Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Parts Help. (searched and searched)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM
trabbledot
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts Help. (searched and searched)

I've picked up bits of info here and there. But, hopefully just asking will help answer my question.

- The deal -

I purchased a set of ST X Coilovers and an H&R 19mm rear sway bar today from ECS - (which have been super helpful) and I'm debating on other bits that I might need. I've seen rear lower control arms, spacers and all the such. But there always seems to be back and forth about the whole thing. I'm going to have stock wheels and I'm also barely going to lower the coilvers.

Will I need all the rest? or can I get away with these two peices. I would like to maximize what I've purchased. But I'm a bit of a tight budget.

Thanks for helping the noob.

Trab

- edit -

If anyone who reads this and is in OC, Ca. that knows of a reliable shop. send them my way!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With Stock wheels and tire size you may still need spacers in the front but if you run the springs up as high as they will go, you will probably not though. Still not a bad idea to get some spacers and some longer bolts or studs for the front and I would get a pair of rear control arms to dial out the excessive negative camber you will get when you lower the car. Mini did make a change to the rear suspension sometime after 2004, I think, that added some small amount of camber adjustment, which may be enough with minimal lowering.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM
trabbledot
Neutral
Thanks so much for the reply. I ended up buying the rear lower control arms from a recommendation from a post on here ( and a little research).

I'd like to keep the size of the spaces as small as possible to reduce wear.

any recommendation for that and the bolts?

thanks again!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix Motorsports makes a nice stud conversion kit that includes all 16 studs, in a 2.25 inch length and new open end lug nuts. They should work for spacers up to 13 mm. There are some 50 mm (total length) studs out there, that can be found on Ebay that will work for spacers up to 7 mm. H&R makes a nice 5 mm spacer and may have a spacer and stud kit but there are some 3 mm spacers out there and maybe even some 2's. Unless you plan to get some taller than stock or wider than stock (like 225's) tires, you will probably be fine with a 3 mm spacer.

So, the minimalist approach is to get 8, 50 mm studs for the front and two 3 mm spacers.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 AM
RaceMiniR53
Neutral
I have Bilstein coilovers. You are wise not to lower your car too much as replacing axles is no fun. I would highly recommend a set of camber plates with your coilovers. Without them, my car was only able to be aligned to approximately 1.0º of negative camber. There was noticeable understeer and the car felt disappointingly unstable under heavy trail braking. I purchased a set of fixed camber plates on eBay for $120 and installed them in my driveway myself in a couple of hours. I had my fronts realigned to 1.9º*of negative camber and neutral toe and now the car is 10x more stable under trail braking and cornering speeds have improved drastically. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on the sway bar as I have been considering the same one for a while.