubcentric rings, so I can handle centerbore, but I've always done static suspension so I never really had to worry about fitment too much, because they either fit or they didn't, whereas now I have to make sure it will fit at different levels.

No.

If your current wheel is 16x7" et38 and you use the same wheel with et 24 then the wheel would poke out 14mm more. Adding a wheel spacer would move the wheel further outward, resulting in another 15mm more poke for a total of 29mm.

This would be the same as using a 16x7" et9 wheel with no spacer.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 AM
Josh Bronto
Neutral
Originally Posted by minihune
No.

If your current wheel is 16x7" et38 and you use the same wheel with et 24 then the wheel would poke out 14mm more. Adding a wheel spacer would move the wheel further outward, resulting in another 15mm more poke for a total of 29mm.

This would be the same as using a 16x7" et9 wheel with no spacer.
Ahh, so basically as the et moves down, the wheel pokes out more. But if I find a wheel that's 16x7" et40 and I add a 12mm spacer, then I'll achieve the same offset - correct?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Once you go beyond 32/30 et with stock camber rubbing will be evident. Adding negative camber will be necessary utilizing adjustable rear control arms in conjunction with a tire size which provides some stretch to the sidewall, otherwise you'll be replacing a whole lot of fender liners and wheel well opening trim pieces every time you come across the slightest bump in the road.

IMO for a daily driver bags are risky business depending on where you live. One has to be very aware of height when adding passengers or you could have bag blow out....

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Josh Bronto
Neutral
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Once you go beyond 32/30 et with stock camber rubbing will be evident. Adding negative camber will be necessary utilizing adjustable rear control arms in conjunction with a tire size which provides some stretch to the sidewall, otherwise you'll be replacing a whole lot of fender liners and wheel well opening trim pieces every time you come across the slightest bump in the road.

IMO for a daily driver bags are risky business depending on where you live. One has to be very aware of height when adding passengers or you could have bag blow out....
Really? Even if I do a quality bag setup, this is a possibility?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:03 PM
minihune
Ahh, so basically as the et moves down, the wheel pokes out more. But if I find a wheel that's 16x7" et40 and I add a 12mm spacer, then I'll achieve the same offset - correct?
That would fit the same as a wheel 16x7" et28.

Compared to an OEM wheel (16x6.5" et48) this wheel would be 13.7mm farther away from inner suspension and poke out 26.4mm more.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Agent007pr
1st Gear
Hi All,

Has anyone gone through a 5 lug conversion? I'm doing mine right now (making 5x120mm wheel hub bearings). I'm going from R90s that have 7J ET48 to a set of 5-Star Double Spoke Anthracite Alloy Wheels from a Countryman 7.5J ET52. Does anyone see any fitment issues?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone see any fitment issues?
I don't sell anything for regular Mini that wide and high in offset. I'd be checking your suspension clearances.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Agent007pr
1st Gear
I have done preliminary fitment before the hub change and see that it's too close for comfort in the rear trailing arm. I was planning to add a 5mm spacer to it.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Here's an excellent on-line tool for checking out various wheel/tire combinations: http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp FWIW, we've run the KOSEI Racing 7x15 (et35) with 225/50x15 TOYO RA1's with no spacers and no problems.