Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension: Stock vs. FSD vs. B4 ??

Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've put about 90 miles on Jasper since installing new FSDs.

I cannot offer comparisons to Bilsteins or any other struts. Sorry folks.

But I can say it's a world of difference compared to the OE struts with over 150k miles!

No longer have the involuntary butt-clench when going over bumps. And body roll, squat and dive is greatly reduced. He rides like a new car!

Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update I am patiently waiting until the FSDs go on sale this spring haha! I am at 135k and it sounds like we have had some similar ride quality experiences.

The following users liked this post:
00Mini (11-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 AM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just another vote for the FSDs. Our R52S has been wearing them for maybe 40,000 miles or so. They really do a nice job of exactly what they claim to do. They remove a lot of the high rate harshness over bumps and other road irregularities, but have a nice smooth but stiff response to slow body motions. Good stuff.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by haygood
Just another vote for the FSDs. Our R52S has been wearing them for maybe 40,000 miles or so. They really do a nice job of exactly what they claim to do. They remove a lot of the high rate harshness over bumps and other road irregularities, but have a nice smooth but stiff response to slow body motions. Good stuff.
You are all making me more and more excited to get these for myself. I am just waiting for them to go on sale soon! Thanks for the update

Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
You are all making me more and more excited to get these for myself. I am just waiting for them to go on sale soon! Thanks for the update
So you bought the B4's and now you're going to buy the FSD's as well?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
So you bought the B4's and now you're going to buy the FSD's as well?
Haha no not at all. I was about to buy the B4s and then someone told me from one of the parts dealers that the Koni FSDs will be on sale this coming spring so I am patiently waiting until then. What are you running?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Haha no not at all. I was about to buy the B4s and then someone told me from one of the parts dealers that the Koni FSDs will be on sale this coming spring so I am patiently waiting until then. What are you running?
Still stock. Eventually I think I'd either like to lower the car about 1/2" or just go with some FSD's. My ride is extremely "rolly", meaning it pitches a lot in the corners. I think my springs must be bad or something as my dad's R50 w/ 180k miles and original suspension is way tighter than my R53 w/ 80k in the corners.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Still stock. Eventually I think I'd either like to lower the car about 1/2" or just go with some FSD's. My ride is extremely "rolly", meaning it pitches a lot in the corners. I think my springs must be bad or something as my dad's R50 w/ 180k miles and original suspension is way tighter than my R53 w/ 80k in the corners.
Hmmm that is interesting. Well either way you go keep us updated I just look forward to not chipping a tooth when I hit a bump anymore haha

Old 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
This is curious. Does it pitch forward when you hit the brakes really hard?

I would think that the springs are ok if the ride height has not changed (you talk about lowering it, hence, the assumption). And, if there is not some banging, the your sway bar bushings are likely still ok. A broken swaybar endlink could do that also, as the swaybars controls body roll. That is an easy check to make with the car up in the air. That pretty much leaves shot shocks...which would be my guess and where I would start for replacing things.

Note, if you get the FSD you can't (shouldn't) use them with lowering springs. But if you do get them, let us know what you think of them.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:11 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
This is curious. Does it pitch forward when you hit the brakes really hard?

I would think that the springs are ok if the ride height has not changed (you talk about lowering it, hence, the assumption). And, if there is not some banging, the your sway bar bushings are likely still ok. A broken swaybar endlink could do that also, as the swaybars controls body roll. That is an easy check to make with the car up in the air. That pretty much leaves shot shocks...which would be my guess and where I would start for replacing things.

Note, if you get the FSD you can't (shouldn't) use them with lowering springs. But if you do get them, let us know what you think of them.

I think my car may actually be a little lower than stock, just don't have another R53 to compare it to. I think it's a bit lower than our R50. I've had it up in the air a few times recently and haven't noticed any damage to any front suspension components. I wasn't really looking, but I think I'd notice a broken endlink. I will check to see if my shocks are leaking next time I have it on the lift. I know I couldn't lower it with FSD's, just was considering my options. Thanks for the tips!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Keep us updated whatever way you go!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I think my car may actually be a little lower than stock, just don't have another R53 to compare it to. I think it's a bit lower than our R50. I've had it up in the air a few times recently and haven't noticed any damage to any front suspension components. I wasn't really looking, but I think I'd notice a broken endlink. I will check to see if my shocks are leaking next time I have it on the lift. I know I couldn't lower it with FSD's, just was considering my options. Thanks for the tips!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I think march will be the month with the BIG savings on FSDs!!!!

