Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Yet Another Harsh Ride Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Edward S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another Harsh Ride Question

OK in a nut shell, I'm trying to soften the harsh ride of my R57. I don't track the car, more of a cruiser/daily drive. I've traded in the RF's for Bridgestone Potenza's that I'm really happy with, standard springs, but the stock struts have too much compression.
Here are the alternatives I came up with:
Bilstein B4 touring about 80 bucks each
Bilstein B6 HD's about 190 ea.
Koni FSD about 220.
I've used Bilstein in the past and been very happy.
SO... is the extra money worth it? Or am I just sacrificing ride for performance again with the more expensive struts?
thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks all

Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I replaced with FSDs a few years ago and are very happy with them. Many will recommend Bilstein too as they are popular but when these expire I will definitely stay with them.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Strutmonkey
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommend B4s or FSDs. The B6s are fantastic, but probably too firm for your liking. also, consider swapping your springs for softer non-S springs.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward S
OK in a nut shell, I'm trying to soften the harsh ride of my R57. I don't track the car, more of a cruiser/daily drive. I've traded in the RF's for Bridgestone Potenza's that I'm really happy with, standard springs, but the stock struts have too much compression.
Here are the alternatives I came up with:
Bilstein B4 touring about 80 bucks each
Bilstein B6 HD's about 190 ea.
Koni FSD about 220.
I've used Bilstein in the past and been very happy.
SO... is the extra money worth it? Or am I just sacrificing ride for performance again with the more expensive struts?
thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks all
Just as an fyi, the Bilstein B4 are oem replacement shocks (same valving as oem). They come in regular and sport suspension. Unless you have sport suspension and move to the regular suspension shocks your ride wont change at all.

The B6 HD are stiffer than B4.

What size wheels are tires are you running? Id move down to 16in wheels. Also would consider getting a shorter and or softer set of bump stops. These cars spend a lot of time on the bump stops.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Strutmonkey
Neutral
Yes, B4s come in std and sport. I would get the std version and non-S springs. And non-S bumpstops of course. Recommend riding in a base cooper non-S and see if it is better for you. I think it will be.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Titleist76
2nd Gear
I agree with downsizing to 16's. They give you a little more adjustability being able to dial in a tire pressure to your liking.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Edward S
Neutral
Thanks for the replies.
I'm currently running 215/45-17 Potenza re 760's, I went slightly higher profile than my RF's were. I also didn't think I had sport suspension but I guess all S Models come with it?? I didn't really want to raise the stance of the car if I can help it but if that's what it takes to not lose my fillings I guess I can live with it. How much will the non-s springs raise it It sounds like I may have to sell a kidney to pay for a set of FSD's. I just can't believe I have to spend almost a grand to correct the ride of a car I spent 16k on

Last edited by Edward S; 01-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:21 PM
Edward S
Neutral
Sorry don't know what the heck happened with that post?

Old 01-18-2017, 04:31 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward S
Thanks for the replies.
I'm currently running 215/45-17 Potenza re 760's, I went slightly higher profile than my RF's were. I also didn't think I had sport suspension but I guess all S Models come with it?? I didn't really want to raise the stance of the car if I can help it but if that's what it takes to not lose my fillings I guess I can live with it. How much will the non-s springs raise it It sounds like I may have to sell a kidney to pay for a set of FSD's. I just can't believe I have to spend almost a grand to correct the ride of a car I spent 16k on
Sport suspension was an option on all mini's. Standard S did not come with it, it was an additional option. I do not believe the ride height is any different between sport and standard suspension. The ride height is different on JCW models with the JCW suspension option. If i remember correctly, the actual shocks/struts have a sticker on them that says "sport" if you have that option.

The ride on these cars was never meant to be compliant. It was designed to be "sporty". Compliant and "go kart" are two very different tuning directions from a ride standpoint.

I would try softer/shorter bump stops before dropping a grand on new shocks. Unfortunately swapping the bumpstops involves the same steps as swapping the shocks... Or you could try and find a set of oem non sport take offs in the marketplace.