Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Advice On Coilovers

Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 AM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice On Coilovers

I'm currently shopping eBay for coilovers and want an idea of the minimum acceptable versions from the vast array up there.

This is solidly a daily and will never see the track but I do want a sporty suspension.

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm not sure what your budget is, but a really great bang for your buck coil over option would be from ST. ST's are manufactured by KW so the quality is there. I personally have experience with installing their ST X coils on high HP daily drivers and even some track builds. I've personally run the product on a few different makes and models and have been very satisfied. The ride feel and handling is great for the price. You can read more about the specifics of the ST X versions here if interested: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg2.htm#item13. Let me know if you have any questions about them. Also, just a note, any lowering you do to your MINI you'll want to invest in some rear adjustable control arms to help keep your rear alignment within OEM spec.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response.

Budget is low, my 07MCS is a toy car for me and not the main sled.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Follow up questions.

1) Why do I need coiloves in the first instance since I won't be adjusting the height and not tracking?

2) Should I consider traditional lowering springs and shocks?

If so which one?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, since you're on a budget you can also look into a set of lowering springs. I personally like H&R - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item1. Good brand and quality. Your stock shocks/struts may wear out faster so it's not a bad idea to upgrade to ones that are compatible with lowering, if it's within your budget. Check out this NAM thread HERE. I like the Bilstein Sport shocks struts: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item4. There are lots of MINI owners that run the Koni Yellows. Those are also a good upgrade. However, if you look at what the cost of new strut/shocks and springs cost, it may be worth to just go with the ST's. Otherwise, if you're not worried about it then springs would be sufficient for your needs.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-10-2016, 11:07 AM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Thanks for all previous answers.

I came accross ths on eBay "GODSPEED MONO-SS COILOVER DAMPER KIT FOR 07-13 MINI COOPER R56 w/ CAMBER PLATES".

What says yee fellow skinflints? Will they do the job? Not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:25 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D1QuickSilver
Thanks for all previous answers.

I came accross ths on eBay "GODSPEED MONO-SS COILOVER DAMPER KIT FOR 07-13 MINI COOPER R56 w/ CAMBER PLATES".

What says yee fellow skinflints? Will they do the job? Not the cheapest but not the most expensive.
Stay away from ebay coilovers. I urge you to use a name brand with a good reputation and a warranty.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CougarsRFun
Stay away from ebay coilovers. I urge you to use a name brand with a good reputation and a warranty.
Unfortunately economy dictates that I consider all avenues.

I'm hoping to read from someone that might have first hands experience.

Thanks, kind Sir.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:26 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Get raceland coilovers. $400 with 1yr warranty

Old 10-25-2016, 06:37 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bosnik
Get raceland coilovers. $400 with 1yr warranty
Thanks Bosnik, any links?

Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Old 10-25-2016, 06:54 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
I noticed that these do not come with adjustable top plates for the front. I know that I can get those separately. I know that I need rear camber bars but do I need it for the front.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
U will need front camber plates if u daily drive it and don't want ur tires to wear out weirdly.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:43 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
U will need front camber plates if u daily drive it and don't want ur tires to wear out weirdly.
You've been very generous tonight Sir.

Any recommendation for adjustable front camber plates?

Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
First, help us all out by posting the model/year/mileage of your Mini, and explaining what you hope to achieve.

1) Improve the overall ride - less harsh?
2) Improve handling? Possibly at the cost of a stiffer/harsher ride?
3) Or just get low? Which will definitely stiffen up the ride.

You can get better handling, with an improved ride over stock, and lowered, but not on a small budget.

If you're not going to track the car, you don't need camber plates. Do the "free camber mod" (search for it) and add a stiffer rear swaybar, and you'll get rid of a lot of the understeer that is in the factory setup. Lowering springs won't improve your ride, but getting non-runflat tires will.

If the car is at the age/mileage where the original shocks are ready for replacing, then listen to the advice of the many vendors on the forum who have had the chance to try many different brands and models of shocks and know what works well at different cost points.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:32 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
First, help us all out by posting the model/year/mileage of your Mini, and explaining what you hope to achieve.

1) Improve the overall ride - less harsh?
2) Improve handling? Possibly at the cost of a stiffer/harsher ride?
3) Or just get low? Which will definitely stiffen up the ride.

You can get better handling, with an improved ride over stock, and lowered, but not on a small budget.

If you're not going to track the car, you don't need camber plates. Do the "free camber mod" (search for it) and add a stiffer rear swaybar, and you'll get rid of a lot of the understeer that is in the factory setup. Lowering springs won't improve your ride, but getting non-runflat tires will.

If the car is at the age/mileage where the original shocks are ready for replacing, then listen to the advice of the many vendors on the forum who have had the chance to try many different brands and models of shocks and know what works well at different cost points.
1) Looking for performance over comfort. If I can get both them I'm all good.

2) Definitely improving handling is the name of the game. If I loose some comfort, I'm okay.

3) Low, not slammed, is a collateral benefit.

Brand new run flats came with the car and I'll be replacing the wheel/tire with 17" combo.

While all opinions are considered but I prefer those of consumers. It's a personal preference.

Thanks for your time.

PS: My research leads me to 22" bars as optimum for the rear. Yes?

Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
My recommendation:

1) upgrade to a stiffer rear sway bar. Lots of options to choose from, you can install it yourself if you know how to use a socket wrench. Best bang for buck mod you can do.

2) Get an alignment. Pull the plastic alignment pin at the top of each shock and have the alignment tech go for maximum front camber by shifting the shock top mounting bolts as far as possible towards the center of the car. You should be able to get close to -1 degree that way. You should be able to get the rear to at least -1.5 with the stock set up.

3) Since you're getting new tires - you're in Socal and don't have to worry about snow or a lot of rain, go for an Extreme Performance summer tire. I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and love them.

Drive it while you research and save up for some good coilovers. You may be happy enough with just the RSB, more camber, and great tires that you decide you don't need coilovers. Also, by making the changes one at a time you'll have an idea of the effect of each individual change and whether it improved things for you or not.

If coilovers are an itch that you just have to scratch, then save and buy once rather than going cheap and buying twice.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
My recommendation:

1) upgrade to a stiffer rear sway bar. Lots of options to choose from, you can install it yourself if you know how to use a socket wrench. Best bang for buck mod you can do.

2) Get an alignment. Pull the plastic alignment pin at the top of each shock and have the alignment tech go for maximum front camber by shifting the shock top mounting bolts as far as possible towards the center of the car. You should be able to get close to -1 degree that way. You should be able to get the rear to at least -1.5 with the stock set up.

3) Since you're getting new tires - you're in Socal and don't have to worry about snow or a lot of rain, go for an Extreme Performance summer tire. I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and love them.

Drive it while you research and save up for some good coilovers. You may be happy enough with just the RSB, more camber, and great tires that you decide you don't need coilovers. Also, by making the changes one at a time you'll have an idea of the effect of each individual change and whether it improved things for you or not.

If coilovers are an itch that you just have to scratch, then save and buy once rather than going cheap and buying twice.
I thank you for a detailed response.

I think I'll probably cool my heels on the coilover as suggested.

Thanks once again.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 AM
bosnik
2nd Gear
As for camber plates, get whatever is more expensive than Ireland Engineering ones. The IR plates are junk.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My $.02. With such a limited budget = springs and be done with it. Cheap coilovers will just frustrate you.