Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension GTT Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:54 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking @ the pics, it shows that the GTTSTB doesn't do anything for reinforcing the ST. What I am wondering is if you can put the M7STPs on and than the GTT using longer bolts and if you would have bonnet clearance.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tnoy66
Cheers matey

I feel an excuse to post some here too

Since the first batch were produced, he's now had the back edge milled out a bit more as can be seen in the MINI2 thread, post #168 or in this pic.

I'm currently waiting for his 2 lower braces. One is ready and waiting for me, the other is still 'in production'. Hopefully I'll have them in the next couple of weeks
Why'd you slip that Cooper picture in there

I'd like to know more about those lower braces.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
Looking @ the pics, it shows that the GTTSTB doesn't do anything for reinforcing the ST. What I am wondering is if you can put the M7STPs on and than the GTT using longer bolts and if you would have bonnet clearance.
I'm betting that wouldn't work.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:30 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by obehave
I'm betting that wouldn't work.
Just a thought. I do like the look of the GTTSTB though.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 AM
tnoy66
1st Gear
Why'd you slip that Cooper picture in there

I'd like to know more about those lower braces.
It was the best pic of the new machining at short notice, plus it proves it fits on coopers and saves the inevitable question

As for the lower braces, the one he's got ready is another big chunk of aluminium and sits somewhere near the cat and is held in place by 4 bolts to prevent any twisting at the mounting points.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-ty...-1st-pics.html

The other one 'in production' sits in the same place as the lower OMP brace and I've heard it's a TIG welded stainless steel tube set-up, like the OMP one (OMP isn't stainless), but larger diameter These details to be confirmed later.

He's also mentioned possibly producing some strut top reinforcement plates which fit under the bodywork to prevent mushrooming If and when these would be available I have no idea.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:59 AM
obehave
6th Gear
It was the best pic of the new machining at short notice, plus it proves it fits on coopers and saves the inevitable question

As for the lower braces, the one he's got ready is another big chunk of aluminium and sits somewhere near the cat and is held in place by 4 bolts to prevent any twisting at the mounting points.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-ty...-1st-pics.html

The other one 'in production' sits in the same place as the lower OMP brace and I've heard it's a TIG welded stainless steel tube set-up, like the OMP one (OMP isn't stainless), but larger diameter These details to be confirmed later.

He's also mentioned possibly producing some strut top reinforcement plates which fit under the bodywork to prevent mushrooming If and when these would be available I have no idea.
Thanks.
I really like my OMP lower brice. One of the better low dollar(pound) pieces I've bought.
If you talk to Roland about this make sure he includes the needed bolts with the brace he's planning to release. They are recommended single use bolts. That would be a nice feature.

Can't believe I missed this on MINI2

Old 11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
neilgj
4th Gear
What's odd is that I really liked the look of the brace until I saw the pictures of it installed. Go figure!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
FWIW, in the MINI2 thread (post #150) Roland made the following comments with regards to mushrooming. His usual style is to be very dismissive of competitors' products while praising his own but he does usually make points worth thinking about. Later in the same thread mikeythemini followed up with a post that he has seen a UK customer with mushrooming.
the GTT brace has an 'anti mushroom' built in as the round raised centre section of the tower is designed to almost touch the underside of the brace when clamped up ,if it were to try to bend up, (youd need a hell of a smack, that would buckle the wheel first anyway) then the end pan of the brace to a degree will prevent this distortion in the tower. Having said that Ive never seen a Mini thats mushroomed over here anyway. To achieve maximum resistance to mushrooming , the reinforcement plate idealy wants to be UNDER the tower not on top of it ( M7's plate) anyway. It needs to have maximum resistance to bending and spanning as much area under the tower to spread the load as much as possible. I think we may do one this way at some point. Remember even if a plate on top were 2 inchs thick,its still only clamped in 3 places ,the area outside this 'circle' of the 3 bolts can still bend. -you have to spread the load over a bigger area, that is the answer . A secondary plate on top is Ok but its the lower plate thats realy giving the solution.
Best Regards Roland GTT

Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 PM
tnoy66
1st Gear
Thanks.
I really like my OMP lower brice. One of the better low dollar(pound) pieces I've bought.
If you talk to Roland about this make sure he includes the needed bolts with the brace he's planning to release. They are recommended single use bolts. That would be a nice feature.

