Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Do you have ST or KW coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 AM
2ndof2
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have ST or KW coilovers?

I tried asking this question in the suspension section but I guess people only go there when they are looking for info on suspension.

Having a creaking noise on my ST coilovers (same set up as KWs V1 or V2s as they use the same front springs that mate with the OEM spring top caps). I have a 2006 R53 MCS.

Noise is caused by the inner part of the second spring coils up front (from top) rubbing the spring caps. Wear is evident and KW doesn't want to admit their spring coils taper in too quickly as they wind down toward the much narrower lower spring seats. No problem with the rears.

I'm looking for ANYONE who has STs or KW V1 or V2s and is experiencing the same creaking noises. This is almost certainly a design flaw in the spring. Bilstein's spring design maintains a wide coils and then tapers very quickly at bottom coils to meet the lower spring seats in front thus avoiding the rubbing of front inner coils at the top.

Hopefully this thread gets more visibility as my earlier attempts at getting feedback were unsuccessful and only attracted vendors trying to sell me their coilovers in replacement of my STs or people trying to offer suggestions without having the exact issue I'm talking about.

I'll add that a friend had the same set up as me on exact same model 2006 R53 MCS so I know it's not just me. I am told by KW that a lot of people have the STs and KW V1s and V2s.....where are you guys???

Thanks

Last edited by 2ndof2; 09-02-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 PM
thirdlobe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw your PM tonight and I have to say I have not heard any kind of noise from the front of my car. Then again I am using SPC camber plates.

I have only been on my coils for about a week as I have had to do a lot of suspension work to make my wheel and tire combo work.

I will keep an ear out and let you know if I find anything weird. I have to say though I am very happy with the STs on how they ride and how low they drop with the ride quality.

Phil

Old 09-05-2014, 11:26 PM
2ndof2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thirdlobe
Saw your PM tonight and I have to say I have not heard any kind of noise from the front of my car. Then again I am using SPC camber plates.

I have only been on my coils for about a week as I have had to do a lot of suspension work to make my wheel and tire combo work.

I will keep an ear out and let you know if I find anything weird. I have to say though I am very happy with the STs on how they ride and how low they drop with the ride quality.

Phil
Phil,
I totally agree on how these STs ride, but can't get past the fact that there is a creaking noise. It's particularly pronounced when going slow and first rolling off after being parked a while or going over uneven pavement or speed bumps that give the suspension a workout. You mention having SPC camber plates. Are you using stock (OEM) upper spring caps as well or some that are integrated into the camber plates? If not using OEM spring caps you may not have the same fitment issue I'm having.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
thirdlobe
2nd Gear
I am pretty sure I am using the factory spring caps. Still no sound on my end though.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 AM
enomix
1st Gear
This thread worrys me about my upcoming purchase of ST Coils . i have not seen any other threads similar to this one on here or any other forums. What has KW said to you about this ? Since they are under warranty why dont they ship you out a new set to see if its possible only yours is faulty ?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 PM
2ndof2
2nd Gear
Enomix,

Bro- I would seriously reconsider EVER buying from KW.

Go do some searches for ST and VW for example on Google. You'll find lots of negative feedback. Not many here with MCS R53s have used these STs but all you need to know is that KW only cares about the bottom line. Selling their products and not having to give away their profits.

The spring coils in front are not designed properly. They are too narrow up top and the inner part of coils rubs the inner top cap area of the car's front OE spring top caps. Poor R&D and I bet they just had too many of the springs produced and $$$ invested to just throw them away. So instead they sold the kits with the faulty designed springs. PM me your personal email and I'll send you pictures if you want. The problem is very real and they won't admit it. And trust me, I spend many hours writing emails and speaking to people there. A bunch of unethical ****ING LIARS. And for whatever its worth, its not slander if its true. It is true.

By the way, the springs are exactly the same on V1s and V2s so don't think that going with the more expensive product by KW you will avoid the problem. Moving on...

The second problem that is evident with this product across all applications of the STs is the "other" creaking noises. This one is more difficult to pinpoint because its evidently an INTERNAL issue with these coilovers. They always make noise first thing when I drive the car for the first few minutes. Only exception is when the car has only sat for a VERY short amount of time. I suspect its simply the materials used for the seals, but whatever it is, it rears its ugly head all of the time. Others on the VW forums have returned theirs only to find that the replacements have the exact same issue. KW doesn't pay for one penny of your R&R so if you were wondering why I haven't returned mine, I think you now have your answer.

Go read up on the VW forums and find the facts for yourself. I won't lead you just so you know what I'm saying is 100% legit. If I were you, I would deny delivery and seek 100% refund of your money. YOU WILL REGRET NOT HEEDING MY ADVICE - I PROMISE YOU. The only reason anyone should consider this product is if they don't care about the noises and are just using these things to rip around on the street on weekends. I suppose they may be worth buying used for about $400.

