Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tallest tire on an '08 MC hatch w/15" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM
andysinnh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tallest tire on an '08 MC hatch w/15" wheels

Hi everyone - my first post on the forum. I recently purchased a used 2008 MC Hatchback for my son's use as he learns to drive. He's an Asperger's kid so finding a car that drove as precisely as possible - while being as small as possible while being safe - was the goal. And the MINI was what fit him the best and I'm sure it's the right choice.

This particular car has higher miles (120k) but is showroom new - been fully dealer maintained - and drives like a dream. The dealer (Bedford NH Mini) did several maintenance items and a few fixes, and it included a new set of 175-65R15 Conti's on the stock 15" rims. However, given that I live in NH and that this car will be used by my son who needs all the winter traction he can get, my goal is to put a set of snows on separate wheels for the winter. So I've been looking at my options there.

However, my other son (who's on his own) just traded in his Civic for an Accord, and can't use the snow tires that were on the civic. The tires are a 195-65R15 Nokian Hakka R with a ton of usable tread left. I'd LOVE to use these tires on the MINI. But would they work? Tire calculations show that they'd be about an inch taller overall (1/2 inch on the diameter), and obviously a tad wider. Has anyone any experience in running taller tires on the stock 15" rims with any success? Would love to leverage in-stock rubber, but if they won't work, they won't work.

thanks for any insights you might have, and looking forward to contributing to the forum in the coming months.

Andy
Merrimack NH

Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
What year is the Civic? older models have 4x100 bolt pattern wheels that can fit the MINI but the new ones have 5 bolt pattern.

For winter wheels you can get steel 15x6" or alloys from Tirerack for cheap, $58 and from $85 each respectively.

The 195/65-15 tires will fit these wheels OK and although the tire is taller than OEM there is some clearance when using OEM suspension.

If you are willing to try this test fitment then you may find it will all be OK-
Get one of the MINI's wheels and one of the winter wheels from the Civic.

Go to a shop that mounts tires. Remove the OEM tire from the MINI wheel and put on that wheel the winter tire. Now test fit the winter tire on the MINI wheel on the MINI and see if it will fit front and rear without rubbing. It will be filling out the wheel well but it should be ok because the OEM 15" wheel is very narrow and the winter tire is worn/used and not as tall as it was when new.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 AM
andysinnh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
What year is the Civic? older models have 4x100 bolt pattern wheels that can fit the MINI but the new ones have 5 bolt pattern.

For winter wheels you can get steel 15x6" or alloys from Tirerack for cheap, $58 and from $85 each respectively.

The 195/65-15 tires will fit these wheels OK and although the tire is taller than OEM there is some clearance when using OEM suspension.

If you are willing to try this test fitment then you may find it will all be OK-
Get one of the MINI's wheels and one of the winter wheels from the Civic.

Go to a shop that mounts tires. Remove the OEM tire from the MINI wheel and put on that wheel the winter tire. Now test fit the winter tire on the MINI wheel on the MINI and see if it will fit front and rear without rubbing. It will be filling out the wheel well but it should be ok because the OEM 15" wheel is very narrow and the winter tire is worn/used and not as tall as it was when new.
Thanks much for the reply. Unfortunately the Civic is the newer 5-lug pattern so I can't use what I have. So only the tires themselves might be a candidate. I could certainly try what you suggested at my local shop and have them test-mounted to see about the clearance - but was hoping someone might have gone thru that already and saved me the task.

The task is pretty complicated in that I need wheels, tires, plus TPMS. I did price out a whole package thru tirerack using their $58 steel wheels, but the price hits the $8xx mark shipped, so was hoping to keep things cheaper if I could. I can find a few 15" wheels around via CL or even eBay that are local, but none have TPMS, so that'd be something I'd have to source anyhow. Alloys are running $200/set give or take, and the TPMS are nearing $200 for the set. So I'll keep poking - and if anyone else might have done the 15" test on their Mini with the 195-65's let me know!!!

BTW - I'm a long-time car owner (got license in 1973) and have a lot of experience with tires/rim combos. I was one of the first in NH to actually start using winter wheels/tires (with the original NOkian Hakka NR-10's studded). I've got a lot of experience with Honda's but this is my first MINI so having some questions about things.

thanks - andy

Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I used 195/65/15 studded snows mounted on aftermarket 15x6.5 wheels for my R50 (1st gen). No problems with rubbing. I am currently running 185/65/15 snows on my R56 - would not hesitate to use 195s if I had a set hanging around.