Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brand new tires making weird noise.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 AM
mazeone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new tires making weird noise.

Just replace my run flats with conventional tires two days ago. I've noticed what I would describe as a wum wum sound in the 45-55mph range. I do not hear it at freeway speeds. I can also somewhat feel it on my backside coming thru the seat as well. I know there have been other threads on this but cannot seem to find them. Any info would be appreciated. 215/45-17 tire size. Thanks

Old 03-31-2015, 05:54 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Either take it back to the shop/store that did the install and have them show you the balance results for the rear tires/rims or try another store if you're not sure about the original installers. Noise is 1 thing, but when you start to describe a vibration that I'm assuming wasn't there before, something is off, out of balance, or you have a bad new tire or a bent rim.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Could be that or a bad alignment.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM
mazeone
1st Gear
Did not have any alternating wum noise or feel anything other than the road with the run-flats. This has obviously got to do with the new tires. Could air pressure be an issue, too low or high? Can't tell you what the pressure is at right now as i'm at work and just thought of it. Tires are Yokohama YK580.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
new tires often need a break in period ...

and some tires make noise .....

dig around tirerack.com

both topics are discussed

Old 03-31-2015, 03:19 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mazeone
Just replace my run flats with conventional tires two days ago. I've noticed what I would describe as a wum wum sound in the 45-55mph range. I do not hear it at freeway speeds. I can also somewhat feel it on my backside coming thru the seat as well. I know there have been other threads on this but cannot seem to find them. Any info would be appreciated. 215/45-17 tire size. Thanks
What model/make tires did you get?
How many miles on your car?

Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM
mazeone
1st Gear
afadeev they are Yokohama YK580. 08 Cooper S with just under 26,000 miles.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Did they remove the tire stickers?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 AM
mazeone
1st Gear
Yes Kaneguy. The stickers were removed.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 AM
mazeone
1st Gear
UPDATE. So I wanted to increase the air pressure to see if that would make a difference in the sound. Added 2lbs a tire, went from 34 to 36. Unfortunately as I already assumed this did not work. However it did stiffing up the ride and made the car feel less squirmy.

I had mentioned previously that I felt a vibration. I wanted to clarify. This is not a strong vibration. More of like when you hold an eyelash trimmer in your hands, probably even less than that. I do not feel it in the steering wheel. I feel it in my feet and my butt.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:39 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
UPDATE. So I wanted to increase the air pressure to see if that would make a difference in the sound. Added 2lbs a tire, went from 34 to 36. Unfortunately as I already assumed this did not work. However it did stiffing up the ride and made the car feel less squirmy.

I had mentioned previously that I felt a vibration. I wanted to clarify. This is not a strong vibration. More of like when you hold an eyelash trimmer in your hands, probably even less than that. I do not feel it in the steering wheel. I feel it in my feet and my butt.
Still sounds like rear tires or rims if you feel it in your ...seat....
The noise issue surprises me since usually people state LESS noise going to a Conv. Tire after having Run flats.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:12 AM
mazeone
1st Gear
So the verdict is in! Took the mini back to Discount to have re-balanced. They found one of the rims to have a dent in it on the inside. Brought me back to show me and sure enough it was dented, ever so slightly but still a dent. I asked them why I have never heard a noise before with the other tires. They said more than likely the bent wheel was on the back of the car. I have know idea if they are blowing smoke up my butt or not. They said I need a new rim or the tire will start showing ab-normal wear patterns.

Is it possible that I did not hear or feel anything cause the rim was on the back and I was running run-flats. For all I know they are the ones that dented it taking the old tires off with that tire prying machine. In their defense they did not even try and sell me wheels just said I need a new one.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some rims can be repaired quite cheaply. Yes, a bent rim on the back will make a vibration. The runflats probably made enough noise and vibration to mask the bent rim, but the tire installer should have noticed the bent rim initially; wonder if that is when it got bent? Odd being bent on the inside? Did their bead popping machine pinch it? Those runflats have very hard and stubborn sidewalls.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Keep your tires pressure on 33/34. Over pressure is not good for your tires.

Vibration on the steering wheel, then check your front wheels balance.
Vibration on your feet/seat, then check your rear wheels balance.

Vibration on both, steering wheel and your feet/seat too, change your car (just kidding )

Check your rear wheels balance and let us know (or check all yours wheels balance)!
You can rotate it between it too.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
2 psi more will not hurt your tires...as long as it is below the MAX psi imprinted on the tire....

You might call rim repair shop....sometimes they are even mobile, and will fix them while you wait...
Your new tires are likely lighter than the old runflats...so the unbalanced feel is not masked....

Old 04-07-2015, 05:03 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
TIRES... man so many threads about them... first I will preface with I do not have a manufacturer preference, I personally run several makes on my vehicles matter of what i want for that vehicle. Now with that being said...

I am currently running Continental Run Flats on my R52, overall good some road noise, great handling but a very stiff ride.
I have Good Years and Yokohama Performance tires on my R53s, great handling but I find the Yokohama noisier than the Good Year.

Miss Susan (my neighbor... 2007 R52 and a 2012 R56) I know she just went through 3 sets of tires on her R56 because she wasn't happy with the ride or road noise, she is currently running NEXEN tires on it now and from what I have felt they offer a great ride and are VERY quite on all road surfaces.

She is running Yokohama (non run flats) tires on her R52, the road noise doesn't bother her because its a convertible and there is a lot of wind noise.

So long story short.. you may find yourself searching for the right tire for what you want... a great way of getting a feel for what is out there is at a local MINI group where lots of MINIs and lots of tire options.

Last thing... If you hit something that was hard enough to dent a wheel, it was hard enough to mess up alignment geometry.

Motor on!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
So the verdict is in! Took the mini back to Discount to have re-balanced. They found one of the rims to have a dent in it on the inside. Brought me back to show me and sure enough it was dented, ever so slightly but still a dent. I asked them why I have never heard a noise before with the other tires. They said more than likely the bent wheel was on the back of the car. I have know idea if they are blowing smoke up my butt or not. They said I need a new rim or the tire will start showing ab-normal wear patterns.

Is it possible that I did not hear or feel anything cause the rim was on the back and I was running run-flats. For all I know they are the ones that dented it taking the old tires off with that tire prying machine. In their defense they did not even try and sell me wheels just said I need a new one.

Any thoughts?
It would be hard to bend a rim with a tire machine, esp. the later/newest machines. An old Center screw style, maybe I could see that.
Chip the paint or finish, yep, not hard to do at all even when you're careful.
As for the rim being bent at the inside bead, that's generally where I see most bent rims around here. Curb rash on the outside bead, and a small to large bend or dent on the inner bead.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Red
It would be hard to bend a rim with a tire machine, esp. the later/newest machines. An old Center screw style, maybe I could see that.
Chip the paint or finish, yep, not hard to do at all even when you're careful.
As for the rim being bent at the inside bead, that's generally where I see most bent rims around here. Curb rash on the outside bead, and a small to large bend or dent on the inner bead.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Agreed, and a run flat tire's sidewall are usually so stiff a slight ding on the inside lip would only detectable when you change to non run flats with the softer side wall.

These are not directional tires, but notice they have asymmetrical tread pattern and look a lot like Conti-Extreme Contact DWS's tread pattern. The Conti DWS will make some road noise, but typically only when an alignment is needed/required so may be the same in this case as well. Also make sure all tires should show sidewall branding indicating side facing outward.