And don't bother f-ing around with guys like Way at Way Motorworks who would love to sell you his tweaked KWs. Its not worth it. Go for some solid reputable manufacturer. Sometimes you actually do get what you pay for when you spend more money. I have Bilsteins on my Porsche 993 and could not be happier. I was going to get some for my mini but someone I know had these STs he pulled off his wife's car that he was selling. I think he scammed me so not much of a friend.

I found out that linear KW springs fit the front on these STs so I was able to solve the rubbing of the springs but also had the cost of having custom top caps manufactured. It was then that I discovered these things were still making tons of noise. I have had the car at my independent mini shop about 3 times and the mini dealer twice. Both shops had the car for days at a time and could not find the cause of the noise. I had everything checked in the suspension, new aftermarket control arm bushings and front sway bar bushings. Everything is in tip top shape plus I have an extended warranty so if something required replacement I had it done with no fear of expense.

Just walk away is my advice. Nuff' said. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of years on my ST coilovers and no noises to report, daily driven year round as well as some longer road trips. Total on them is about 30,000KM.

FWIW I'm very particular/paranoid about my car. I had to plead with a tech to bust out the stethoscope because I was SURE my belt tensioner pulley was starting to go, as I could occasionally hear a very faint whirring noise. I stuffed a hand towel between the side of the rear passenger seat and the plastic wall of the car because the occasional squeak when it was jostled irritated me.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM
2ndof2
2nd Gear
I don't care what Danny's experience has been. I can only attest to what I have experienced. Even the guys on the VW forum complained about lies by KW personnel. Statements like "that's the first I've ever heard of this issue" when two or more had called the same person there about the same issue and posted their results of the conversation. It became clear KW was lying about what they knew or what the feedback had been from customers. There are absolutely no worn or broken parts in my suspension based on detailed inspections and replacement of parts on my car. The progressive rate springs absolutely are incorrectly designed and rub on the top caps making noise. The linear KW springs used as a replacement with a custom designed top cap purchased from Ireland engineering and modified at my local machine shop eliminated the spring rubbing noises, but the internal noises from these shocks persist. Maybe Danny has some older set up with different internals but this complaint by other owners besides Danny is irrefutable. Why gamble and buy ST when there are better products out there with no known issues? Nowadays with companies trying to make money however possible I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Danny isn't who he says he is. I haven't searched for his other posts on here to validate if his profile was just a fake one created by a KW or ST distributor, but in my experience with lies and dishonesty out there that is so pervasive across our society, I rarely take things at face value anymore (note my earlier example of a "friend" selling these STs to me but he knew nothing of the issues when on his car). I would do my due diligence before buying in the future. Just too bad when I googled ST reviews before buying, nothing seemed to come up. Only learned later about others experiences with variations in my search. Spend the time before buying these or any shocks. It's worth it in the end, and if Danny is real and his STs work fine and quietly, then imguess he is one of the lucky ones, because it most certainly is not the same for me.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

____

That's some pretty deep cover if I'm just a shill for KW.

I agree that everyone should do their homework before buying any part. I obsessively read tire reviews until my eyes bleed before I choose anything. combed the forums for information on ST/KW before I purchased, and found reviews to be generally positive. I just wanted to weigh i on this thread with my experience with these coilovers. With my limited sample of one, they have been great. If others have had a terrible time with them, I hope they'll come post in this thread.

I can't speak to KW service. I bought my setup from The Suspension Source, and it was a quick and easy transaction. I did buy a replacement spanner wrench after losing mine directly from KW... the guy on the phone was nice. He suggested I call one of their Canadian retailers, but I somewhat rudely talked over him insisting I didn't care about the wait time on the part. I should have listened as shipping was about 2x the cost of the part. I did get it very quickly though.

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Nowadays with companies trying to make money however possible I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Danny isn't who he says he is. I haven't searched for his other posts on here to validate if his profile was just a fake one created by a KW or ST distributor, but in my experience with lies and dishonesty out there that is so pervasive across our society, I rarely take things at face value anymore (note my earlier example of a "friend" selling these STs to me but he knew nothing of the issues when on his car). I would do my due diligence before buying in the future. Just too bad when I googled ST reviews before buying, nothing seemed to come up. Only learned later about others experiences with variations in my search. Spend the time before buying these or any shocks. It's worth it in the end, and if Danny is real and his STs work fine and quietly, then imguess he is one of the lucky ones, because it most certainly is not the same for me.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Cactusflier
2nd Gear
I put KW V1's on my car back in 2010. No complaints from me except for one dust boot dried up and split. Had a creaking noise from the front left that was driving me nuts for the last few months that I thought might be coilover or strut bearing but finally decided was the transmission mount. I replaced tranny mount and noise is gone. Noises are hard to pinpoint. But back to the coilovers, I'm happy with mine.