Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Which coilovers to put on GP2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Which coilovers to put on GP2?

I am upgrading coilovers on my GP2. I need more height adjustment and want some dampening adjustability as well. I daily drive it during the summer so ride comfort is important. I don't want tapered springs. Which ones would you get if budget was not a factor? Here is what I am considering so far.

ST XTA coilovers
KW V2 from Way with Vorshlag Camber plates
KW Clubsports with Vorshlag Camber plates
TC Kline DA coilovers with TC Kline Camber plates

I wish I could get the Ohlins but they will not be available for some time in the states.

My stock Bilstein coilovers will be for sale after I have the new ones installed. The stock wheels/tires/tpms will also be for sale once I receive my CCW's.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
personally, i am going to wait for the ohlins to come in. i am one of the first on the waiting list.

also if i were you i would look into the bilstein pss10 coilovers. everyone that has them seem to like them a lot

Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contact PSI in Sonoma California… I'm putting on a set of Ohlins, w/ Vorschlag plates, monday morning.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Did they have them in stock or have to order them?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I'm selling my KW from GP2's.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Mario, I talked to you last week about them. I'm still considering them but really want the Ohlins. I'm also seriously considering the ST XTA.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Hopefully PSI can get them for me, and even swap over to hyperco springs. I hate to take ra2fanatics setup but that seems to be the best way to go.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 PM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I talked to Tracy at psi, they are on back order till october

Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
That's what I was told my Harold at HP Autowerks too. How did PSI get a hold of a set then? Any chance I can convince you to let me have them

Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Spring rates are going to be a large contributor to ride quality as is quality shock valving.

I would bet the STs would suit you just fine. We've got the TC Kline DAs and they're fine but the car isn't really a daily and with the spring rates we run it's pretty punishing on the street. When we were still using the car as a daily and running 350f/350r for spring rates it was OK. Definitely not "plush" though.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Columbia Firestone
Neutral
if you need assistance please let me know.

Originally Posted by krawzdogg
I am upgrading coilovers on my GP2. I need more height adjustment and want some dampening adjustability as well. I daily drive it during the summer so ride comfort is important. I don't want tapered springs. Which ones would you get if budget was not a factor? Here is what I am considering so far.

ST XTA coilovers
KW V2 from Way with Vorshlag Camber plates
KW Clubsports with Vorshlag Camber plates
TC Kline DA coilovers with TC Kline Camber plates

I wish I could get the Ohlins but they will not be available for some time in the states.

My stock Bilstein coilovers will be for sale after I have the new ones installed. The stock wheels/tires/tpms will also be for sale once I receive my CCW's.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it wasn't for the fact you live in buffalo, I would, without question, tell you to get the ST XTA coilovers. I'm making the assumption you drive the car in snow a lot and the roads are salted. If either is not correct, get the XTA's.

The Clubsports come with 457 lb springs and will be much more $$ and either have no warranty (I think) or very short.

If what I read is correct, the TC Kline will require much more maintenance.

That leaves the very good TSW V2's from Way. From what I've read on here they come with 342 lb linear springs front and rear.

I'm on my second set of KW's now and have the 3rd (TSW V3's) in the garage waiting to be put on. Also I have a customized set of KW's (very much like Ways TSW V3's) on my Subaru and have been very happy with all of them.. On the Mini, set one was Galvanized V1's that came with linear springs and set two, on the Mini, is KW's Competition Two Ways, that now need rebuilding after 55k+ miles.

I believe but not sure, the XTA's come with 285 lb front springs and 228 lb rear springs, like my V1"s did. Not sure on the warranty but think its in the 3 to 5 year range.

Of course with a, "budget is no object", approach, You could just get the Clubsports and be prepared to buy other sets of softer springs and play with them until you find the rate and length combination you like best. I'd focus on the 336 lb (6kg) Swifts up to 400 lb Eibach's and KW's. Hyperco has a very nice 7 inch 350 lb 60 mm id spring.

