Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best wheel size for a cooper s r53

Old 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hoof, a good set of coilovers will take care of your needs. Camber plates up front & adjustable control arms out back.
Alex, m|u=motoringunderground.com. Adjustable arms will help depending how much you lower. At stock ht? None needed.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 AM
mcs1984
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking to get a new set of wheels, and tires.

215/50/16 or (225/50/16) with 15mm offset 16 x 8 wheels

Will run continental DWS tires

Will they fit on stock setting?

I just install JCW suspension kit , with IRE non-adjust camber plate on the front.

The rear is stock setting.

Any common? or suggestion?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by mcs1984
I am thinking to get a new set of wheels, and tires.

215/50/16 or (225/50/16) with 15mm offset 16 x 8 wheels

Will run continental DWS tires

Will they fit on stock setting?

I just install JCW suspension kit , with IRE non-adjust camber plate on the front.

The rear is stock setting.

Any common? or suggestion?

Thanks
Both tire sizes fit the 16x8" wheel, but the 215/50-16 is not a common size so tire selection is very limited, tire diameter is closer to OEM at 24.5" which is good for clearance given the 8" wide wheel.

225/50-16 is taller than OEM at 24.9" and without negative camber adjustment you may have some risk of rubbing or the tires sticking out and not being flush with the wheel arches.
There are more tires to choose from in this size, depending on your needs a good example would be Continental ExtremeContact DWS $112 each but you'll have to look at your budget.

Compared to OEM 16" wheels, the 16x8" et15 is OK, inside clearance to suspension parts is fine, but the wheel and tire will stick out 1.7" or 43mm more. About 1" out tends to be flush so having some negative camber helps, the more adjustable the more control you have.

The alternative is to use a more narrow tire on the wide rims, tire stretching can be done safely for street use and you don't need to be extreme to get it to fit and give you more clearance. However a stretched tire may look best when you can also adjust ride height so that the tire tread edge looks tightly tucked under the arch.

Given that you have a JCW suspension, there may be a small wheel gap.

Last edited by minihune; 11-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:27 PM
2ndof2
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minsanity
A clearer pic of the R53 on 16s:
Could someone please tell me what wheel this is and a possible source to purchase a set?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Could someone please tell me what wheel this is and a possible source to purchase a set?
Minisanity said earlier in the thread that they're rotis

I think he meant they're
Rota Grid 16x8 et 20.

Edit: here's a link http://www.aspecwheels.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_27_1000_2025_2026

I've never done business with them though. Don't forget to get hubcentric rings, I think they're super important to get the hub bore sizes to match, and fit each other like a glove... The weight of the car should be carried properly on the hub center, not the lug nuts.

Last edited by AlexQS; 03-19-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:42 PM
burble_durble
1st Gear
I have the same question.

Originally Posted by c w
Just wondering what the best wheel and tyre size is cooper s r53

Would it be 15" 16" 17" 18" wheel size

Would be used for street

Thanks
What about wheel width? I have the stock 17x7's on my mini. I found 17x8.25 wheels I really like. But I'm afraid that might be a little too wide to fit.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burble_durble
What about wheel width? I have the stock 17x7's on my mini. I found 17x8.25 wheels I really like. But I'm afraid that might be a little too wide to fit.
Any thoughts?
Ya, seems a little wide. My instinct says no, but really you need more info to know. You need the ET of the wheel, and the tire size you'll use. Find an online wheel calculator too. The thing is, it will likely run into the strut in the inside, the clearance is pretty tight there. So with a different ET you can move the offset more to the outside, but then you could run into the fender, depending on the tire size. Some people do some suspension work to add negative camber, which makes the top of the wheel fit in under the arches at an angle, but it also makes the tire run mostly with the inside wearing unevenly. A race car might have negative two degrees of camber, but theres not many opportunities to push hard enough on the street ti use that. Very young people really like the look though.

If I had the money to do it right, so it didn't look stupid, I'd like an ET amount that brings the sidewall out to be flush with the outside of the wheel arch, with just a little tuck, but that also puts more stress on wheel bearings.

All that aside, in my opinion, 17x8.5 is too big and HEAVY. I replaced my factory wheels with Einkie RPF1. They are the same size as factory 17" wheels (17x7 I think), with 205 45 17, it seems nearly impossible to break them loose on dry pavement, and I push the corners pretty hard too. If there's any added grip to having a wider wheel, you'd never be able to realize it on the street. The only thing I ever wish for would be a slightly quicker "turn in", but as far as I know the only way to do that is to change the caster angle, and the only way to adjust that in a mini is to get a lower control arm bushing that has the hole slightly off center, there a PIA to change too, but someone makes them, ALTA I think.

The Einkies I mention are 10 pounds lighter than the factory 17" wheels (that's a huge difference), which makes the suspension work better, acceleration and deceleration take less effort. It's barely a noticeable difference for a street car. That 10 pounds per wheel savings would only amount to tenths of seconds in a 1/4 mile drag race, but removing that much mass from the rotating parts of the drivetrain is much like taking 150 pounds out of the trunk! Barely noticeable, but it's there.

