Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Newbie Tire/rim Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 PM
shuey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Tire/rim Question

Heys guys I just bought a 06 s model, But I have questions

If i want to get rid of my run flats do i need to get to all new rims or can i use the stock rims.

I bought the car because of the fun and mostly because of the MPG's
I drive 90 miles daily to work and really dont want to buy new run flats every year.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
You can use the stock rims, or you can use the switch to convince yourself that you need new rims too.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'93 Caprices have rims. MINIs have wheels.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by shuey

If i want to get rid of my run flats do i need to get to all new rims or can i use the stock rims.

I drive 90 miles daily to work and really dont want to buy new run flats every year.
No, the runflats aren't made for specific rims or wheels. It's a tire like any other than can be removed from the rim they're on, and replaced with whatever you want.

You don't want to buy new run flats every year? I HIGHLY doubt anyone would buy new ones yearly, unless they really really rip up the pavement everyday, and wear them out very fast. Otherwise, a new set of runflats will last years.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shuey

I had my runflats removed a the dealer before taking delivery. I installed non runflats for the quieter and smoother ride and have no regrets. The cost of runflats is much higher than non runflats. MINI's can be tough on tires if driven agressively - seemingly the only way I can drive mine .

Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
I think you would be fine with non-runflats. It will give you the option of grabbing a set of tires more suited to your needs too. I would look at a set of high performance all season tires. Slightly better performance in most cases but with tread compounds usually built for some longevity as well as performance. I am going with a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 all season tires after doing my research. Great price, ranked up with Yokohama AVID ENVigor in tests, and seems to be an aggressive handler according to tire rack. Check out there website and you can do your research to get an idea of what you want out of your tires and which tire suits you best. My considerations were:

-close to OEM size
-better handling response
-good wet and dry grip
-ability to be driven through snow

The two tires were the Yokohama and Sumitomo for me, but the price sealed the deal! Good luck with the search and remember to check out Tire Rack.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
shuey:
Being new to MINI, I don’t know what size tire an 06 S takes, but if available and you are considering a performance All-Season, you might want to consider either the Bridgestone RE960AS or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
I had a set of the Bridgestone RE960AS on the car I traded for the MINI.
Ran the tires over a year and a half on a heavier, all wheel drive vehicle, and was more than pleased by their capabilities as well as their longevity. They gave up very little to a more dry-weather oriented tire in the dry.
At the time I purchased the tires, they were the best thing going in Ultra High Performance All-Seasons on the Tire Rack Site.
The Continental ExtremeContact DWS are newer and rate just a bit better over-all in the Tire Rack Surveys. However, the Contis rate poorer in Dry Traction and Cornering Stability than are the Bridgestones – both areas of interest for me.
Snow is not an issue for me, but I wanted some ability in the snow should I have to head north in the winter. Don’t know where you live or your circumstances so that may not be a consideration.
Just to further muddy the waters – my wife has Goodyear Eagle GT on her non-MINI daily Driver. I was not a fan of Goodyear from previous experience, but I have to report that she has run the snot out of these tires and that they are exceptional. In their day, they were one of the best.
Best of luck.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 AM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
One thing I failed to mention concerning the Bridgestones: IMHO, they are narrow for their indicated size.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I could only get about 7 to 8000 miles out of the front Dunlop runflats. Rears would last 3 times that long. Switched to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's. Carry a Slime pump, a bottle of Slime (last resort), a Dynaplug for very small punctures (Amazon.com), a Stop N Go tire plugger kit with applicator gun, and the usualy assortment of sticky worms. Running factory JCW wheels no problem.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM
bigfigg66
Neutral
i got another question, my wifes 07 cooper S needs new tires, Will the sensors work with regular tires?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfigg66
i got another question, my wifes 07 cooper S needs new tires, Will the sensors work with regular tires?
Yes.

Stick to the topic of the thread is best or start a new one.

To the OP,

Since you are driving quite far daily a longer wearing non runflat would work, just carry a full sized spare tire or compact spare in the boot or a can of slime in case of a flat.

If you have stock 16" wheels then- 195/55-16
In High Performance All Season tires:
Yokohama AVID ENVigor $92 each 560 treadwear
Or in 205/50-16 (Ultra High Performance All Season tire)
Continental ExtremeContact DWS $100 each 540 treadwear

If you have stock 17" wheels then- 205/45-17
Yokohama AVID ENVigor $101 each 560 treadwear
Continental ExtremeContact DWS $104 each 540 treadwear

Both of these are good commuting tires.

You can rotate tires front to rear every 4000 miles for better wear.