Of course the Vorshlag camber plates are excellent. I have them on my Subaru. The XTA camber plates appear to have the bearing area sealed from below, so that should add to their long term durability.

Reread OP. You did say summer use so, back to the XTA's unless you have some interest in autocross or track potential, then I'd go Clubsports > TSW V2's > XTA's. Of course you are leaving out KW's Competition 3 ways > KW Competition 2 Ways > KW Clubsports > TSW V3's > TSW V2's.

KW's Competition line offers complete customization of spring rates and lengths, within KW's line of springs, and the dampening is built to your selected spring rates.

Last edited by gowest; 08-02-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Thanks for that awesome reply . I've talked to quite a few sources and they all confirm that the Clubsports are very firm, so I have ruled them out. I could swap the springs to something softer like you recommended with the budget is no object, but I could also put that money towards other mods.

I have also ruled out the TC Kline since I have heard about the maintenance and rebuilds on them.

I am left with the ST XTA or KW TSW V2/V3. I never drive the car in the snow/salt so the coating and durability is not an issue with the XTA's. I am told the XTA's have a 230lb rear spring and progressive front. I am assuming they measure out to the 285lb like your KW V1's.

Is the price difference worth it? $1300 for the XTA's or $2440 for the KW TSW V2 with Vorshlag Camber plates. For $1140 I am getting slightly stiffer springs, linear springs in front, the shock body coating and Vorshlag camber plates (which are supposed to be the best), but like you said I think the KW camber plate bearing is below and sealed which should help their durability.

Everyone opinion would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Columbia Firestone
Neutral
i can get you some kw v2 for less then $2,000.

Thanks for that awesome reply . I've talked to quite a few sources and they all confirm that the Clubsports are very firm, so I have ruled them out. I could swap the springs to something softer like you recommended with the budget is no object, but I could also put that money towards other mods.

I have also ruled out the TC Kline since I have heard about the maintenance and rebuilds on them.

I am left with the ST XTA or KW TSW V2/V3. I never drive the car in the snow/salt so the coating and durability is not an issue with the XTA's. I am told the XTA's have a 230lb rear spring and progressive front. I am assuming they measure out to the 285lb like your KW V1's.

Is the price difference worth it? $1300 for the XTA's or $2440 for the KW TSW V2 with Vorshlag Camber plates. For $1140 I am getting slightly stiffer springs, linear springs in front, the shock body coating and Vorshlag camber plates (which are supposed to be the best), but like you said I think the KW camber plate bearing is below and sealed which should help their durability.

Everyone opinion would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Columbia Firestone
i can get you some kw v2 for less then $2,000.
I appreciate the offer, but the only KW V2's I would purchase are from WAY. His have the stiffer linear TSW springs. The stock KW V2's have softer springs and a tapered progressive spring in front.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
gowest
4th Gear
I am told the XTA's have a 230lb rear spring and progressive front. :
Just got off the phone with ECS Tuning and they confirmed what I thought. The XTA's have linear springs front and rear, though they couldn't say what the rates are. They also come with front and rear helper springs, just like Ways TSW's.

In the pics I've seen it looks like the ST XT's and ST XTA's have linear front springs but the ST X's have a straight progressive spring.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gowest
Just got off the phone with ECS Tuning and they confirmed what I thought. The XTA's have linear springs front and rear, though they couldn't say what the rates are. They also come with front and rear helper springs, just like Ways TSW's.

In the pics I've seen it looks like the ST XT's and ST XTA's have linear front springs but the ST X's have a straight progressive spring.

Thats good news that the front springs on the XTA's are linear. I was told by ECS Tuning that their pictures on their website are actual pictures of the XTA's and they definitely do not have helper springs in the pictures. The Gen 1 XTA's for the R53's look like they come with helper springs in the front.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 AM
gowest
4th Gear
The Gen 1 XTA's for the R53's look like they come with helper springs in the front.
You are correct, the pics I looked at were for a R53 and the Gen 2's don't have helpers. Looks like they have 50/200 mm mains, in front. Don't know if Gen 2's have the same fitment issues as the R53 but if people are having spring perch to tire clearance issues I'd be inclined not to get a 200 mm spring.

