Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Flatout Suspension coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Flatout Suspension coilovers

I was doing a Google search for coilovers for my JCW R53 and I came across a company called FLATOUT Suspension. I recognized them from recent pictures on Instagram.

I wondered if anyone ever dealt with them. I am considering pulling the trigger on the 57i coilovers as I plan to get some track time in once it's warmer.

I gather from reading they are hand build. Seems like good stuff. I know the hand made stuff isn't cheap and I'm perfectly ok paying a premium for quality parts.

Here's the link:

http://www.flatoutsuspension.com/products/c57mini

Last edited by MCS 5; 09-01-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
what's the primary use for?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Why not stick to KW V2s, or the likes? It's great that this guy is making these in the USA, but I see nothing about warranty, and it's not an established company. I'd throw my money at someone with a rep & warranty.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:08 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
what's the primary use for?
Right now the car is driven maybe once every 2 weeks, in warm weather track days and autocross.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Why not stick to KW V2s, or the likes? It's great that this guy is making these in the USA, but I see nothing about warranty, and it's not an established company. I'd throw my money at someone with a rep & warranty.
I contacted them/ him and got a lot of great info. Started tuning suspensions for a Ferrari team, and began making coilovers for fellow racers in 2008. For 2015 he expanded into a more retail setting. I asked about coilovers and he asked me about how I use the car, told me "...I'm valving and building these, so if you want me to do anything special, let me know."

He seems to take a lot of pride in his work, and wants the customer to be involved. He said each one is built when you order. He does not stock because it takes away from the 1 on 1 process.

I said "...there are a lot of options out there that are cheaper and more mainstream, why should I buy yours?" He laughed and said "the question I get about 100 times per day, I should just record my answer...I agree, there are plenty of good and not so good options out there. But if you buy brand x, that kit whether you daily drive, Autocross or rally is the same out of a box. In a real world application, it's hard to bias one thing. Think about OEM suspensions. Mini has to make the car firm enough to please the person that likes to toss a car around AND not break the back of an adult with 2 kids that has a passion for cars but needs to keep the kids comfy. Those 'out of the box suspensions' are similar.

I also asked about warranty; which he realized he overlooked on his site; which he will add. But it's 1 year on EVERY part. He said if 3 years later a shock blows, he's likely to replace it for free because a happy customer is worth more than the cost of parts.

I like him, he knows his stuff. He's definitely got my business.

Oh, he actually said I could do his c57 and be perfectly happy, but I am going to get more serious about racing my car so I wanted the 57i. He did however tell me the suspension is modular, so to save money now, I could do the C57, then upgrade to 57i shocks by either sending them in (he'd swap the shocks and upgrade for free, and service any parts and clean them up...for free!) or I could disassemble myself.

Like I said; he earned my business. THAT is service! I don't think KW or any of those others out there give that same level of attention to each customer.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Oh, warranty is right on his product description...I don't think it was added that quickly, I JUST got off the phone with him..

Flatout Suspension coilovers-image-2344465257.jpg

Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well it sounds like he has sales down. Time will tell you about service. Time will also show us reliability. I hope everything works out! I'll be looking in another year or so.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Well it sounds like he has sales down. Time will tell you about service. Time will also show us reliability. I hope everything works out! I'll be looking in another year or so.
Agree. I justify by thinking everyone starts and builds a reputation from the first sale. I'm not his first Mini suspension he's done; but not everyone joins forums or posts. Hell, I had 3 Miatas and never once got on a forum. I've been here since 2012 and have a low post count. I won't rule someone out because they aren't plastered all over the Internet. In my opinion, BC is garbage, but look on google...people are happy because they bought a functioning Coilover for under $1000.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS 5
Agree. I justify by thinking everyone starts and builds a reputation from the first sale. I'm not his first Mini suspension he's done; but not everyone joins forums or posts. Hell, I had 3 Miatas and never once got on a forum. I've been here since 2012 and have a low post count. I won't rule someone out because they aren't plastered all over the Internet. In my opinion, BC is garbage, but look on google...people are happy because they bought a functioning Coilover for under $1000.
Totally understand, and that's the dilemma. They could be Ohlin quality, and we'd never know without trying. However, I'd like to see some construction and warranty info on his site. The site basically says 'I've played with suspension; my suspension is better than others'. Not quite confidence inspiring or transparent.

Compare that to Bilstein, Ohlin, KW, etc, who have a dedicated engineering and tuning staff building their gear, and also have the pedigree.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
There's a tab 'technical' that has some good information, not sure if you saw that. Has everything you're looking for. At least from what I see...the first day KW, etc launched, no one knew them either.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just enjoyed talking to him, so I have a little more insight rather than just reading a web page. I agree he could focus more by writing a novel about the suspensions, but he's probably tied up doing suspension work lol. I want a focused person, not someone playing online all day :P

Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
I did miss the tech section it would seem. Just looked now.

I totally hear ya on the point that 'everyone starts somewhere', and can appreciate that. I'm not looking for a novel necessarily, no, haha. I think they could very well make great stuff, but I'm not big on being a test pilot for $1700 suspension parts. Also, that one year warranty is pretty skimpy compared to coilovers of comparable cost and implied quality.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Haha I'm going to be the test pilot - or at least the first that'll write a review in the public eye). As far as warranty, I've bought a few sets of coilovers and 1 year seems pretty standard I think.

