Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

How many miles to expect from stock run flats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles to expect from stock run flats?

I have a 2011 MCS. Currently has about 20,000 miles on the odometer. Last time I took it in for the standard service they guy told me it was time for new tires. I told him I'd get back to him as I wasn't really excited about spending over $1000 on new tires without doing some research first. So my car has low miles for it's age, but is 3.5 years old now. No track time with this car.
I'm looking into the Bridgestone Driveguard run flats. The price is much more palatable at about $150 each installed and I've read good things about the ride quality. My previous R53 didn't have run flats as I changed wheels and tires almost immediately after purchase. I liked the ride of the non-runflats but nowadays I really need the run flat feature as this MINI is increasingly my daily driver.

So was the service guy trying to push me into new tires to up his quota or what?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 PM
J 13
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my '13 S has stock 16" RF 17k and still 7mm on all 4.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you looked at you tires....that will tell you!!!

You look at your tires yet? If you just trust the guy....you need them...and it is pretty hard to fake a tread depth measurement....a tire is either legal or not....and rarely do I ever get close to the legal limits, even with even tread wear....in anything more than light rain, a minimum legal tread depth tire sucks....
Runflats have come a long way....but the new bridgestones seem to be more of a minivan tire performance wise....

Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
That's why I was confused. They look like they have plenty of tread (I don't have any sort of official measurement). I am going by the tire store this week and the guy that has done tires for my truck seems to be very trustworthy. Talked me out of 4 new tires and just did 2 for my last visit with the truck.

Annette

Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
I have a 2011 MCS. Currently has about 20,000 miles on the odometer. Last time I took it in for the standard service they guy told me it was time for new tires. I told him I'd get back to him as I wasn't really excited about spending over $1000 on new tires without doing some research first. So my car has low miles for it's age, but is 3.5 years old now. No track time with this car.
I'm looking into the Bridgestone Driveguard run flats. The price is much more palatable at about $150 each installed and I've read good things about the ride quality. My previous R53 didn't have run flats as I changed wheels and tires almost immediately after purchase. I liked the ride of the non-runflats but nowadays I really need the run flat feature as this MINI is increasingly my daily driver.

So was the service guy trying to push me into new tires to up his quota or what?
NO, but it's good to check the tread depth yourself for ALL the tires.
Fronts wear out faster than rears, you get longer overall treadlife if you rotate tires about every 4000-5000 miles. If not then replacing just front tires
is common.

The Bridgestone Driveguards are new but they look OK and are a good value for a street use runflat for commuting. You don't really need some max performance summer tire to commute in that costs more and rides stiffer.

Generally once tread depth is at 4/32" it is time to replace the tires since hydroplaning happens right at that depth. If you see the tire wear bars you are past due. If one tire is more worn, then replace all four.

If treadwear on all four tires was relatively even then you don't need to do a four wheel thrust alignment. But if you have bad roads and note some uneven wear on even one or two of the worn tires then do an alignment with the purchase of new tires so that you can make better use of the tires.

Always make sure you have enough tire pressure. Cold 34-37 psi is fine.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 PM
vistech
Neutral
I agreed to you but i also want to say you It's very difficult to speed where I am. We have an RCMP detachment in town & there's quite a police presence on the road. that's way nothing shur can say any thing