Suspension Coilover install when car has Electronic damping?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 AM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coilover install when car has Electronic damping?

Looking in to suspension upgrade options currently for which my car has electronic damping option from the factory.

One option is just to get some lowering springs e.g. Eibach, H&R, NM etc.. and continue to use the electronic damping with existing dampers.

One concern is a more limited suspension travel where I've experienced before when I lowered in a previous car (not Mini) the car hitting the bump stops frequently when on uneven roads whilst driving spirited...

I may consider a coilover system (had KW on 2 previous BMW cars) and sacrifice the electronic damping..

I noticed that KW can supply dampers with EDC cancellation kit (look like just a bung up plug!) which can be seen below in the installation instructions (p10 & p12)

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWGFwEA-h686200AH.pdf

I have also read that some on this forum have installed the JCW Pro coilovers without the KW EDC cancellation without problems and no errors come up in dash. I understand they are near the same as KW v1 system but want to check out my options relating to factory warranty.

Please can someone confirm that no errors or problems associated with just disconnecting the electronic plug from the original dampers?

Can I aslo ask what you did to the cable/plug post installation to tidy up the engine bay.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-07-2016, 02:24 AM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contacted KW and they have responded with this regarding fitment of KW coilovers -

You cannot fit a non EDC KW kit on to a vehicle that has EDC because the top of the piston rod is a different diameter. Meaning Mini are using different top mounts between non EDC and EDC.