Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Rear Control Arm Repository

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:14 AM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Control Arm Repository

Hey fellow Minians,

After searching through this and many other Mini and non Mini forums, I thought to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be great if you could find a detailed empirical based resource that covers multiple brands of rear control arms?" "That would be ****," myself proclaimed!
Since nothing like that turned up after a long and arduous forum search on NAM, I figured I'd take a shot at it.

I'm researching suspension mods and would appreciate hearing your hands on experience with adjustable rear control arms, otherwise known as rear camber links.

The plan for our R58 S: install summer ultra performance tires/Spec-R Swift Springs/new Rear Sway Bar/adjustable rear control arms for non competitive Autox, spirited daily driving and hopefully a HPDE day... or two... ::cough cough:: or three.

Question #1
There seem to be two distinct styles.
(a)What are the functional differences between them?
(b)Is one more desirable than the other?

There are a lot of brands available for the 2nd Gen, however, my research has failed to help me determine which are a solid fit (quality, features, etc) for my purposes. I'm also aware there's a high probability that white label products (designed and/or manufactured by a second party) are in the mix. Here are the brands I've cataloged to date...(if there are any missing let me know and I'll update the list)
  • Hotchkis (also referred to as H-sport)
  • Eibach
  • Alta
  • NM Engineering
  • Helix
  • SPC Performance
  • M7 Maxx G
  • Forge
  • Donald the Bonald that name
  • Megan Racing
  • Hamburg Technic

Question #2 How do they compare against each other? (i.e. Pros, cons, performance, noise, installation, longevity, maintenance, warranty, every tidbit helps).

Question #3 For a million dollars, "which brands provide the best bang for the $ for my intended use?"
*Note* "best bang for the $" does not necessarily mean "cheapest" in my book.

Please chip in if you have hands on experience with any of the above manufactures. If you have tried multiple brands even better! That experience may be positive, neutral, or negative. Whatever it is, as long as you're descriptive and constructive, your input is welcome. This is a fact finding mission after all.

Thank you for your time!

The following users liked this post:
r56blacki (09-23-2021)
Old 11-19-2016, 03:27 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I put 50k miles (including 4 Buffalo NY winters) on my Alta control arms. These are a heim joint type (no urethane bushings), and I didn't have them loosen up or get noisy when I had them.

Mike

Old 11-20-2016, 05:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I've pretty much installed every brand available and I can tell hands down the Hotchkis ones are the best. I've got several customers including myself that have had them on their car since 2004 without issue so we know they are reliable for sure.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-spor...ber-links.html

I always avoid the heim joints as I've seen multiple sets wear out within weeks of install, not to mention the noise from them. Also most AutoX classes don't allow you to use heim joints for the classes. So the poly bushings in the Hotchkis are ideal.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I put 50k miles (including 4 Buffalo NY winters) on my Alta control arms. These are a heim joint type (no urethane bushings), and I didn't have them loosen up or get noisy when I had them.

Mike
Thank you Mike:: How did the install go?

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've pretty much installed every brand available and I can tell hands down the Hotchkis ones are the best. I've got several customers including myself that have had them on their car since 2004 without issue so we know they are reliable for sure.

I always avoid the heim joints as I've seen multiple sets wear out within weeks of install, not to mention the noise from them. Also most AutoX classes don't allow you to use heim joints for the classes. So the poly bushings in the Hotchkis are ideal.
Thanks for the info Way Do you mind going more into what sets them apart?

Anyone else care to share their data?

Last edited by Mini Chris; 11-20-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini Chris
Thanks for the info Way Do you mind going more into what sets them apart?

Anyone else care to share their data?
Not much on details the Hsport are poly bushings on the ends rather than heim joints. So they don't have metal to metal joints that will wear. The poly works like a rubber bushing just more durable and therefore they don't wear out. Only other important fact is that we've been installing the Hsports since 2004 and never had to replace a set for being worn out. But with heim joint arms I've replaced multiple sets and some within two weeks of installing them. And since we warranty our work we don't want to loose money doing a job a second time so I stick with the Hsports as my recommendation.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i've only ever used the Hsports but def a +1 for them. they're way over built, look amazing, fit is perfect, installation is simple. i believe you can get up to 4* of camber out with them

Old 11-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
+1 for me too on the H-Sports. I have installed on lower only. Work great and everyone who sees them comment on their appearance: beefy and purdy.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM
ThEgMaNofCourse
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

Way, when installing the Hotchkis C-arms, did you grease them with the silicone grease as per suggested by Hotchkis? I've installed mine a few months ago and I cannot get rid of a knocking noise that I suspect is coming from the arms. I replaced both top and bottom. do you happen to know the suggested torque spec also?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2017, 01:37 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This is just my experience with the HSport Control Arms on 2008 Clubman S

Installed for new alignment because we could not get the car to come into spec with OEM arms in place. Never was correct from the factory.

Put the HSport in in Oct 2011and drove thru a New England Winter. I do keep the car cleaned at least once a week and alwys spray under the car well to get the salt and crap off.

In May of 2012 only 7 months later a wel failed on the lower control arm and the end split away from the shaft.

Hotchkis would do nothing for me. Not even give me a $50 cred8t toward purchase of a new one. In my mind that is horible customer service. Took them all off and will never deal with Hotchkis again.

Went with Megan Racing and they have more than 70K miles on them and are still working great. Never have problems with adjustments when the car gets aligned for winter and summer tire change overs.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:33 AM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Dorman control arms

Just installed these, upper and lower. Havent seen much info on them. Will head to the mountains, I.e. Helenblitz Feb 2019, but the car is my DD. Have a few other repairs to do and after I have had it aligned and Rolling for a few weeks I'll post back here.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:05 PM
ojamir
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 AM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ojamir
No complaints so far. Plenty of adj range and refresh of their bushings, which is what I wanted

Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
A quick note from a mechanics view, make sure you neutralize, align and tighten the joints/bushings when installing ANY suspension/steering parts, this is done ideally on a ramp style hoist with suspension fully loaded. If you don't you are going to have wear issues and possibly damaged/broken suspension parts. Have fun with your mods!