Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM
nivlek
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension upgrade

Hey all, long story short I have owned a r56s, sport suspension, alta sway bars. Fun car on the track, less understeer but still abit floaty. Moved on to b8 s4 w/ a bunch of suspension upgrades, completely different experience, different kinds of fun. Now wife is getting a 10 r56 mayfair, 40k miles. So I am looking into some suspension upgrades. Car will only see the streets, no track.

Is koni yellows + h&r kit ideal for everyday use, including seeing salts/winters? Will this setup dial out understeer? or it still needs a rear sway bar to do the job?

Are the front and back cambers adjustable? Will I need camber hardware for alignments?

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:11 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
koni yellows kind of much for daily use, i'd go bilsteins. you'd need a rear sway bar regardless to dial out understeer, but i don't know you'd want that for your wife's car?

camber is only rear adjustable. don't need hardware for alignments unless you're trying to get a big #

Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm happy with my setup, Koni Yellows and TSW springs. I've got the shocks on the softer side, and the ride is better than with the factory setup. I have no issues driving in the winter, I have a nice set of snow tires.

Do you really want to lower the car? You could use the factory springs along with a shock upgrade, and you will significantly improve the ride and reduce the harshness of the car.

If you do lower it, get some different snubbers. The front will be basically riding on the factory bump stops. I'm running the urethane ones from Way, but Fatcat motorsports is another option. When I first installed the TSW's (advertised at 3/4" drop) with stock shocks, I was bottoming on almost any bump in the road, and it was very uncomfortable. It is also likely that I was bottoming the stock shocks occasionally, especially with passengers.

If you are not lowering it, some people like the Koni FSD's.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM
nivlek
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
koni yellows kind of much for daily use, i'd go bilsteins. you'd need a rear sway bar regardless to dial out understeer, but i don't know you'd want that for your wife's car?

camber is only rear adjustable. don't need hardware for alignments unless you're trying to get a big #
I am also thinking the bilsteins b12 pro kit or b8+some springs, will that be more suitable for daily driving?

I doubt she will notice understeer, just that I will take the car out sometime to enjoy the ride lol