Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Feedback on GT Radial Champiro UHP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:41 PM
indiR53
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on GT Radial Champiro UHP

So, it's getting to be that time again and I'm looking for tires for my 04 R53. I happened upon the GT Radial Champiro UHP at America's Tire for $63 a piece. They're UHP all seasons which is what I need in the beautiful but often wet Northwest. So, long story short I know they can't possibly compare to the high end brands but I'm wondering how these might compare to things like Sumitomo and Falken tires.

I'd love a little feedback if anyone has any experience with the brand and more specifically the Chamipro UHP. This car is my daily driver, sees spirited driving but nothing over the top so I'm not looking for a no compromises tire just soemthing with decent handling in wet and dry conditions.

Thanks for any input

Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
GT Radial is "new" to the US tire market and is made in China.
see
http://blog.caranddriver.com/gt-radi...s-for-america/

Some owner reviews from the UK-
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/GT...ampiro-HPY.htm

The Champiro UHP1 appears to be a decent design for a Ultra High Performance Summer tire.

What about the Chammpiro HPY? V-Y speed rated Max/UHP Summer tire with 300 treadwear vs W speed rated 280 treadwear for UHP1?

Or Champiro 328? UHP all season tire, 280-460 treadwear, a little less handling for a smoother more quiet ride.

Consumer reports compared the Champiro UHP1 (rated 64) with similar UHP summer tires from Falken, Sumitomo and Hankook and they all were about 62-66. The UHP1 was best priced followed by Kumho Ecsta LE Sport.

see
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s-overview.htm

Bottomline, GT Radial is bargain priced and should work for street use. There is a 5 year limited warranty against defects.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:27 PM
indiR53
2nd Gear
@minihune I found the same info upon doing my research and am definitely thinking I'll try the UHP1 out due to the price factor and positive reviews. I'll report back once I've got some miles on them to let people know how they perform.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by indiR53
@minihune I found the same info upon doing my research and am definitely thinking I'll try the UHP1 out due to the price factor and positive reviews. I'll report back once I've got some miles on them to let people know how they perform.
I think you will be fine for street use.

GT Radial is trying to break into the US tire market and has to be well priced and decent in performance and wear if they want to be competitive.

Compared to other value based tire brands I would expect it to be on par.

Treadwear ratings are very subjective, really depends on how you drive and road surfaces.

The less you expect the more surprised you may be.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:45 PM
mikeym
2nd Gear
revival! Did the OP actually buy these? Heck they are so cheap now I almost can't resist.

Curious how they perform on the Mini Cooper - seem to be popular in the Chevy Cobalt SS crowd

~mikeym