Suspension Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frstrtdmac
So putting this on with the sport suspension is great.. what about lowered suspension and the strut bar?
That's pretty much a necessity, isn't it? I mean to get a decent camber angle. Otherwise you'll eat your tires.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
True.. True..

Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm unsure about otherwise, but I've got lowered suspension, sports suspension, and the strut bar and I'm quite happy with the handling.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:10 AM
TDNparts
2nd Gear
the top stress bar has NOTHING to do with the camber of a sport or lowered car. The bar prevents deflection during hard cornering.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Solar10
2nd Gear
Umm, not exactly.The concept of a strut bar is intended on reducing the flex between the front strut towers during hard cornering loads. By reducing this flex, it allows suspension points to remain undisturbed, allowing for the suspension to do it's job properly. This often gives the drive a feeling of increased stability and improved turning response, when in reality, the suspension is reacting as designed. When a strut tower deflects it affects the camber of your front wheels which in turn affects the amount of rubber you have on the ground.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
TDNparts
2nd Gear
exactly. It PREVENTS(actually reduces) DEFLECTION, as I stated.
They 'help' reduce/eliminate additional/unwanted chassis flex(deflection), therefore 'helping' to maintain proper camber.

If you lower your car, you will gain camber & increase bump steer. Getting a proper alignment will get you back within 'spec' as long as you are not excessively lowering the car beyond the limits correctable via factory parts.

Factory parts have limitations on how much correction can be achieved. *Aftermarket parts aid in levels +/- adjustments. (ie camber bolts, pillow ball mounts, adjustable control arms, tie rods, etc)

Last edited by TDNparts; 06-05-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone know if the VIP STB will fit over a NM CAI?

[edit] I think so....?

Last edited by Shoof; 06-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
Does anyone know if the VIP STB will fit over a NM CAI?

[edit] I think so....?

I'd like to know this too

Kyle

[edit] It does fit Found this picture in the beginning of the thread that "minicmsall4" had in their gallery - https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/102739/ppuser/101182

Last edited by kconner5; 06-05-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Shoof
5th Gear
My only concern is that the STB mounts to the shock tower with no protection for the shock tower mushrooming effect. I'm sure everyone will say "that's never going to happen on the CM", but guess what, that's what they said about the R55/R56 when it was notorious to happen on the previous gen. Both of my shock towers mushroomed from the nasty roads I drive every day. Better to be safe than sorry, I'd rather have a STB that offers additional bracing to help protect the top of the tower from mushrooming to happen again. Are there any others that do this for the R60?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
My only concern is that the STB mounts to the shock tower with no protection for the shock tower mushrooming effect. I'm sure everyone will say "that's never going to happen on the CM", but guess what, that's what they said about the R55/R56 when it was notorious to happen on the previous gen. Both of my shock towers mushroomed from the nasty roads I drive every day. Better to be safe than sorry, I'd rather have a STB that offers additional bracing to help protect the top of the tower from mushrooming to happen again. Are there any others that do this for the R60?
I agree it's a valid concern. Does the NM Eng. strut bar not offer this protection?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
NM doesn't offer one for the Countryman yet. I spoke to them yesterday and was told that they are still in development. They should have a rear sway bar and strut tower brace ready to sell in August.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:52 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
So I don't quite understand this "mushroom effect"... Could you explain it a bit more? My strut bar is in the mail right now

Kyle

Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM
TDNparts
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kconner5
So I don't quite understand this "mushroom effect"... Could you explain it a bit more? My strut bar is in the mail right now

Kyle
basically, the strut-mount area(sheet metal) on the chassis deforms due to impact.
It's structurally a weak area that mini has addressed but it still a concern/issue.
(roads, run flats, wheel wt/tire size, etc all seem to effect it) See the poll thread.
Strut bars will help reduce chassis flex/maintain correct camber but do not really reinforce the mounting area that is generally 'weak'.
It appears there are a few vendors that have metal plate that mount underneath the metal(strut area) to strengthen/disperse the impact/load & prolong/reduce/eliminate the damaging 'mushroom' damage.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Mushrooming is notorious on the GEN1 cars.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
MdlRcktScientst
Neutral
Has anyone checked to see if strut tower reinforcement plates for a different model MINI (like these) will fit the R60? The hole pattern certainly seems similar from the pictures....

Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
miniMAUL
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MdlRcktScientst
Has anyone checked to see if strut tower reinforcement plates for a different model MINI (like these) will fit the R60? The hole pattern certainly seems similar from the pictures....
When I was having my lift installed, I discussed getting the NM bar/brace with the guys at OXSpeed. They had the NM bar in stock and when it did not fit they contacted NM and were told that an R60 model was in the works. The issue seems to be with the driver side strut tower having an additional part mounted there.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Thought I'd bump this to see if anyone's heard anything regarding the NM bar. I'd e-mail Jerry directly, but I've badgered him about the bar several times over the last 6 months. I'm afraid he'll blacklist me if I call again.

Anyone else want to take a turn at poking the bear?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Chibi-Mini
2nd Gear
Does anyone experience with Strut Bar from following?

UltraRacing

chromiumtech

Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chibi-Mini
Does anyone experience with Strut Bar from following?

UltraRacing

chromiumtech
I have never seen the ultra racing bar before. The chromium tech is what I want. It looks very oem but costs typical mini oem $$$.$$.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
minibluez
2nd Gear
I just ordered the VIP strut bar and have a garage lined up to install it for $70. But I know it's really easy, I just don't have the tools. Can someone advice on what tools I need please? Maybe cheaper to just buy and DIY?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
I just ordered the VIP strut bar and have a garage lined up to install it for $70. But I know it's really easy, I just don't have the tools. Can someone advice on what tools I need please? Maybe cheaper to just buy and DIY?
Keep your $70 and buy a set of combination wrenches, not sure of the size it was but it takes like 10 minutes to install. If your handy at all or have a friend who is its easy. Just tighten the bolts down nice and tight. Get your dealer to torque them for you if you wish. Just go in and ask them to do it. If they are worth their salt a tech will come out to the parking lot with a torque wrench and check them for ya....30 seconds of his time.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM
oldvintageiron
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tom W
Keep your $70 and buy a set of combination wrenches, not sure of the size it was but it takes like 10 minutes to install. If your handy at all or have a friend who is its easy. Just tighten the bolts down nice and tight. Get your dealer to torque them for you if you wish. Just go in and ask them to do it. If they are worth their salt a tech will come out to the parking lot with a torque wrench and check them for ya....30 seconds of his time.
I believe you need a 13mm wrench. When you install it do not tighten to tight. You can strip the threads on the stud. Should be an easy 15 min job.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom W
Combination wrenches won't do you any good as the nuts are commonly recessed down into the strut tower bars. Get a metric socket set. Lowes has their Kobalt sets on sale pretty often or get a larger Craftsman set. All you really need is a 3/8" ratchet, a 13mm socket, and a small extension.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM
mrgentleminh
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgentleminh
I wouldn't buy that. The title says R60 but the description says the strut bar is for 2001-2006 R53 S. You'd be better off spending the $200 this thing costs on the VIP strut bar which is the same price and ships from the USA so you'll get it much faster. It's also very well made

Quick Reply: Suspension Strut Bar