Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension R53 Wobble/Rocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM
cdietman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Wobble/Rocking

She lives again! I have finally revived my R53 from the nightmare of a failed timing chain tensioner and the chewed-to-pieces guide rails. Since we're at 113k miles, of course it's time for some suspension trouble!

So far, I only notice this on the freeway and sometimes the highway (brand new pavement and old pavement - all asphalt, we don't have much concrete in WA state). I'll try to be more keen to when/how it happens.

In stop and go freeway traffic (10-20 MPH typically... which is daily), I have a side-to-side rocking. It feels just like sitting in a chair and rocking side to side. It's very, very noticeable. At higher speeds, especially freeway speeds, it turns into a vibration. I do feel the vibration in the steering wheel as well. My wheels and tires are one year old, and I just had them rotated and balanced to ensure that wasn't the problem. It is time to do my rear brakes. I sometimes have a grinding when I come to a stop, especially down a hill, but it sounds like it's coming from the front. It could possibly be wheel bearings. I plan to do all four brakes and my wheel bearings as soon as possible.

I know about tramlining, but I'm not sure if that's it.... Before I got the new wheels and tires, my tires were crap and I had a lot of vibration. I still had some vibration after I bought the new tires, but I wasn't sure if the hole-in-a-wall tire shop I got them from had balanced them. Tires are freshly balanced and rotated, so that's not it. I did not get run-flats this time.

Control arms/bushings? CVs? Wheel bearings?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Maybe
1st Gear
I personally would climb under it and check your control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and endlinks, tie rods, and balljoints to start. If any of those are obviously shot then replacing those should tighten things up a bit. If for some reason @ 113k you happen to have the above in pristine condition, check your strut tops for any cracks in the rubber or mushrooming of the mount. After which I would check for any issues/warping in the control arm or the wheel hub itself.
Typically on most cars if it was the CV you would probably have a clicking on cornering and acceleration, and wheel bearings tend to grind/squeal.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
It sounds by your description that something is bent. Drive axles? Tie rods and ball joints OK? How about the front struts and mounts?

If your wheels and tires were just balanced it probably isn't a bent wheel.

Does it vibrate when sitting still idling? Maybe a motor mount going bad?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Mjimport
4th Gear
I concur with this, At 113k I would seriously doubt the control arm bushings don't require replacement. The other bushings would be close behind.

Originally Posted by Maybe
I personally would climb under it and check your control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and endlinks, tie rods, and balljoints to start. If any of those are obviously shot then replacing those should tighten things up a bit. If for some reason @ 113k you happen to have the above in pristine condition, check your strut tops for any cracks in the rubber or mushrooming of the mount. After which I would check for any issues/warping in the control arm or the wheel hub itself.
Typically on most cars if it was the CV you would probably have a clicking on cornering and acceleration, and wheel bearings tend to grind/squeal.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cdietman
Control arms/bushings? CVs? Wheel bearings?
At 113k? Yes, maybe, and maybe. Also have a look at your engine mount just because. And it's time for new shocks and an alignment IMO.

- Andrew

Old 04-08-2015, 01:16 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd look at the tie rod assemblies.