I think all the TSW's have 170 mm springs, in front with helpers front and rear. If there is still any kind of fitment issue, in front, then the helper can be removed or replaced with a shorter stack helper, which is one of the things I have done.
KW says their helper has a 25 mm block ht but I think that includes the spring connector. Swift's 60/60/15 has a block ht of 19 mm with their connector. I personally measured a difference of 5.4 mm between the two and yes 5 mm can make a difference.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
I am not to worried about the spring perch to tire clearance issue. Ill be running an 18x8 et 32. Thats 5mm more clearance than stock wheels and bilstein coilovers.

HVT Auto seems to have a nice setup as well. They won't build them unless they have at least 3 to build. He has 2 including me right now. If he can find another I might go that direction.

But as of right now I am leaning towards the XTA's.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I am not to worried about the spring perch to tire clearance issue. Ill be running an 18x8 et 32. Thats 5mm more clearance than stock wheels and bilstein coilovers.

HVT Auto seems to have a nice setup as well. They won't build them unless they have at least 3 to build. He has 2 including me right now. If he can find another I might go that direction.

But as of right now I am leaning towards the XTA's.
Its not fitting "next to" the spring perch that's the problem. The wheel/tire has to fit "under" the lower spring perch which necessitates a short spring up front.

For a DD the XTA would be a solid choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM
mini_aaron
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just found this thread right after asking price quotation for Ohlins R&T with swift spring setup to couple of venders. (psi and hpauto)
Too bad they are not available here in North America for now.

GL with your journey,, I am in the same boat...
I also took KW clubsport out after hearing Clubsport is tooooo harsh for mini on street use.
I prefer something gives good road holding rather than punch me from the bottom.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
mini_aaron
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
and Have you ever considered FatCatMotorsport Elite tailored coilover?
mainly for Miatas, but also making ones for Front Wheel Drive cars as well.

Look at this consultation form.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM...nsult_form.htm

Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_aaron
and Have you ever considered FatCatMotorsport Elite tailored coilover?
mainly for Miatas, but also making ones for Front Wheel Drive cars as well.

Look at this consultation form.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM...nsult_form.htm

I've never heard of them before.

Does anyone think springs rates of 285/230 will be too soft? Especially compared to the stock Bilsteins, which I think are too soft.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I just installed Ohlins R&T, ordered them late June and apparently got the last set available in the US at the time. Got a great price from Adam at Race Consulting Agency / coilover-store.com. Then they sat in my garage for a few weeks while I was traveling.

Vorshlag camber plates up front, in back I ordered new hats and Powerflex bushings so I didn't have to deal with spring compressors and taking the OEM shocks/springs apart to swap parts. Only a few test drives so far so I'm still playing with adjusting the compression/rebound damping, and I need to get it aligned, but so far I am really pleased.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 AM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
I just installed Ohlins R&T, ordered them late June and apparently got the last set available in the US at the time. Got a great price from Adam at Race Consulting Agency / coilover-store.com. Then they sat in my garage for a few weeks while I was traveling.

Vorshlag camber plates up front, in back I ordered new hats and Powerflex bushings so I didn't have to deal with spring compressors and taking the OEM shocks/springs apart to swap parts. Only a few test drives so far so I'm still playing with adjusting the compression/rebound damping, and I need to get it aligned, but so far I am really pleased.

Your lucky you got your hands on the Ohlins R&T. I wish I could get them, even though I would have to swap out springs to get the ride height I want.

If you are looking for a FMIC still (based on your signature), just get the Wagner. If you have any questions about it you can ask ra2fanatic or me.

Quick Reply: Suspension Which coilovers to put on GP2?