Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Custom 2-piece Rotors for JCW Brembos

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Custom 2-piece Rotors for JCW Brembos

Since nobody actually seems to make lightweight 2-piece brake rotors for the factory JCW Brembos I called up Todd at TCE to see about getting some made. We race the car in SCCA's STX auto-x class and brakes are "unrestricted" provided the rotor is equal or larger in diameter/width. I had the option of going with the DP6 13" Wilwood kit which is an excellent kit. The issues I had was that it was going to bias the brakes even more towards the front (which I didn't want) and wasn't going to save us any weight in the end. Although the caliper is lighter the rotor is larger (13" vs 12.4") so any weight savings is probably a wash. We don't have any issues with braking in the car at auto-x speeds so I didn't need better brakes. The ultimate goal was lighter brakes.

Todd was able to set me up with a custom 2-piece rotor in record time and so far I'm super happy with the new rotors. Weight loss was about 4 pounds per corner. As far as I'm aware these are the only ones like them so if you're interested give Todd a call and he can set you up. The rings are replaceable off the shelf units from Coleman so sourcing new rings is super simple. I got ones with a wide air-gap to help shed even more weight. If you were going to use them for track purposes you'd want to get the ones with more mass.

Besides light weight the 2-piece rotors transmit less heat to the wheel hub which increases the life of wheel bearings. It's also cheaper to replace the high-quality rings than it would be to replace the whole rotor each time. A big cost savings for those who track their cars heavily. Although honestly if you track your car heavily you're probably better off with one of the actual brake kits.

sorry for the crappy phone pictures...

The stock rotors weighed in at 15.8 lbs. These were really worn (just below minimum spec) so a new one would be a little heavier.

The aftermarket ones weighed in at 12.2 lbs. So I figured pretty much about 4 lbs difference.

Front...

Back. Rotors came with all hardware for putting together.

Installed...

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm sure it's perspective, but that Milwaukee impact looks "cute" lol.

Nice weight saving

Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! I guess if you have to ask how much you can't afford 'em, but I'm all the same, curious.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I'm sure it's perspective, but that Milwaukee impact looks "cute" lol.

Nice weight saving
Haha yep it does look kind of small down there. It's just the M18 Fuel impact.

Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Very nice! I guess if you have to ask how much you can't afford 'em, but I'm all the same, curious.
Actually I was pleasantly surprised at the price. The 2-piece rotors for the Subaru STI (one of my other cars) are something silly like $700 for the pair. These were a fair bit cheaper. I'm happy to talk specifics over PM or just call Todd. He's a super nice guy and very helpful. I'm sure if more people were interested the price could come down. Todd had to machine the hats to a custom offset for the mini which drives up the price. Apparently he's had a few people interested over the years but I'm the first one that has actually gone through with it.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
Haha yep it does look kind of small down there. It's just the M18 Fuel impact.

Actually I was pleasantly surprised at the price. The 2-piece rotors for the Subaru STI (one of my other cars) are something silly like $700 for the pair. These were a fair bit cheaper. I'm happy to talk specifics over PM or just call Todd. He's a super nice guy and very helpful. I'm sure if more people were interested the price could come down. Todd had to machine the hats to a custom offset for the mini which drives up the price. Apparently he's had a few people interested over the years but I'm the first one that has actually gone through with it.

Thanks V10. I've plenty of meat left on the stock rotors. I'll give Todd a call when I'm getting close. It would be convenient if enough JCW owners thought these were trick.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice! Hope they meet your expectations.

And yes the cost could come down some with qty and some other options- you'll note his race rotors don't bother with all that pretty zinc crap! lol No fluff, just function. Keeps the cost down too.

I've got the specs to do more if someone wants them.

Thanks for the plug! *And I don't mind if you want to share costs, up to you.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
They look very nice, do you know the exact diameter in mm and width? Also, can he do cross drilled, instead of slotted?
Thanks
Mario

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
They look very nice, do you know the exact diameter in mm and width? Also, can he do cross drilled, instead of slotted?
Thanks
Mario

The diameter and width is the same as the factory JCW rotor. So 316x22. I can't imagine that drilled rotors would be a problem but you'd have to call Todd and ask.

