Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Ireland Engineering "Fixed" Camber plates?

Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 AM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Engineering "Fixed" Camber plates?

Has anyone installed these? I would like to see a picture of them if anyone would be so kind as to post one.

I am wonder if there may be a cross reference BMW part that would work. I know the E36 M3 upper strut mount give more caster and camber and they can be used on non M E36 models. Just wondering if these are a similar part.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
I also am eagerly awaiting a picture and maybe even a review of the install. The idea is great. 1.25 neg is a very good compromise setting (street/track) and the use of a rubber upper mount means no bone jarring pot holes.

Wes

Old 06-17-2005, 05:17 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Morefun is intalling these???

Old 06-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Morefun
2nd Gear
Yep, they are THE cheap and streetable answer. Most of us don't need adjustable, spherical bearing (hard riding) camber plates for canyon running or several track days a year. The stock front strut bushing (cup/plate) is cut down and bolted to a machined 3/16 plate that in turn plugs into the stock mounting holes. Dead nuts simple! There are not any photos on Ireland Engineering's website of the plates so I'll post the ones that I took before the install with the Bilsteins. At stock ride height they result in about - 1.25 neg camber, with the PSS9s installed and the ride height set a height similar to H-Sports springs - about 24 3/4 inches from floor to top of fender lip, I got - 2.0 degrees neg camber.

Onasled and I were at LRP for a DE yesterday and the car was transformed - no vices, peroid. My instability when hard braking was history and in fact the car rides better than stock, better than with the M7 springs and better than with the H-Sport springs. I am very, very happy with the set up. No compromises!

When you call Ireland Engineering to place your order, ask for Jeff, I suggest that you ask him to tack weld the "upper" mounting bolts in place as the inside bolt is very hard to get at.

Cheers,

Morefun

P.S. - Onasled' is very quick on the track

Old 06-17-2005, 06:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Could you guys supply some picture? Do they have a web site?

Originally Posted by Morefun
Yep, they are THE cheap and streetable answer. Most of us don't need adjustable, spherical bearing (hard riding) camber plates for canyon running or several track days a year. The stock front strut bushing (cup/plate) is cut down and bolted to a machined 3/16 plate that in turn plugs into the stock mounting holes. Dead nuts simple! There are not any photos on Ireland Racing's website of the plates so I'll post the ones that I took before the install. At stock ride height they result in about - 1.25 neg camber, with the PSS9s installed and the ride height set a height similar to H-Sports springs - about 24 3/4 inches from floor to top of fender lip, I got - 2.0 degrees neg camber.

Onasled and I were at LRP for a DE yesterday and the car was transformed - no vices, peroid. My instability when hard braking was history and in fact the car rides better than stock, better than with the M7 springs and better than with the H-Sport springs. I am very, very happy with the set up. No compromises!

When you call Ireland Racing to place your order, ask for Jeff, I suggest that you ask him to tack weld the "upper" mounting bolts in place as the inside bolt is very hard to get at.

Cheers,

Morefun

P.S. - Onasled' is very quick on the track

Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Morefun
2nd Gear
I'll get the phone # and website info at lunch time. I'll try to post the photos today as well.

Cheers,

Old 06-17-2005, 07:08 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Click the link! No pics on the website.

https://secure7.nexternal.com/shared...&CategoryID=52

Just a warning. My camber in the front is -0.75 (L) and -1.25 (R), on H&Rs. I'd caution against using these if you live in my world, where camber is grossly unequal from the factory/from routing driving (?). You'll still have the same discrepancy with the fixed plates.

I just have to wait to get my hands on some good used adjustable plates

Marty

Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually having different camber on each side of the car is not a huge issue. I think Morefun is getting 1.9 and 2.0 which is just fine.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
but 1/2 a degree difference is 5 times more than what he's dealing with. Even with my last alignment, it STILL pulls hard to one side (with newish tires, just mounted and balanced on true wheels).

Marty

Old 06-17-2005, 09:59 AM
meb
6th Gear
MartyR,

Have you determined the actual cause of the difference between left and right camber? Being a little off is usually not an issue as Onasled wrote - we're not running F1 cars.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
MartyR
5th Gear
No, I have not. The shop that did the alignment has seen a few other MINIs with a similar problem, but they weren't able to offer any explanation, either.

Still, I'd rather invest in adjustable camber plates so I can run -1 to -1.5 street, and -2 to -2.5 track.

