Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension RSB Upgrade & Joint Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSB Upgrade & Joint Options

I'm hopefully about to pull the trigger on an H-Sport 25mm Comp RSB. I'd like to upgrade as necessary/able all at once, but not sure some are really needed. There also seem to be competing views on joints.

Lower control bars: I'm not lowering the car (not yet anyway) so would these be needed yet? If so I'm looking at the H-Sports but if there's no real need just yet then...

End Links: As these connect to the RSB it'd make sense to do them now, but needed? Most seem to have Heim joints (I think), but there seem to be a lot of rattle issues. Would better brands like NM be a concern there? Would ball joints like the ones Way make be better? What happens when the grease on those dries up? If no real difference it's about a $15 difference and from a 'looks' point of view the NM ones do look better. But that's getting to the nit-picky level if the only difference.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been running street and autocross for 5 years with a big RSB (22mm solid) with no problems and all the rest remaining OEM.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. I'll probably put those off 'til later then. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Aftermarket rear control arms are generally used when lowering a car. The aftermarket ones are adjustable length, and help to restore proper wheel alignment (camber goes more negative when lowering). If you are not lowering the car, they are not required.

Some people have had the OEM end links break, but I haven't read about that in a while. I would think that there are better ways to spend your money right now.

Many people have stated that the heim-joints wear out on the street as well. I've been running heim joint control arms and end links for 3 years and they remain tight when I check them, and I haven't noticed any rattles because of them.

Have fun,
Mike