And since Todd doesn't mind me sharing... the rotors were right at $550 shipped. Super cheap in the world of 2-piece rotors especially when you consider these hats have to be machined and aren't entirely off-the-shelf pieces.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
thats a preety good deal, since the brembo replacement rotors at 320x28 are $400 side just for the rotor, not even the hat

Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Plain, slotted (how many do you want?), drilled, drilled and slotted....pick your option. The drilling will set you back $135 per set more than slotted. Plain save you $12 per rotor. Have to have them pretty zinc plated? No problem but that's going to drive up the cost with added shipping and plating costs also. *Given the compact nature of the pad I'm not sure there's any value in doing it but it up to you. It's a blank canvas guys.

The rotors used were a lighter casting and I think a couple bucks less than a heavier casting that would be directional also.

Size wise it's a stock fit but I do see they appear a bit close to the caliper on the top pic. Curious to know if the pads are flush or a tad below the rotor edge.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:11 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by toddtce
Plain, slotted (how many do you want?), drilled, drilled and slotted....pick your option. The drilling will set you back $135 per set more than slotted. Plain save you $12 per rotor. Have to have them pretty zinc plated? No problem but that's going to drive up the cost with added shipping and plating costs also. *Given the compact nature of the pad I'm not sure there's any value in doing it but it up to you. It's a blank canvas guys. The rotors used were a lighter casting and I think a couple bucks less than a heavier casting that would be directional also. Size wise it's a stock fit but I do see they appear a bit close to the caliper on the top pic. Curious to know if the pads are flush or a tad below the rotor edge.
I would love to have brakes for my 2013 GP, I know the calipers are the same from a BMW 135i, but not sure of the rotor. I would love to have cross drilled two piece for my GP. Possible?

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I would love to have brakes for my 2013 GP, I know the calipers are the same from a BMW 135i, but not sure of the rotor. I would love to have cross drilled two piece for my GP. Possible?
Miracles I do in a day. The impossible sometimes takes me a bit longer...

All I need is your stock rotor (or a reasonable used one) or some good dimensions and its all doable.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would this ever expand into the non-JCW size brakes? And how expensive are replacement rotors once you have the first set worn down? This is the area where it gets cheaper right? Well cheaper than a 1 piece all of the time if you are tracking.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by yetti96
Would this ever expand into the non-JCW size brakes? And how expensive are replacement rotors once you have the first set worn down? This is the area where it gets cheaper right? Well cheaper than a 1 piece all of the time if you are tracking.

Minimum size I'd do these in are the 316mm dia.

Replacement 'rings' cost can vary by the casting and the finish. They can run from $130 to $180ea.

I would not say that there is fully a savings in running 2pc hats/rotors.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Size wise it's a stock fit but I do see they appear a bit close to the caliper on the top pic. Curious to know if the pads are flush or a tad below the rotor edge.
Sorry this took so long for me to get to. I snapped some photos when I had the wheels off getting the car ready for the DC Pro Solo.

Since it's impossible to get a good picture of how the pad sits against the rotor while they're installed in the caliper here is a shot of the outside edge of the rotor. You can see the wear line where the pad is touching.

Here is a picture of the inner. It's close but I can't find any place the pad wear actually touches the "space"

Old 04-24-2014, 06:56 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
yeah, I'd do new ones a tick smaller to eliminate that and the minimal clearance to the bridge.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
todd have you ever thought about making replacements for the brembos 328x28?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Same hats larger rotors. Same price. Done it before.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Saw these pics on the TCE Facebook feed. Will finally be getting around to actually swapping off my front Brembos for Todd's smaller kit this weekend and then installing custom rear rotors for the rear. Will be keeping the stock calipers. We are on the fence as to any weight savings there. Will know by Sunday.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Same hats larger rotors. Same price. Done it before.
would i need your hats, or your rotors will fit the brembo hats?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Can you make them look like this? What is the advantage of the pretty plating?

Custom 2-piece Rotors for JCW Brembos-k62q4yal.jpg

Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
its a zinc coating, helps prevent rust

Old 04-26-2014, 12:02 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
its a zinc coating, helps prevent rust