Last edited by MCS 5; 01-28-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
how are you really going to be able to judge what it does? What are the spring rates, or are you choosing? Will he provide a shock dyno for the dampers, and how it behaves across clicks, so you can look at consistency and how much cross talk there is?

not trying to be argumentative either, but they are questions worth considering. also not sure a good spring/strut setup wouldn't fit your needs. for the price i'd rather go ohlins anyway

Old 01-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
judging by the fact he has a setup for the damper reservoirs to be moved, and others that have larger reservoirs. Makes me think he knows a thing or two about suspension and racing. seems like a good buy and the fact that you talked to him and got great service. Hopefully you get good service and im sure he will see a few more customers =)

Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
how are you really going to be able to judge what it does? What are the spring rates, or are you choosing? Will he provide a shock dyno for the dampers, and how it behaves across clicks, so you can look at consistency and how much cross talk there is? not trying to be argumentative either, but they are questions worth considering. also not sure a good spring/strut setup wouldn't fit your needs. for the price i'd rather go ohlins anyway
How am I going to judge? Butt dyno and track days? He provides a dyno for each shock he makes (he told me that and I forgot to mention it). As far as rates, I'm not sure as I left that to him to decide based on valving and information he has.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
judging by the fact he has a setup for the damper reservoirs to be moved, and others that have larger reservoirs. Makes me think he knows a thing or two about suspension and racing. seems like a good buy and the fact that you talked to him and got great service. Hopefully you get good service and im sure he will see a few more customers =)
He definitely knows his stuff, I'm not doubtful on that at all. If his service is as good as I think it is; he will get a good reputation quickly (online).

Old 01-28-2015, 07:02 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm in for updates. The price is actually quite good if each set is custom built-to-order, and made in USA of USA components, as they advertise. The biggest limiting factor in coil over setups that I've seen is shock life. Even well-respected brands (cough, cough KW) are not insusceptible to leaky shocks after a year or so.

BTW, 'made in USA' is a legal term that has different meanings in different states. In California, if you sell something as 'made in USA', it has to be manufactured in USA using USA components. If you have so much as a screw or washer in your product that's manufactured off-shore it isn't 'made in the USA'.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:23 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Wow, I didn't know that about 'made in USA' legality. I can't see him making nuts and bolts, but the machine work; absolutely. Interesting.

As far price; I think it's online with other stuff; obviously more than BC, Megan, etc; but we know why those cheap.

And I agree about any brand of shock having possible failure over time. I've read plenty about KW. They aren't perfect. I'm sure even ohilns and Penske have had defects. I think it's all in how the repair/ warranty is handled. I also have the mindset of in 2 years a lose a shock; I'll know I drive my car hard and expect it. If it lasts beyond that; great.

I'll post once I get them, get them on my car, road test, etc. I feel his efforts thus far deserve a review in either direction. I'm impartial and I've had various suspensions over the years so I have a lot to compare to.

I'll see if I can maybe score us a discount in exchange for reviews or something. :D

Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
He replied, but I can't get the app to paste the copy of the email, it's cutting it off. Basically he said he'd look at the thread but probably won't post due to respect for other vendors (he doesn't pay to be allowed to sell here), but he invited us to email with questions. Sales@flatoutsuspension.com

He also said he'd give members a discount.

You're welcome lol

Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS 5

I also have the mindset of in 2 years a lose a shock; I'll know I drive my car hard and expect it. If it lasts beyond that; great.
Good point. A shock is, after all, a wear part.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Good point. A shock is, after all, a wear part.
Of course, and I would hope that no one is foolish enough to think otherwise. I would expect much more life from a shock absorber on a normal Street application then I would on a racing application…I will be doing both, so I expect to fall somewhere in between.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
I'm in for updates. The price is actually quite good if each set is custom built-to-order, and made in USA of USA components, as they advertise. The biggest limiting factor in coil over setups that I've seen is shock life. Even well-respected brands (cough, cough KW) are not insusceptible to leaky shocks after a year or so.

BTW, 'made in USA' is a legal term that has different meanings in different states. In California, if you sell something as 'made in USA', it has to be manufactured in USA using USA components. If you have so much as a screw or washer in your product that's manufactured off-shore it isn't 'made in the USA'.
The point isn't so much that other brands are indestructible, but instead have a longer warranty period. Generally speaking, quality coliovers have at minimum a 2+ year warranty. Brands like Megan, D2, BC, FK, etc carry a 1 year warranty. Koni, Bilstein and KW offer a lifetime warranty on manufacturer defects, ST 5 years, Ohlins 2 years, etc. I digress a bit, but you get the drift... I'm operating on a value-to-cost mindset, and for me, warranty period is important in terms of value. Good luck if you pull the trigger; I'd love to hear more about them.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 AM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
That's a good point. Hopefully he sees that.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:34 PM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Logged into his site again after work, lots of changes; especially in product descriptions. Also noticed the application list shrunk quite a bit.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 PM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Here's a picture they posted:

Flatout Suspension coilovers-image-1530210165.jpg

I did a screen shot, sorry if it's cropped...

Quick Reply: Suspension Flatout Suspension coilovers