They have just a little more or less ET too, again barely noticeable, but the stance looks a little cooler, and I like it! Congrats if you read through all of my ramblings,.. Hope it was helpful.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:22 AM
burble_durble
1st Gear
I did read it, and it was helpful.

Originally Posted by AlexQS
Ya, seems a little wide. My instinct says no, but really you need more info to know. You need the ET of the wheel, and the tire size you'll use. Find an online wheel calculator too. The thing is, it will likely run into the strut in the inside, the clearance is pretty tight there. So with a different ET you can move the offset more to the outside, but then you could run into the fender, depending on the tire size. Some people do some suspension work to add negative camber, which makes the top of the wheel fit in under the arches at an angle, but it also makes the tire run mostly with the inside wearing unevenly. A race car might have negative two degrees of camber, but theres not many opportunities to push hard enough on the street ti use that. Very young people really like the look though.

If I had the money to do it right, so it didn't look stupid, I'd like an ET amount that brings the sidewall out to be flush with the outside of the wheel arch, with just a little tuck, but that also puts more stress on wheel bearings.

All that aside, in my opinion, 17x8.5 is too big and HEAVY. I replaced my factory wheels with Einkie RPF1. They are the same size as factory 17" wheels (17x7 I think), with 205 45 17, it seems nearly impossible to break them loose on dry pavement, and I push the corners pretty hard too. If there's any added grip to having a wider wheel, you'd never be able to realize it on the street. The only thing I ever wish for would be a slightly quicker "turn in", but as far as I know the only way to do that is to change the caster angle, and the only way to adjust that in a mini is to get a lower control arm bushing that has the hole slightly off center, there a PIA to change too, but someone makes them, ALTA I think.

The Einkies I mention are 10 pounds lighter than the factory 17" wheels (that's a huge difference), which makes the suspension work better, acceleration and deceleration take less effort. It's barely a noticeable difference for a street car. That 10 pounds per wheel savings would only amount to tenths of seconds in a 1/4 mile drag race, but removing that much mass from the rotating parts of the drivetrain is much like taking 150 pounds out of the trunk! Barely noticeable, but it's there.

They have just a little more or less ET too, again barely noticeable, but the stance looks a little cooler, and I like it! Congrats if you read through all of my ramblings,.. Hope it was helpful.
Thanks!

Old 04-02-2016, 12:40 AM
minihune
17x8.25" might seem good but it really isn't unless you have a wide fender kit or wheel arch flares to accomodate the extra extra wide tire.

It is an option for those that want the slammed wide wheel narrow stretched tire look but the wheels will poke out quite a bit or slant inward with lots of negative camber to tuck in the shoulders of the tire back into the wheel well. It isn't too good for handling or tread wear but it is popular with young owners.

For most owners the best wheel tire combination is the one that fits without rubbing and gives the best handling and performance as required by the owner on roads they drive on. Part of that equation is a wheel that is well fitted to the tire size.

17x7" and 205/45-17 are OEM sizes. Up to 17x8" still fits 215/45-17 tires which will work with stock suspension but might rub with a lowered suspension (depends how much drop).

Wider than 8" wheels usually need 235/40-17 (tire diameter 24.3") or 245/40-17 (tire diameter 24.7"). Stock tire diameter is about 24.3". In addition the 40 series sidewall is very short and stiff which translates to a harsher ride quality but also better more responsive handling. You definitely get more weight with a wide wheel and tire and likely increase cost, especially the wheels.

Tire and wheel selection choices are reduced with extra wide sizes, there is just less demand.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:21 AM
Shartak
Neutral
Hello there MINI enthusiast !

After a decade asking myself why I haven't already a mini of mine, I finally bought one ! And what a great little car

I'm here today to ask you guys something, I live in France and the laws are a pain in the a**.

I want to change my wheels to something more "MINI" than the stock 17"x7 ET48 but it's complicated to choose from there since I don't have much information about the car.

The thing is that in France, your wheels and tyres can't stick out the body of the car, they have to be aligned with the fender and the tyre diameter has to be +/- 3% the same as the stock tyre size...

I want to go from 17x7 to 16x8 and I love the looks of the racing wheels Rota grid V or Japan racing JR 12 style. but I don't know if I can put those on my car without them to stick out...

Can someone help me with that ? I have made a lot of calc but haven't found any answers.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Abel Ferreira
Neutral
Is your mini lower, I'm trying to figure out what type of wheels and tire for my mini 03 cooper s. I'm trying to get out of the run flats. The question is what is the best tire size for a lower mini with 17" wheels ?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
You need to consider tire size and wheel offset ...

Will They Fit

Old 11-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 04 Monte Carlo (#225) was out fitted with these upon delivery at the dealer with these, R95 18 inch wheels and 225/40/18/ Love it and am not changing a thing.

