Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension My New Koni FSD's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 PM
vlindell
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My New Koni FSD's

I recently DIY installed a set of new Koni FSD shock and struts in my 2009 70K miles justa that I ordered back then with the standard suspension. My Mini was so bone jarring for so long that I was considering buying a new Mini thinking little could be done. These Koni's are a very noticeable positive improvement in smoothing out the road with little to no change in handling characteristics.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good job on the DIY! I have a brand new set of FSDs sitting in the boot of my 04 JCW waiting for my Hotchkiss Sport Sway Bar to arrive so I can have them installed at the same time. Can't wait to feel the difference in ride and handling. I'm hopeing I can find a used set of JCW springs reasonably priced before the sway bar gets here so I can add those o the job.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
You've probably heard this before, but FSD shocks for the MINI aren't designed to
work well or long with lower springs. The JCW are only 1/2 inch lower than stock,
so they're probably not as bad on FSDs as all the other lowering springs on the
market, but it's still recommended by KONI not to use anything lower than stock with them...

Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Mib4840
Good job on the DIY! I have a brand new set of FSDs sitting in the boot of my 04 JCW waiting for my Hotchkiss Sport Sway Bar to arrive so I can have them installed at the same time. Can't wait to feel the difference in ride and handling. I'm hopeing I can find a used set of JCW springs reasonably priced before the sway bar gets here so I can add those o the job.
I wouldn't use FSDs with the JCW springs. Way at Way Motor Works tried that, and after a few months the FSDs started to leak. Koni will not honor the warranty if they are used on lowering springs, even mild ones like JCW. Apparently it matters!

I finished putting a set of FSDs on my '09 R55 w/78,000mi this past weekend. (Did the rears the prior weekend. Have kids, thus have little wrenching time.) What a difference over the sacked-out old ones!

They're quite pleasant; while they soften out the ripples and bumps, they retain good road feel. Better than demo MINIs i've driven at the dealer.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you guys for the info. and here I thought that JCWs that came with JCW springs would make them stock springs. with that info I'm going to stay on my stock springs then.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Cine
1st Gear
Will the FSD's be ok with the "Sport" suspension option on a R56 07 Cooper S? I don't believe it lowered the car from the reg stock suspension, just made it a bit stiffer. I need to replace the original shocks and was thinking of going with FSD's from all the good reviews I've heard on NAM.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:58 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am also in the process of switching out to FSD's and can't wait to feel the difference! I say in the process because along with shocks I am also doing rotors(ADAMS) and break pads (HAWKES)and I can tell you it is taking me a long time!!!! I am of course taking my time and completely cleaning and painting the the break calipers when finished. The things that have held me up are getting the old shocks out and getting the new in(fronts are horrible) I also changed over to the ireland camber plates which have a thicker plate and longer screw bolts and they make it difficult to get the shock angled enough to get the shock into the pinch knuckle......seriously took me almost two hours struggling to get the drivers side in, I really thought I was screwed until I got aggressive with it and really manhandled the thing. I was nervous about the brake lines and steering components. Also every bolt that I read or watched videos about..ie..rotor srews all frozen in and I Pb Blasted them for 2 days while still using an impact hammer to coax them out. I am on my third day of said work and hopefully finishing it all up today fingers crossed nothing else holds me up, and hope to feel a major change. To the last poster I have the sport button and this does not stiffen up the ride in your Mini! I had an Audi TT that did that but there is no wiring to the shocks that will accomplish this, all the s does is give it (I believe) a change to the throttle and more steering response.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:13 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Cine
Will the FSD's be ok with the "Sport" suspension option on a R56 07 Cooper S? I don't believe it lowered the car from the reg stock suspension, just made it a bit stiffer. I need to replace the original shocks and was thinking of going with FSD's from all the good reviews I've heard on NAM.
Should be fine.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Cine
1st Gear
[QUOTE=americo11;4077809 To the last poster I have the sport button and this does not stiffen up the ride in your Mini! I had an Audi TT that did that but there is no wiring to the shocks that will accomplish this, all the s does is give it (I believe) a change to the throttle and more steering response.[/QUOTE]

I have a sport suspension option, at the time (2007) there wasn't a JCW suspension option, so I upped the stock to the "Sport Suspension" option. It doesn't have anything to do with the Sport button, it's just what that option is called.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The sport suspension has larger sway bars and stiffer springs compared to the normal S suspension. It should still work well with the FSD's.