Old 02-26-2016, 03:34 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Koni FSD are on sale now at this vendor:

http://www.motoringwerks.com/p-3674-...sd-shocks.aspx

Maybe the other vendors sales are kicking in as well. They all worked so hard helping everyone out.

I am also struggling to justify paying twice what the B4 (Touring) setup costs for FSD.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIM_GRAHAM
Koni FSD are on sale now at this vendor:

http://www.motoringwerks.com/p-3674-...sd-shocks.aspx

Maybe the other vendors sales are kicking in as well. They all worked so hard helping everyone out.

I am also struggling to justify paying twice what the B4 (Touring) setup costs for FSD.
Oh no thats not on sale. Usually soon in the spring they drop to around 400 for the set of 4 its a killer deal!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Oh no thats not on sale. Usually soon in the spring they drop to around 400 for the set of 4 its a killer deal!
Well that is worth waiting for, I will keep my eyes on this thread for the countdown.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:17 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE

Old 02-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Well that is worth waiting for, I will keep my eyes on this thread for the countdown.

I am patiently waiting myself! Should be here soon I hope ..

Old 02-27-2016, 02:43 PM
rt808
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to look for when buying KONI FSD for the Gen 1 Mini's is that the Perch are not solid tach-weld that wii comes off during shipment and they don't ship the schematic/drawing as references. I had to call Koni Northamerica for it, again still haven't solve the clucking issue whenever I run over small bump because I received the Perch off the Strut, I am not convince Koni FSD is the best route for normal driving...my only opinion!!!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rt808
One thing to look for when buying KONI FSD for the Gen 1 Mini's is that the Perch are not solid tach-weld that wii comes off during shipment and they don't ship the schematic/drawing as references. I had to call Koni Northamerica for it, again still haven't solve the clucking issue whenever I run over small bump because I received the Perch off the Strut, I am not convince Koni FSD is the best route for normal driving...my only opinion!!!
I am pretty sure you have a defect in your case because I haven't heard of this issue from anyone else and it seems that everyone is so hyped on the FSDs they get brought up everytime suspension is even mentioned. Hope it gets sorted out for you

Old 02-28-2016, 02:16 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
While I am waiting for the sale, I am building my shopping list.

Is it common practice to replace the front mounts during replacement of the struts?

I really do not want to take my struts apart more than once!

I have never done this before and want to do replace all of the probable bad bits but not anything unnecessary.

Mounts, bump stops etc... What is likely shot?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
While I am waiting for the sale, I am building my shopping list.

Is it common practice to replace the front mounts during replacement of the struts?

I really do not want to take my struts apart more than once!

I have never done this before and want to do replace all of the probable bad bits but not anything unnecessary.

Mounts, bump stops etc... What is likely shot?

Thanks!
Actually, this is something that I am interested in knowing too...

You say "front mounts"...what part are you referring to? While we have an R50, it has been really good and trouble free. So I have not had dig into its pieces and parts and have no familiarity with it.

JIM_GRAHAM: your signature says that you have a JCW. A suggestion for you (as I presume you, maybe, drive a bit on the spirited side...) - I would add a set of the IE fixed camber plates. Once you drive it with those, you will wonder why MINI doesn't build the car with them...

Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Actually, this is something that I am interested in knowing too...

You say "front mounts"...what part are you referring to? While we have an R50, it has been really good and trouble free. So I have not had dig into its pieces and parts and have no familiarity with it.

JIM_GRAHAM: your signature says that you have a JCW. A suggestion for you (as I presume you, maybe, drive a bit on the spirited side...) - I would add a set of the IE fixed camber plates. Once you drive it with those, you will wonder why MINI doesn't build the car with them...

I was referring to the top of the strut with the three bolts that are part of the "mushrooming" issue.

The IE fixed plates you suggested would be their replacements. It would be about $120 upgrade over Lemforder OEM mounts. Is the driving experience much better?

Old 02-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Oooooh, yes!
The turn-in is so much better defined with those. Plus the are made with a steel plate that will help prevent the mushrooming issue.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the clarification. Our R50 has not suffered with that issue.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 02-28-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Suspension: Stock vs. FSD vs. B4 ??