Can't believe I missed this on MINI2
I was a bit suprised you hadn't seen it

Yes the lower OMP are very good........even Roland says they're ok

I think they'll be coming with new bolts, the other one comes complete with the correct bolts and spacers for if you've got a larger than standard cat fitted

Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
tnoy66
1st Gear
Originally Posted by neilgj
What's odd is that I really liked the look of the brace until I saw the pictures of it installed. Go figure!
I know I don't take great pics but didn't think they were that bad

It looks far better in real life

Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
I know I don't take great pics but didn't think they were that bad

It looks far better in real life
It's not the photo It's just the look of the brace when actually installed. It doesn't "go" with the car - by me. Maybe the black would change my mind.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 PM
obehave
6th Gear
It's not the photo It's just the look of the brace when actually installed. It doesn't "go" with the car - by me. Maybe the black would change my mind.

It appears to match the suspension components color quite well though.

Or do you mean the upper brace?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
It appears to match the suspension components color quite well though.

Or do you mean the upper brace?
Yes. I meant the upper brace.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:38 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Yes. I meant the upper brace.

Ahhhh

Old 11-18-2006, 05:54 AM
tnoy66
1st Gear
More pics, black fitted

And now available in red
Coloured braces cost more than the standard finish.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Ordered the lower brace today.

Too bad the upper is just so dam expensive. The exchange rate stinks and then add shipping.
Bummer.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:00 AM
tnoy66
1st Gear
Ordered the lower brace today.

Too bad the upper is just so dam expensive. The exchange rate stinks and then add shipping.
Bummer.
Lower brace......... sorry I cost you some $$$ by mentioning it, but I'm sure you'll love it

The upper is expensive but definately worth it, though mine keeps costing me even more Already paid to ship it back for the extra machining and now I'm thinking of sending it back again for one of his new colour finishes just waiting on a few more details about the new finishes

If I see any 2nd hand ones come up for sale in the future, I'll let you know

Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Lower brace......... sorry I cost you some $$$ by mentioning it, but I'm sure you'll love it

The upper is expensive but definately worth it, though mine keeps costing me even more Already paid to ship it back for the extra machining and now I'm thinking of sending it back again for one of his new colour finishes just waiting on a few more details about the new finishes

tnoy66
What was the extra machining that you sent your bar back for? By the way, the finish on the bar is Powder Coated. It would be much cheaper for you to find a local company to do it for you I'm sure. By the way the satin red one is for my GP. I can't wait to see it!
Sorry I just noticed that your on the other side of the pond.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:25 PM
obehave
6th Gear

No probs. I'm starting on some suspension chassis work and this looks like something worth trying. The OMP brace was a hit as far as I'm concerned. If this adds to it I'll be happy.

If you do come across a 2nd hand one please do give me a PM here or on MINI2 or both

Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 AM
tnoy66
1st Gear
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
tnoy66
What was the extra machining that you sent your bar back for?
After the first ones were produced, he started to remove a bit more metal from the back edge, I had a lining clip/screw rubbing on that edge
No problems since

If you look at the pics I posted earlier you should be able see the difference and I can see yours has the new machining

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG.... I just found this, and have been reading everything on Mini2 and at GTT about it.... hubba, hubba, hubba..... gotta have one....

Anyone else gotten one since this thread went stale in 2006? I'm particularly interested in seeing a red one installed...

Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was tooling around in here and thought the name sounded familiar. In case anyone isn't in the know, this is the same company that makes this!
http://www.gtt.uk.com/brakes.asp
Oh, and the brace is beastly. It's nice to see a good looking piece that fits the '50. Just too bad it doesn't seem like it would offer the mushrrom protection of the M7 unit.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Bhozar
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The brace is great and it has had an effect on handling that you can measure with a stop watch on a track.

Those brakes are great too. I have Carbotech XP8 pads in mine and they stop like you just wouldnt not believe!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
sold as a brace rather than as anti mushroom, it works well

Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Love your car, Bhozar

I have camber plates now, so I'm less concerned about giving up my M7 STP's.

Quick Reply: Suspension GTT Strut Brace