Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension n00b - Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:04 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension n00b - Coilovers

I am looking at modifying my suspension setup to get a bit lower. I am basically a complete n00b when it comes to suspension. I have modified all of my cars in the past, but never had enough money to get around to the suspension.

I have 17x8 et30 Rotiform NUE cast wheels and I am going to wrap them with 205/40r17 tires. I'd like to be able to ride at stock height (or close to it) in the winter.

Right now I have a FJCW with the sport suspension option (which is much stiffer than stock JCW suspension). I don't track the car, it is my daily driver, but I want to keep the go-kart feel.

I have no idea what I actually NEED to get along with the coilovers. Do I need adjustable control arms? Do I need Adjustable Sway Bar End Links? Bushings? Strut tower defenders? camber plates?

My preference is to find a used set of the KW Variant 1 Coilovers, but I'd be open to a used set of Megan Racing or H&R coilovers. Maybe even the Megan Racing EZ Street or ST coilovers new or used. Will all of these fit my 2012 JCW no problem? I think the EZ Streets might have an issue and the ST will require new end links.

TIA!

Last edited by igzekyativ; 11-20-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't NEED any of those you listed for coilovers.
However, I do recommend that you get adjustable rear control arms and camber plates to adjust front and rear camber. The rear camber will go out of whack when you lower too much without adjustable rear control arms. Front camber plates will give you that extra bite when turning in (with correct camber settings, obviously). Or you can adjust the camber to get that flush look.
End links are not needed unless you plan on doing corner balancing. Stock ones will do just fine for your needs.
Stock bushings are fine, unless they are shot, then you need to replace them.
Strut tower defenders are not needed.

Anything that fits an R56 will fit in your car.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
so if I was looking at these, I should just find some camber plates and adjustable rear control arms and I'd be all set?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Those Megan coilovers already come with camber plates. All you need would be rear control arms.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 AM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you also do NEED front adjustable sway bar end links. when you lower it the lower ball joint WILL hit the lower control arm. i only lowered my car about an inch and the endlink was resting on my lower control arm. Unless the coilover kit comes with shorter endlinks, you will need adjustable ones.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:05 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I did not need new swaybar end links for the front or rear. I do have them though.

Usually the front endlinks need to be longer to eliminate preload on the swaybar while the rears need to be shorter.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
^+1

When I slammed my roadster (maxed out on V1s), I did NOT need new endlinks.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:28 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm no expert, but you may want to confirm if you need any wheel spacers for your wheels. Some combinations of offset and width get into problems. Depending on the thickness of wheel spacers, you may need longer bolts (or a stud kit). Also, some guys run 215/45R17 tires.

If you have stock wheels to start with, then this should not hold you up.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 AM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
I'm about to snag those Megan Racing coilovers I linked above. He said he ran them without adjustable rear control arms and without front adjustable sway bar end links...

Do you all think $550 a good price for these w/ ~14k on them? They are $999 new on outmotoring.com, sounds like a good deal to me, but like I said, I'm a suspension newbie..

Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 AM
velvetcows
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by igzekyativ
I'm about to snag those Megan Racing coilovers I linked above. He said he ran them without adjustable rear control arms and without front adjustable sway bar end links...

What did you end up going with? How do they compare to the stock sport setup when it was new?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Did consider Ohlins Road & Track coilovers?

Last edited by Systemlord; 05-10-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Instead of confusing yourself on the forums, I would just call Chad at Detroit Tuned.

www.detroittuned.com

In one call, they will address every question you have and make a recommendation. You will run circles around your car trying to get advice from others on forums.

The best piece of advice I can give from my experience on the road and track is that you get what you pay for. Plan on spending at least $1500 for coilovers. If you're going to drive it daily, you need stainless steel damper bodies. IMO, KW V1s are the way to go. You can drop the car, the ride is controlled, sporty, and comfortable.

What you absolutely need?
-If you want factory spec rear camber back to where it was set at the factory, you need rear lower adjustable control arms.
-You need new front end-links if you drop the car modestly as the stock links will bang into the front control arms if the ride height is set too low.

What you may need?
-Depending on your wheel offset, you might need wheel spacers and longer wheel bolts. This is to stop the inside of the tire from rubbing on the coilover spring.

What you don't need.
-Rear swaybar end links. You only need to have these if you plan on corner balancing the car. If you aren't a track addict, forget corner balancing.

Last edited by countryboyshane; 05-11-2015 at 05:31 PM.