I had the same issues getting the shocks in the knuckle, you feel like you are pushing too hard to get enough clearance. It all worked out fine.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Nice! Got any pictures?
-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 PM
vlindell
1st Gear
My New Koni's and Bushing issues

My 2009 Justa Mini with standard suspension and 70K miles was rough riding from day one. If I would of known I would of installed Koni's FSD's alot earlier. Now if I can just fix the rear sway bar rattle. I put in new bushings and it worked for about 15 K miles but now the rattle is back. I want to keep the stock 16mm rear sway bar. Does anyone have a suggestion for a more permanent fix?

Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my girl with her new FSD's and rotors/brakes. Old and new rotors..after all was finished I took her for an alignment because of the new ireland fixed camber plates I used to replace the oem ones.

Attached Thumbnails My New Koni FSD's-img_2342.jpg   My New Koni FSD's-img_2335.jpg   My New Koni FSD's-img_2340.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 04:48 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Are the end links ok? Only connection points with the rear sway bar are the bushings,
their brackets, and the end links. If not that, maybe it's not the sway bar that's rattling,
unless it's knocking on an exhaust shield or something else loose.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 AM
vlindell
1st Gear
End Links

Thanks I'll check the endlinks to see if that is the cause in addition to the rear sway bar bushings as a couple of reasons for the knocking in the back. I know for sure that the source is not the back hatch. The endlinks have never been changed, mini currently has 70K miles. Would you suggest just the oem endlinks or are there better choices, adjustable links?
Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
I have the Detroit Tuned endlinks which are very well made but a little pricey.
I really don't need them, but I wanted them when my old Webb endlinks got stiff
in their joints.

Adjustable endlinks are helpful if you have coilovers and want get your corner weights
even or if you want to adjust or eliminate preload. They're also nice if you have a
big-*** rear sway bar (22 solid or 25.5 hollow) on one of the stiffer settings, as they're
a bit more robust than the oem ones. The DT ones have nice sealed bearings that don't
get mucked up in salty winters. For bars from 16 - 19 mm, the oem ones should
be just fine.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:11 AM
fixthedoor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To anyone who has Koni FSD's, what are your impressions up to this point?

My justa is in need of shocks and I'm looking for something that at least maintains OE ride quality and handling. Any improvement would be a plus. I don't take my car to the track and don't intend to. Primary use for my justa is a as a commuter along a twisty mountain road, and some FWY miles. As well as for spirited driving on said mountain road. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:31 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by fixthedoor

My justa is in need of shocks and I'm looking for something that at least maintains OE ride quality and handling. Any improvement would be a plus. I don't take my car to the track and don't intend to. Primary use for my justa is a as a commuter along a twisty mountain road, and some FWY miles. As well as for spirited driving on said mountain road. Thanks!
I put Koni FSDs into my Clubman S earlier this year, and I am very happy with them indeed. They perform so much better than my wife's Countryman that has only 20k on it. (And of course better than the worn out ones they replaced, but that's not a fair comparison!)

Go for it. They're well-suited to twisty roads and really help with the bumps and ripples that used to send me skittering sideways.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fixthedoor

Some people say the FSD's give a stiffer ride than OEM and that Bilstein Touring class give you about the same OEM quality and ride stability.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 AM
glucks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the process of installing my FSDs. Read one post that said not to use the white plastic circles included with the dampers for the rears. The minimal instructions in the box say use them but I don't get the sense those are mini specific instructions.
Any one have any input?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
My 08 Non-S has the sport suspension and the FSDs transformed the car incredibly. The car is flatter, and the jarring that we all have experienced is simply gone. With 147000 miles on it, it feels better than new. That is something you cannot say very often. Better than new!