Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Mini suspension noob question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini suspension noob question

I Don't have hours on end to scour this entire forum for answers. I have searched some but just came up with nothing really more than when I started. My question is I want to give my 2011 S a little better of a stance. It's a DD not tracker. So I want good comfy ride. I'm not looking to slam just reduce wheel gap and look better. I also don't want to break the bank but what are my options?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nm springs and Koni yellows.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
I've got some slightly used (3000 miles) NM Springs for $175 shipped if you are interested.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Why are you selling?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
Just purchased and installed a set of Koni FSD shocks and the seller only wanted to sell as a set but I don't need the springs.
Originally Posted by Tonyruggles
Why are you selling?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Ah gotcha!! Haha I was just reading your thread about that also!! I will have to do some thinking on that. More partial to buying new even if it's a little more $$$.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
NM springs are great for daily drivers. They're great for canyon carving as well. I've had mine with bilstein HD shocks for 44k miles now (installed when the car was new), really nice all around.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Why did you choose the HD shocks? They are mainly for heavy hauling and occasional off road.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Back when I got them the bilstein sport shocks weren't available for the mini yet. I've read that for the mini the HD and sport have the same valving, the sport is just shorter to be used with lowering springs. Since the NM don't lower the car that much, the HD have worked great.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just took off Koni FSD's that would not take the stress of the OEM Sport Suspension Springs and gave up with the OEM entirely and went with Bilstein B8's and Swift Spec-R lowering springs.

Firm ride and handles very well. Nowhere near as smooth as the FSD's but it did remove the wheel gap. It dropped it about an inch overall from the Sport Suspension. Now it is lower than our Cooper by 9/16" when before it was 3/8" higher.

The B8's work with lowering springs and the B6's are for stock height springs and they both have exactly the same valving so their ride characteristics would be the same. The springs make the ride height and harsh or not feeling. The Swift Spec-R's feel firm but not harsh.

You cannot put lowering springs on the FSD's but maybe the Koni Yellow's???

I put photos of it in this Thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...and-specs.html

Last edited by SMOG; 06-23-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
What's the opinion on these?

http://www.etektuning.com/h-r-tourin...56/?fullSite=1

Seems like the most reasonable as far as price. Why the hell are lowering shocks so damn expensive for this car?

Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While we're on the topic, any idea why the stock suspension makes the car look "jacked up" in the back? Do NM springs correct this?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pepperstripes
While we're on the topic, any idea why the stock suspension makes the car look "jacked up" in the back? Do NM springs correct this?
Maybe because the springs are softer and the weight of the engine/trans compress the front ones.

I had my OEM springs sitting even/flat when I had a large load in the boot.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SMOG
Maybe because the springs are softer and the weight of the engine/trans compress the front ones.

I had my OEM springs sitting even/flat when I had a large load in the boot.
Makes sense. I wonder how aftermarket springs would address the difference between a loaded and unloaded back seat and boot.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
I think it would depend on the springs. The Swift Spec-R's did not budge when I put a full sized wheel and 215 tire in the back/seat down position. They do compress though with 2 people and luggage in the car and with that tire I have to be careful over which driveway aprons I travel.

Last edited by SMOG; 06-23-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
BavAuto and TireRack are selling a Koni Sport and H&R springs kit that lowers the car 1.5" and it's a good deal if you ask me. I'm going that route Monday morning.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pepperstripes
The NM springs lower 1.2in front and rear, so the car still has the raked appearance even after you install them.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
BavAuto and TireRack are selling a Koni Sport and H&R springs kit that lowers the car 1.5" and it's a good deal if you ask me. I'm going that route Monday morning.
I didn't find a koni sport and h&r spring kit. I saw the H&r cup kits like in posted earlier. Is that what you were talking about? I was think of doing the touring kit. The sport kit takes it down 2" and the touring is 1.5. I don't think I want to go down that extra half inch. I just want to take the gap out of the fender/tire.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM
jgray205
2nd Gear
Think this is what he was talking about...

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...dClar=Cooper+S

Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Hmmm that's interesting...... So which would be better? The H&R cup kit or the koni? I would think the koni considering konis are better shocks. And it doesn't really say who makes the shocks on the cup kit?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Hmmm that's interesting...... So which would be better? The H&R cup kit or the koni? I would think the koni considering konis are better shocks. And it doesn't really say who makes the shocks on the cup kit?
Koni FTW. One of the best shocks out there and best prices. Plus you get a lifetime warranty.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Sounds like it's settled then!! Koni sport with H&R springs!! Is there any things else you guys think I should change at the same time? It's only 1.5 so I don't think they will have a problem getting it back to stock alignment. The car is an '11 with 32k.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Sounds like it's settled then!! Koni sport with H&R springs!! Is there any things else you guys think I should change at the same time? It's only 1.5 so I don't think they will have a problem getting it back to stock alignment. The car is an '11 with 32k.
Get yourself H-sport rear lower control arms($245) and keep in a eye on your rear sway bar endlinks...they tend to start failing by 45k miles. Mine failed twice:-). I'm on Detroit tuned endlinks now.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Minidaho
2nd Gear
Just picked up the H&R springs + Koni shocks kit from TireRack. I had considered buying just NM springs and leaving the rest stock, but it sounds like buying and installing the entire kit all at once is the better way to go. I'd rather do this "right" rather than half-a$$ing it.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minidaho
Just picked up the H&R springs + Koni shocks kit from TireRack. I had considered buying just NM springs and leaving the rest stock, but it sounds like buying and installing the entire kit all at once is the better way to go. I'd rather do this "right" rather than half-a$$ing it.
I agree, from what I have read and heard from friends is that if you don't go ahead and replace the shocks when you do springs, you will just have to be doing shocks in a year anyway. So why not just do it all together. Let me know how you like that kit. I'm really interested.

Quick Reply: Suspension Mini suspension noob question