M

Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
meb
6th Gear
Do you know if this condition is similar to the other cars? Meaning, is the camber off the same amount on each side?

The Mini's engine/transaxle/mission is mounted to the strut towers. I wonder if there is some uneven stress causing this condition??

Any other measurements off?

Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it is common. I believe mine used to be off also befor the camber plates.
Actually, what side has the most camber? Wonder if you sit in the driver seat if it evens out?

Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
meb
6th Gear
That's a problem!

Onasled, you've done a lot of work to your car including corner weighting etc.,and, you track your car often. Do you notice any weirdness in left right, right left transitions? Grip weirdness...obviously a technical term.

Michael

Old 06-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Morefun
2nd Gear
I see that MartyR got meb to Ireland Engineering's web site. I'll get the photos on asap. For $150 they are worth a try!

Cheers,

Old 06-19-2005, 07:42 AM
meb
6th Gear
Actually Morefun,

I went to Ireland Engineering's website based upon your recommendation.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Morefun
2nd Gear
Photos of Ireland Engineering's Fixed Camber Plates

Sorry for the delay - here the photos before the install with new PSS9s...

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Ireland Engineering "Fixed" Camber plates?-jun20354.jpg   Ireland Engineering "Fixed" Camber plates?-jun20355.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 AM
scobib
5th Gear
Very, VERY few people that I know that run adjustable camber plates actually ADJUST them after track events or autocrosses. Most just lock them in to a setting and leave them there. So, fixed plates make a whole lot of sense. On my Dad's track/autocross car (E30 BMW), we simply installed offset lower control arm bushings and offset upper strut bushings (both from the E30 M3) and WALLAH, -2.5 degrees camber wit his H&R springs/Bilstein SP setup.

I wonder what I would get with my H&R springs/Bilstein SP setup? I'm running about -0.9 right now. -2.2 would be superb, as is proven to be one of the more popular setups, with -1.0-1.2 in the rear.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I think there was a post in one of the autocross forums on NAM about the front camber being off from side-to-side.

Check it out, they had a fix.

Edit - here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amber+subframe

Old 07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
meb
6th Gear
I would expect some differences left to right with any of the three critical alignment specs. The bushings are very flexible and getting any alignment machine to 'produce' equal numbers is extremely difficult. If one were to sneeze hard enough while standing next to a car on an alignment rig, the specs might change.

'Close enough' works for most production cars with mostly production components. I personally do not get hyped up over small differences.

I'm still considering the fixed plates based upon Morefun's experience and advise. My only hesitation is that my daily commute includes 46 miles of high speed highway driving. This type of driving will wear tires a bit faster than say a curvy country road. I may need a little less that 1.5 degrees. I dunno for sure...

Old 07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
betet
4th Gear
increase ride height?

I know that the other adjustable camber plates out there add some amount to the height of the car... does this fix one have the same problem?

thanks

///Gilbert

Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Morefun
2nd Gear
The Ireland plates "raise" the front by 3/16 of an inch...... After 1,500 miles of rough back roads and two DEs, I'm a very happy customer! It would appear that they offer the best of both worlds - street compliance and track performance. No evidence of excessive tire wear yet. I'll keep you posted. BTW, Ireland Engineering's website now has photos posted. If you order a set ask that the mounting bolts be tack welded into place, it will save you alot of agravation.

Cheers

Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Jeff Ireland told me yesterday he will have a set of street adjustable, and race adjustable camber plates coming out very soon and the price is MUCH more palatable than some of the other adjustable plates that are currently available.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:48 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BidiMINI
Jeff Ireland told me yesterday he will have a set of street adjustable, and race adjustable camber plates coming out very soon and the price is MUCH more palatable than some of the other adjustable plates that are currently available.
That sounds great! More choices is always good, especially quality at affordable prices!

Old 07-16-2005, 05:43 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Very, VERY few people that I know that run adjustable camber plates actually ADJUST them after track events or autocrosses.
Anyhow, you guys get that you don't buy adjustable camber plates so that you can adjust them at the event site? Each time you change the camber, it will change your toe setting as well. Just like you don't buy adjustable spring perch coilovers thinking that you will drop the car for your autocross and then raise it up to drive back home...

You get adjustable camber plates because each suspension set up is different. For example, if all other things are equal, to work optimally a stickier tire will require more negative camber than a harder tire.

I think that the fixed plates are a great idea, though. Any negative camber is better than none And a reasonably priced solution is sweet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Ireland Engineering "Fixed" Camber plates?