Suspension NM lowering springs = good stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow...a lot of great information over a number of years as I read the entire thread....I have. CMS4, just bought used, not sure if sport suspension comes with the "S" model? The car also came with "20" TSW wheels. I was thinking of Eibach springs, which I have put on probably 10 of my previous cars.
My questions are: is there enough clearance...does a sport suspension come with the "S" model? If not should I just go for the Megan coil overs? Thanks!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sport suspension is an option. Easiest way to tell is ask your dealership, they should know by the VIN.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Thanks! Found out I don't have the OEM sport suspension and also that the Coilovers will not work on the All4....,looks like I'll be calling on my old friend Eibach to help make the suspension a little more aggressive....

Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 AM
detours
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PureWorks
Thanks! Found out I don't have the OEM sport suspension and also that the Coilovers will not work on the All4....,looks like I'll be calling on my old friend Eibach to help make the suspension a little more aggressive....
Coilovers should work just fine on the All4. Both Megans and KW V3.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM
molala
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner and to Mini! I see they dont have specific COs for All 4 besides the KW v3. Anyone got the Megan COs on their All 4? I know they are for FWD but bit shaky to try on All 4. Thx in adv

Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've installed the Megans on an ALL 4 with no issues, and had 2 customers get them from us and put on ALL4s with no issue so I wouldn't worry about them not working. The car we did drove great and looked awesome.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM
molala
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've installed the Megans on an ALL 4 with no issues, and had 2 customers get them from us and put on ALL4s with no issue so I wouldn't worry about them not working. The car we did drove great and looked awesome.

Install no problem on the All 4? Ride quality ok although is for fwd? Like will the ride quality be very bad and bouncy etc

Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ended up going with NM. I also installed the Bilsteins in the rear to eliminate any possible bounce some people were reporting. I installed the WMW sway bar and Hotchkis control arms at the same time. All in all, I am very happy. Handles amazingly now. I was a little worried the oem front shocks wouldn't keep up with the rear billies ... But they are both playing well together. It was a tough decision going with springs instead if coilovers but didn't want to deal with the CO's corroding due to the northeast winters. Every set I've owned went to pot after a salty winter.

Attached Thumbnails NM lowering springs = good stuff-image-288789450.jpg   NM lowering springs = good stuff-image-3192627974.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 PM
molala
3rd Gear
Nice! So only rear Bilstein? You hv OEM Sport Suspension? Yea since not much CO option for All 4, the spring & shock combo is a pretty good choice

Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by molala
Nice! So only rear Bilstein? You hv OEM Sport Suspension? Yea since not much CO option for All 4, the spring & shock combo is a pretty good choice
Yes, the Bilsteins are in the rear only and stock oem (not sport) in the front. I haven't noticed any odd characteristics between the two. More driving will tell the tale.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 AM
molala
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
Yes, the Bilsteins are in the rear only and stock oem (not sport) in the front. I haven't noticed any odd characteristics between the two. More driving will tell the tale.
Ok, never seen or heard ppl just do either just front or rear only shocks! Hope they will be ok and work out for you. I wish All 4 has more suspension combo and COs available

Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by molala
Ok, never seen or heard ppl just do either just front or rear only shocks! Hope they will be ok and work out for you. I wish All 4 has more suspension combo and COs available
Agreed, generally, I would never contemplate this scenario. I have been talking with NM and they thought it would be a good set-up as well. I didn't want to deal the potential bounciness of the rear. I do have the luxury of just swapping the fronts at anytime if I feel its not working out. I perform my own work and the fronts only take about an hour to do. So far, so good though.

One thing I do notice with front and rear springs is the ride is certainly a little stiffer than stock. I was expecting them to have the same cush oem ride quality people were reporting about. Its not overly stiff but certainly noticeable...in a good way.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
I put HR springs on mine, kept the non sport shocks on my All4S, which came with 20"...I also added the Way rear sway and it handles great....I also have a front strut.....probably need some links someday....and I'm sure shocks.....but all in all....I'm jazzed...

Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 PM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
I'm deciding between NM & H&R...

What's the difference the NM Springs & H&R Springs? or at least the "spring rates"

Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 AM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaikai114
I'm deciding between NM & H&R...

What's the difference the NM Springs & H&R Springs? or at least the "spring rates"
comparing published Spring Rates for a progressive rate spring isn't an entirely accurate comparison as different manufacturers may have different ways of measurement.
ie. Is the stated rate the starting # or max/full compression number?
The actual 'rate/increase' of progression is also very important to ride quality.
ie. The first 1/2" of brand A is very soft, but then rises to a higher rate very sharply. say, brand B is relatively soft for 1.5" & then dramatically increases.
-there will be a difference in ride quality on choppy roads where the initial 2" of spring travel is being used.
Spring Rates are often not shared by manufactures for these reasons. Rates on Liner spring are entirely different. These however are progressive.

I've has the NM-E springs with 19" NM-E wheels on my ALL4 for aprox 25K & yes, they are stiffer than stock. Yes, you may bottom out(rears) on big hits. Yes, they are more responsive. No they are not horrible & crashing. Yes you will notice the difference slightly.

They are paired with my Factory Sport Suspension Shocks. The NM-E springs are aprox 3/4" lower than the already lowered factory sport springs.

