Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Winter Mode build: help me build my R53

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Winter Mode build: help me build my R53

First off, let me send a huge thanks to Moby911 and bigfiero for their help and inspiration in Moby911's thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...i-is-done.html

Join with me as I learn all about suspension, wheels, tires and everything else that goes into being not normal and lifting a R53 (you second generation guys have it easy - zip over to coopercrap and have at it)

This Thread:
I will be updating this first post with critical findings for future readers, so they won't have to necessarily read through a multi page thread for answers.

The Concept:
Building on Moby911 and bigfiero's hard work, I want to create a "Winter Mode" to my 2005 JCW R53. My goal is to be able to spend less than 6 hours, twice a year to modify/retrofit/convert my car so it has better ground clearance. I am sick of hitting the snow/ice chunks on the highway and plowing snow with my front end. I actually had a bow wake of snow coming off at one point a few weeks ago. Getting high-sided on a few inches of snow is no fun.

The timeline:
June - August 2014. My hope is to have this done before a few shows that I'd like to attend later this year.

The budget:
As much as it takes... yah right. With the research I have found so far, I'm in for 3K at least. With the Canadian dollar being at a 4.5 year low, I'm not too enthused to throw money away either

The inspiration:
D Squared:

Moby911:

Bigfiero:

The Enemy:
My buddy's Paceman called the redBARON

Considering I'm Canadian and my R53 is British, I'm considering loosely calling mine "Capt. Roy". A few subtle roundels would fit the bill nicely.

The Modifications:
  1. Lifting mechanism: (spacers, coil overs, airbags)
  2. Wheels: please help me find 15-17" 4x100 8" lightweight low offset wheels
  3. Tires: please help me decide on bad-*** winter rubber
  4. Arches: I managed to score a set of wide arches. I'll update when I have them installed
  5. Alignment: Lifting this much is going to mess ***** up, what's needed to bring it back?
  6. Accessories: (skid plate, brush bar, roof rack, rear tire mount etc)

I'm out of time right now, but I'll be adding my findings and updating this post in the days to come. Please feel free to join in the fun.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
jamez
5th Gear
4. Wide Arches:

First step for me (given the images above) was to find some wide arches. There was no point putting that much rubber underneath unless I could cover it.

I searched for quite some time with little-to-no results. My goal (at the time) was to find something that would install in the stock location and be removable for the seasonal conversion. I kept coming up empty in my searches and I considered making my own.
Then fortune smiled on me as I logged into the marketplace 3 minutes after DarkSilveR53 posted a brand new set of arches from a place called speedfactoryuk (apparently they’re on FaceBook – but I’m not). This set seemed to fit the bill.

From the images I’ve seen of them (they’re in transit) they look great. I’m considering keeping them on all year round. The problem with that is that it will look silly with 17x7’s without spacers.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM
jamez
5th Gear
The good news with this whole project is that I need new suspension, winter wheels/rubber and brakes so most of the cost will be a wash.

1. Lifting Mechanism

Now that I would be able to contain all the rubber under the wide arches, the project has the possibility of moving forward. I communicated with Moby911 on his thread and through PM’s trying to figure out how to lift 2-3” or replicate what he did (again – for everyone with 2nd gen cars, go to coopercrap and you’re done).

I toyed around with a few ideas:

• Airbag suspension
  • Moby Lift spacer above Koni FSD on stock spring suspension
  • Moby Lift spacer above coil over suspension – this one (at least in my head) had promise. I could add the 2” spacer above the coil over camber plate then use the drop of the suspension itself to reset down to a stock height for the summer mode.

Then I found BC Racing’s site and I noticed a little note saying they can customize their setups…

I contacted them and they’re willing/able to create a setup that will allow for a 2” Lift and a 0.5” Drop from stock. Cue the happy dance once again. The price is very reasonable and inline for what you would expect to pay for similar stock setups like Megan’s Racing line.

I've been reading about springs and such. It sounds like the BC's can come with Swift springs - I have no idea what to do about that yet.

We’re thinking that the BC’s camber plates will be able to take care of the front camber and I’ll likely need adjustable control arms in the back to zero out the positive camber I’ll encounter.

