Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension What do I need apart from shocks + springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:53 PM
xSpartanCx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do I need apart from shocks + springs?

I'm interested in buying Koni Yellows + NM RS Alpha lowering springs but I'm not sure where to go from there. Am I going to need to disassemble the stock suspension and transfer everything over? How hard is that to do? Would I be better off buying some sort of kit that assembles everything better?

Old 11-02-2016, 03:55 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes, you will need to disassemble the stock struts and transfer the hardware over to the new struts. You will also need to drill out the top hats in the rear, this is minor.

If you want to install a new rear sway bar, it is easy to do at the same time. I also recommend Ireland engineering fixed front mounts for additional camber.

Front shocks are adjustable in car, but not the rears. I'm running the softest recommended setting on mine, but see what you want to do.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 11-02-2016, 06:06 PM
xSpartanCx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mbwicz

If you want to install a new rear sway bar, it is easy to do at the same time. I also recommend Ireland engineering fixed front mounts for additional camber.
What will these help me with? Is this the front side equivalent of the rear adjustable control arms?

Also, are the upper control arms worth getting, or just the lower ones?

Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xSpartanCx
What will these help me with? Is this the front side equivalent of the rear adjustable control arms?

Also, are the upper control arms worth getting, or just the lower ones?
It will give you more negative camber. This will greatly improve handling and reduce understeer in addition to the springs/shocks.

I run Koni Yellows, Swift Spec R springs, IE fixed front camber plates and Hotchkiss lower rear control arms. Only lowers are needed.

You should look into springs like mine as they're the only linear ones to my knowledge for this car.

Also remember NOT to ever run full soft/stiff on a Koni. Always back off 1/8 turn. Rears can be accessed if you want to drill into car. Otherwise just try 1 turn from full soft.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM
cooper a
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Also remember NOT to ever run full soft/stiff on a Koni. Always back off 1/8 turn. Rears can be accessed if you want to drill into car. Otherwise just try 1 turn from full soft.
What is the problem with running KONI on full soft/ full stiff? I had driven 50K miles without any problem on R53 with front shocks in full soft and rear shocks in full stiff before I sold them. And the new owner also had no problems with them.