Im pretty sure Neuspped doesn't coil their own springs, H&R used to for them many years back.
Having had lowered suspensions on every car Ive owned for over 20 yrs, I will say that H&R does IMO make the nicest progressive springs. They have truly mastered the 'rate of progression'.

How do they compare side by side the the NM-E? I haven't a clue. probably very very close.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SmithWerks
comparing published Spring Rates for a progressive rate spring isn't an entirely accurate comparison as different manufacturers may have different ways of measurement.
ie. Is the stated rate the starting # or max/full compression number?
The actual 'rate/increase' of progression is also very important to ride quality.
ie. The first 1/2" of brand A is very soft, but then rises to a higher rate very sharply. say, brand B is relatively soft for 1.5" & then dramatically increases.
-there will be a difference in ride quality on choppy roads where the initial 2" of spring travel is being used.
Spring Rates are often not shared by manufactures for these reasons. Rates on Liner spring are entirely different. These however are progressive.

I've has the NM-E springs with 19" NM-E wheels on my ALL4 for aprox 25K & yes, they are stiffer than stock. Yes, you may bottom out(rears) on big hits. Yes, they are more responsive. No they are not horrible & crashing. Yes you will notice the difference slightly.

They are paired with my Factory Sport Suspension Shocks. The NM-E springs are aprox 3/4" lower than the already lowered factory sport springs.

Im pretty sure Neuspped doesn't coil their own springs, H&R used to for them many years back.
Having had lowered suspensions on every car Ive owned for over 20 yrs, I will say that H&R does IMO make the nicest progressive springs. They have truly mastered the 'rate of progression'.

How do they compare side by side the the NM-E? I haven't a clue. probably very very close.
What made u choose NM over the H&R when u bought the springs?

Kevin

Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 AM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Just got the NM springs! awesome ride!

I am looking into getting adjustable control arms since I couldnt get camber on the rear in past -3 degrees.

I noticed that the NM adjustable rear sway bar links are recommended for lowered cars with aftermarket sway bars (I have the NM RSB too) and was wondering what these accomplish when the car is lowered and if anyone out there with nm springs and sway bar also put these on?

Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 PM
monkiboy
1st Gear
Good to hear you like your ride teinesina! Mine arrived a few weeks ago but still haven't gotten around to installing them yet, =).

How do you like the ride quality so far? Show us some pics!

Old 04-04-2015, 08:26 PM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Oh I freakin love it! It absolutely wants to devour turns! I love the generally firm feel too. There's something about that subtle feel over road bumps and what not that just gives me goosebumps Slowing down for railroad tracks and not just plowing blindly over stuff is just one more way I look after my car now and I love taking looking after him!

Attached Thumbnails NM lowering springs = good stuff-img_1008.jpg   NM lowering springs = good stuff-img_1014.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 PM
monkiboy
1st Gear
Just lowered my countryman with NM springs with stock sport suspension. Loving it so far!

Attached Thumbnails NM lowering springs = good stuff-img_20150415_171656.jpg   NM lowering springs = good stuff-img_20150415_121527.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 AM
Jays_CM
1st Gear
Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting the factory bump stops or not when istalling lowering springs?

NM says to cut off to the first rib.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Just recently sold my 2012 Countryman S and after 3 years with the NM springs, I ended up NOT LIKING THE RIDE. With just me in the car, the ride was ok but it did not handle small bumps or road imperfections well, especially in turns... the car would bounce around from side to side. Under load (with passengers in the car) the ride was VERY bouncy and my wife and 16 old hated riding in it. The only plus was that only perfect mountain roads, it handled way better than stock - way less body roll.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:16 AM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else with feedback on NM Springs? I'm looking to have them installed with rear sway bar and I'm hoping for a drastic change to handling and looks. Haven't purchased either yet. I'm told the springs are progressive and therefore provide a better ride as well as being stiffer around corners with less body roll. Obviously the sway bar will do this as well. I honestly don't mind a stiff ride. My R53 drove like a go-kart and I loved it. What I don't want is a bouncy ride like some have mentioned. The car in stock form has bouncing issues. More than any car I've ever had. It can be alarming and is one of the main reasons I want to upgrade the suspension. Don't have money for shocks though.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Junior 2.0
Neutral
Originally Posted by weaverpsu
Anyone else with feedback on NM Springs? I'm looking to have them installed with rear sway bar and I'm hoping for a drastic change to handling and looks. Haven't purchased either yet. I'm told the springs are progressive and therefore provide a better ride as well as being stiffer around corners with less body roll. Obviously the sway bar will do this as well. I honestly don't mind a stiff ride. My R53 drove like a go-kart and I loved it. What I don't want is a bouncy ride like some have mentioned. The car in stock form has bouncing issues. More than any car I've ever had. It can be alarming and is one of the main reasons I want to upgrade the suspension. Don't have money for shocks though.
I just installed the NM rear sway bar in my wife's 2016 R60 and set it to the mid setting. It took away a lot of the bounce and roll that it had before. I'm also looking at doing the coilovers as well, but so far, she's happy with the way it is driving now.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:10 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks. I saw a bunch of people say to put it on stiffest setting and then months later started seeing a couple people say to start with mid-setting. Interesting. I bought sway bar but no springs yet.