Suspension Review and Detailed Install: H&R Spring Install for Mini Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 AM
jontatt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP where did you get your alignment done?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:22 AM
DWooderson
2nd Gear
Finally installed my NM lowering springs. It was my first suspension project, and it went well, though it took me a long time.

I had a hard time getting the shock out of the driver side knuckle clamp. It just didn't want to come out. The passenger side slid right out, which was nice. Per some other tips, I used the socket adapter to spread the clamp, which seemed to work well.

This guide didn't mention bolt torque settings, I found a few from other guides, and just winged it on some bolts (I based it on how tight they were installed).

This guide also didn't mention the sway bar disconnect/connect in the steps, which involves holding the bolt with a torx wrench, and removing the nut with a box wrench, all in all, pretty straight forward, I just didn't expect it.

The rears went quickly, very simple. Installing adjustable lower control arms was also quick and easy.

I have a very slight shock mount noise (slight knock) in the left rear now, which is odd, hopefully it goes away. I know that I assembled the parts in the correct order (I was very careful and meticulous with the reassembly of the spring and shock stack).

I skipped the specialty strut nut tool, using a $6 spark plug socket instead.

I love the new ride height, this is where the car should be stock. IMO, it could even go down another inch and look normal.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Review and Detailed Install: H&R Spring Install for Mini Countryman

How thick of rear sway bar did you install?

I had the same knock and it was from the bar striking the frame. I bought the bar from VIP Customs and they sent me spacers to install between the bar and the mount c clamps immediately after I emailed them.

Last edited by miniwpbear; 01-10-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
JuanTheHuman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xenor
The alignment was the only labor I paid. I think that ended up being $90.

Without doing the spring and arm install myself, the install charge would be (from different quotes I got) around $500-$550 with a stock alignment (not including the arms, since when I called, I didn't do arms yet).

The install can be done at home with hand tools, especially the arms. They were simple bolt off, bolt on. The springs required some special tools, and knowhow, to get everything off, but there are several tutorials, including my partial tutorial to help you. I do however, understand that the springs might be more than some people could tackle or have time for.

Since I did the install of all my parts at home, my total labor was around $90 and a six pack of beer for my friend who assisted.
HEY XENOR!

Thanks for the awesome write-up! Very well done with the explanation and photos, also car stance looks great! I am also about to install springs, and wanted to know about how you cut the rear bump stops? Did you cut in half or at a specific "ripple"? For example, 1 inch from the top or 1 inch from the bottom of the bump stop?

Thanks for any help on this! Drive Safe and Drive Often. Rubber Side Down. Over and Out.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 AM
DWooderson
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JuanTheHuman
.. and wanted to know about how you cut the rear bump stops? Did you cut in half or at a specific "ripple"? For example, 1 inch from the top or 1 inch from the bottom of the bump stop?
My springs came with a sheet of paper that showed where to cut the front and rear stops. There are snowman-like nubs that define the sections.

That said, I didn't cut the front stops at all, and I cut only the first nub on the rears.

My springs have been on just one week, but I have sought out bumps and dips, and haven't been able to bottom out my car yet, granted, I haven't done this with a carload of people. When I *have* had a carload (me, wife, two kids around 13yrs old), regular driving, still no bottoming out.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 AM
JuanTheHuman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DWooderson
My springs came with a sheet of paper that showed where to cut the front and rear stops. There are snowman-like nubs that define the sections.

That said, I didn't cut the front stops at all, and I cut only the first nub on the rears.

My springs have been on just one week, but I have sought out bumps and dips, and haven't been able to bottom out my car yet, granted, I haven't done this with a carload of people. When I *have* had a carload (me, wife, two kids around 13yrs old), regular driving, still no bottoming out.
HEY WOODERSON!

Thanks for the reply and info! I bought the Megan Racing Springs, which did not come with any install/bumpstop info. It seems other also have NOT cut the front and only the rear. I will follow your advice and only cut the first "nub" off of the rears! Thanks!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Kepei
Neutral
Necroing this thread, because it's the top result and pretty much the only result on google for installing CM springs.

Where can I find the Alta performance tutorial pdf or other source for torque specs when changing springs on R60?

Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Petro
Neutral
Just swapped OEM for H&R springs. Followed instructions on this thread and head good success. One thing I have not seen listed is A problem I encountered. When removing the front assembly the axle dropped far enough that the splines disengaged. During reassembly the strut would not line up with the either the top or bottom. By turning the brake rotor and lifting, the splines lined up and the axle slipped in. After that the strut went in with little effort.