Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Coilover install... DIY vs Taking it to a shop

Old 11-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Mini_Touge
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover install... DIY vs Taking it to a shop

I called a reputable shop and ask them how much it would cost for them to install my coil overs they told me it would be around $475 without an alignment I asked them if they would do a custom alignment for me and it would be a little over 100 added to that price so basically $600... Seems pretty pricey to me and from what I have heard coil overs really aren't that hard to install I am not a full-blown mechanic but I am what I would call decent with doing stuff like this although I have never installed coilovers before. Just wondering what you guys think I should do you take the time and install it myself or take it to a shop?

Old 11-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Mini_Touge
2nd Gear
Update: I installed them myself, took me 7 hours to get them on and the next day spent another 4 hours dialing them in but with the money saved I bought myself a set of federal 595 rsr's and I love them! Very worth the manual labor of doing it myself!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:09 PM
ti_tony
1st Gear
Nice...What kind did you install? How hard to adjust?

Old 11-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Mini_Touge
2nd Gear
CXRacing coilovers... And I won't lie I had a hard time adjusting them to get the height correct... And to adjust dampening in the rear it's a SUPER PAIN in the ***....

Old 11-30-2015, 08:09 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Congrats on the DIY. Did you take any pictures? Should post up your process here for other owners that may find it useful. Be sure to let the coil overs settle a little before you go to get an alignment.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Mini_Touge
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Congrats on the DIY. Did you take any pictures? Should post up your process here for other owners that may find it useful. Be sure to let the coil overs settle a little before you go to get an alignment.
I started installing them at 9 PM and it was really dark and I am not very good with technical terms sadly and I don't want to get bashed for saying the wrong things or using the wrong terms but when I get a chance I will pull my wheels off the car and take pictures of it, the only issue I have had so far is that the end links that my coil overs came with where the wrong end links I just but ordered adjustable end links when I install those I will try to do a video of how to install them and review my coil overs at the same time.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini_Touge
I started installing them at 9 PM and it was really dark and I am not very good with technical terms sadly and I don't want to get bashed for saying the wrong things or using the wrong terms but when I get a chance I will pull my wheels off the car and take pictures of it, the only issue I have had so far is that the end links that my coil overs came with where the wrong end links I just but ordered adjustable end links when I install those I will try to do a video of how to install them and review my coil overs at the same time.
No worries. Lots of people are on here learning so don't be intimidated to post up things. The endlink would be a great how to video so looking forward to seeing that. If you need anything or any help be sure to let me know.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Mini_Touge
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
No worries. Lots of people are on here learning so don't be intimidated to post up things. The endlink would be a great how to video so looking forward to seeing that. If you need anything or any help be sure to let me know.
Thank you sir, really do appreciate the kind words, motivation and help! I have the end links installed but need to be adjusted so I will make the how to this weekend!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini_Touge
Thank you sir, really do appreciate the kind words, motivation and help! I have the end links installed but need to be adjusted so I will make the how to this weekend!
You're very welcome! Looking forward to the how-to.