I’ll post more on the control arms later.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM
ottawa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get an OS giken diff or this is utterly pointless. This is the only true locking differential that you can get for a MINI. If you want to make it worthy in ALL situations especially in Ontario sh*t winters, then you will NEED it.

As for rims, get 15/9 or 15/10 949 6uls. They're light and you will not have clearance issues under the arches. Mine sit snug on 15/9 fronts and I have race suspension.

I think that there is currently a back order on these as they're made for the RSR MINI and other race teams/ vendors... RMW.

maybe just some OZ rally will be your best bet. In my opinion, figure out what tire is the best combo for what you need then tailor the rim to that. Most proper off road tires only come in certain rim sizes.

rubber is subjective at best at best, you're not going to be carving any corners so you just need something that will have great winter traction and so just get something with studs and isn't made in Korea, China or any other cesspool.

As for BC coils, I know some one who can configure them to any spec and will put it on swift sprigs. I have no idea if that's a good combo when going the opposite way that I'm use too.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Fir3Chi3f
2nd Gear
Love me some lifted mini!

I'll be watching

Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribed. My '04 R53 is going to need suspension, tires, and brakes after this winter. As much as I'd like to lower my car, it's simply not practical where I live - I have enough issues trying not to bottom out in the summertime, let along the winter. I'd totally be game for a suspension that would allow me to lift the MINI for the winter, and drop it back to around stock height for the summer.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ottawa
Get an OS giken diff or this is utterly pointless. This is the only true locking differential that you can get for a MINI. If you want to make it worthy in ALL situations especially in Ontario sh*t winters, then you will NEED it.

As for rims, get 15/9 or 15/10 949 6uls. They're light and you will not have clearance issues under the arches. Mine sit snug on 15/9 fronts and I have race suspension.

I think that there is currently a back order on these as they're made for the RSR MINI and other race teams/ vendors... RMW.

maybe just some OZ rally will be your best bet. In my opinion, figure out what tire is the best combo for what you need then tailor the rim to that. Most proper off road tires only come in certain rim sizes.

rubber is subjective at best at best, you're not going to be carving any corners so you just need something that will have great winter traction and so just get something with studs and isn't made in Korea, China or any other cesspool.

As for BC coils, I know some one who can configure them to any spec and will put it on swift sprigs. I have no idea if that's a good combo when going the opposite way that I'm use too.
*edit*

Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
A locking diff is definitely in the cards for my car...I'll do that when it's time for me to replace the clutch.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Please forgive my ignorance; but can you guys let us know why we'd need true locking differentials for this application? Is it the weight of the tire, or are you just recommending it for off-road and all applications because its a front wheel drive?

I have the stock LSD if that matters.

In my case, it will be a daily driver with some snow (but surprisingly not daily snow in southern Ontario). My overall goal is to increase clearance. If I can't go with A/T's and such that may have to do (but will look silly)

I've tried to find out online, but it's somewhat vague.

Please help the noob's out, this will likely make or break the decision to move forward, as that diff mentioned above is very pricey.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Well in my case I just have a plain ol' open differential. My car does really well on typical Alaskan winter roads, all things considered. If I wind up putting a lift and beefier tires on the car, I'd more than likely venture into places where the snow is a bit deeper. I want both tires to hook up as much as possible in slippery conditions and as it sits - sometimes the open diff will send all the power to the wheel with the least traction. A locking diff would send the power to both front wheels. The cost to install a locker vs. LSD is fairly negligible so why not go for the more effective of the two?

Now if I had the stock LSD (like my sister's '06 R53), I don't think I'd bother with putting in a locker. The stock LSD works quite well for the road conditions I'd ever put my car through.

With that said - my immediate goal is to get more clearance for winter driving. I'm sick of being the snow plow in my neighborhood. These cars are downright awesome with proper winter tires, despite only being FWD. I can't imagine how much better it would be with more ground clearance. Long term - yes, I'd like to have a locking diff, but for my winter uses - it's not an immediate concern.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Cliff Cunningham
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R53 with 2" lift, 205/70 R15 Yokohama's all terrain tires. Plenty of clearance.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Ar50
1st Gear
Any more pics of this car/set up?

Originally Posted by Cliff Cunningham

R53 with 2" lift, 205/70 R15 Yokohama's all terrain tires. Plenty of clearance.