Last edited by Bernard Barbour; 06-02-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Monte Carlo Anniversary
Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 AM
purplhaze
Neutral
17" Tenzo-R Type M

Just bought my first MINI, a 2006 S, which has 17" Tenzo-R M black wheels. Former owner did a lot of highway commuting. My use will be 95% street fun use (everything from really good pavement to back roads) with some light tracking eventually (nothing serious). I just got the car so no real impression yet or history to compare to (former cars were RX7s so a lot to live up to). No plans to change anything immediately but from what I've read, should I consider switching to light 16s at some point in the future? What's the lowest profile/widest tires these wheel wells will handle without rubbing?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:18 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A friend of mine has 15x8's on his R53. I understand that 15" tires will have more flex, but this car is one of the stiffest I have ever driven. I bought some 15x8's for my R56 after driving his car last year. IMO they look awesome too.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by purplhaze
Just bought my first MINI, a 2006 S, which has 17" Tenzo-R M black wheels. Former owner did a lot of highway commuting. My use will be 95% street fun use (everything from really good pavement to back roads) with some light tracking eventually (nothing serious). I just got the car so no real impression yet or history to compare to (former cars were RX7s so a lot to live up to). No plans to change anything immediately but from what I've read, should I consider switching to light 16s at some point in the future? What's the lowest profile/widest tires these wheel wells will handle without rubbing?
Looks amazing! Did you do the brake upgrade? What size front caliper? I want to do a Wilwood upgrade eventually. Would those fit in a 16 inch rim?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by c w
Just wondering what the best wheel and tyre size is cooper s r53

Would it be 15" 16" 17" 18" wheel size

Would be used for street

Thanks
Many choices but-

What suspension? OEM or dropped. Lowered means much less clearance and risk of rubbing especially in back
What front brakes? Base caliper or JCW (larger and limits smaller wheels that fit)
What is your intended use? Mostly street some spirited driving? Any autocross or high performance driving school?
What is your budget for wheels and for tires if needed?
What is your current wheel and tire setup and how is it working or not working for you?
Do you get cold weather or do you have snow tires for winter?

Many sizes of wheels and tires will fit the R53 Cooper S but each is different for all of the above. The clearer your needs and goals are the better fit can be made when choosing. Budget is a big concern.

15" wheels are possible, but need base front calipers not JCW or any big brake upgrade although some smaller wilwood brakes will fit some wheels. OEM is 15x5.5" but aftermarket wheels are easily found in 15x7". Lower cost and less weight are pluses but tire sizes are more limited to racing or autocross tires and All Season tires. The best Max Summer tires need larger wheels. For performance Ultra High Performance All Season and for street comfort- Grand Touring All Season tires are good choices for three season use (not heavy snow), more tread wear, lower noise and smoother ride. Sizes favor taller sidewalls (60 to 65 series) so softer ride and less sharp handling but OK for daily driver. No runflats in this wheel size.

Runflats if needed fit 16", 17" and 18" wheel sizes and offer safety if getting flat in bad weather, at night, or on busy roads when you don't want to stop. But ride quality is firm and not as comfortable. Tire selection is limited but OK. Otherwise plan ahead in case of a flat tire with non runflats.

16" wheels are OK, OEM is 16x6.5" and it's common to find good wheel selection in 16x7" with good prices and relatively lower weight about 15-16 lbs each. This allows tire sizes that are roughly 50-55 series so some comfort but some racing tires come in 45 series sidewalls. Some wheels will fit over JCW brakes.

17" wheels are common, OEM is 17x7" and aftermarket wheels in good selection can be found up to about 17x8" but cost more and weigh more. 17x7" seems well matched to 205/45-17 and 215/45-17 so no need or wider rims for most owners. Good overall tire selection for Summer or All Season tires. Fits over JCW brakes. 45 series sidewalls are firm riding but tire selection is key, some Max Summer tires are comfortable like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Super Sport while Ultra High Performance All Season tires are also good.

18" wheels are possible and OEM is 18x7" but cost and weight can be higher plus tire sizes favor stiffer sidewalls, easily fits over larger brakes and looks aggressive, not as smooth riding so bad roads are not friendly. 19" are also possible but have all the drawbacks of larger wheels.

So for those who daily drive either 16" or 17" seem a common choice. For those who want more performance 17" is a good place to start looking. Try tirerack.com

Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Russ Rauscher
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any Idea of the Rim/tire setup on this car.....I want it...lol!

Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I have 17x7 Enkei PF01 on my Mini S, with all season 205 45 17 tires.
If I ever get another set of wheels I may try 16 x 7 in a grey color for a smoother ride.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:30 PM
Jose Bermudez
Neutral

04 r53 on Raceland fullbody coilovers and the wheels are 16x8 Avid 1s waiting on new tires but even with what's on there it has a very nice ride smooth cornering but due to the width or current tires she doesn't like weight in the back

Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Jrodriguez51
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jose Bermudez

04 r53 on Raceland fullbody coilovers and the wheels are 16x8 Avid 1s waiting on new tires but even with what's on there it has a very nice ride smooth cornering but due to the width or current tires she doesn't like weight in the back

Im running Raceland coilovers and well, have you have any rubbing issues with those wheels and did you change/run anything new to be able to run that wheels size? I’ve been looking into 16x8s but with the Coilovers I had trouble running the stock wheels, had to run spacers up front to make them fit.