MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Signature badge collection
by bolus
507 Replies, 185,655 Views
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Koni FSD?

I have a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman with close to 88,000 miles on it. I am running 15 in rims. I am looking to upgrade the shocks for better comfort and handling. I live in Nashville TN where the roads are pretty good. I do a lot of driving on twisty country roads. I am also thinking about doing AutoX next year. I am the only person that ever drives the car my wife has her own car.

Would the Koni FSD shocks be good for my situation? Another suggestions?

Nashville Photographer: Nick Bumgardner

My Blog
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I think the FSDs would be a great upgrade for your particular situation
Factory built 08/08 MINI JCW: JCW Aerokit, M7 C-Wing, Bilstein PSS10, Vorshlag camber plates, RennSport Racing Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, Howerton Engineering HFS-3 w/ Race Tank, Whiteline 20mm RSB, RMW Tune, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1, DoS CAI, Evolve FMIC, BSH OCC + Dual Boost Port, NM SSK, etalj-spec torque arm ;), Goodridge SS Brake Lines, Endless RF-650 fluid, Carbotech XP12s, ALTA PSRS, Powergrid adjustable endlinks, Challenge Decals
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumgardnern View Post
I have a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman with close to 88,000 miles on it.

88K on 2008!!!???

for a fellow Photog. & Club Man!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
I think Camber plates are a good thought. The stock ones have seen almost 90K and the fixed IE (for example) cost about the same as stock.
Webb Head, RMW Cam, RMW tune *228HP/199TQ, 2 1/2" Alta Full exhaust, Koni FSD, IE fixed, Meth@ 10lbs., 450cc injectors, 15% pulley, ATI damper, M7 cc, MM OC, M7 STB, H&R 19mm RSB, CM FX400 and lightened flywheel, Wilwood BBK, Koenig 16in rims,vibratronics mounts, boost, oil temp and pressure gauges, Hot Air Intake, Italian Air Horn
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata Steva View Post
88K on 2008!!!???

for a fellow Photog. & Club Man!!!
Yep it has seen a lot of miles. It has been on a ton of trips from TN to IL. My wife and I actually just bought an SUV that we will be driving on the long trips now. I hope to stop outing so many miles on the Mini.

My Blog
Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Gallery
Garage
If your not wanting to lower the car the FSD's would be a good choice.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I have decided to go with the FSDs. What are the odds that they will go on sale soon? I saw some threads from last year where they were 25% off.

My Blog
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Are bushings required for FSDs'?

I have an '09 MCS with the FSDs, and I am getting a lot of rattles both front and back. I think I just need to tighten up the sway bar ends on the front, but I thought I saw somewhere that you might need to use the Alta bushes on the rear. I didn't based on a conversation with the folks I bought the shocks from. Did I do it wrong? Do you really need to crank down the mounting bolts on these things?
Phil
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by peporter View Post
I have an '09 MCS with the FSDs, and I am getting a lot of rattles both front and back. I think I just need to tighten up the sway bar ends on the front, but I thought I saw somewhere that you might need to use the Alta bushes on the rear. I didn't based on a conversation with the folks I bought the shocks from. Did I do it wrong? Do you really need to crank down the mounting bolts on these things?
Phil
Sounds like you didn't correctly tighten your swaybar droplinks. Remember they are comprised of a bolt and nut assembly that you have to tighten, and then you have to wrap a spanner around the back end (behind the actual swaybar), to hold the bolt in place while you fully tighten the nut a few more turns.
Factory built 08/08 MINI JCW: JCW Aerokit, M7 C-Wing, Bilstein PSS10, Vorshlag camber plates, RennSport Racing Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, Howerton Engineering HFS-3 w/ Race Tank, Whiteline 20mm RSB, RMW Tune, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1, DoS CAI, Evolve FMIC, BSH OCC + Dual Boost Port, NM SSK, etalj-spec torque arm ;), Goodridge SS Brake Lines, Endless RF-650 fluid, Carbotech XP12s, ALTA PSRS, Powergrid adjustable endlinks, Challenge Decals
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I would say good choice, OEMs probably shot anyways.

Got the FSD's with only 1,700 miles on her, mainly looking for ride quality. Felt very little improvement there.

Then at 2,600 miles ditched the runflats for the tires in my sig. Night & Day difference in ride quality.

Here's were I got mine from:

http://jdmultimate.com/koni/koni_fsd...0/i-99245.aspx

Handy Tool: Wheel Change Stud

Latest Tech: Run Flats that ride and handle smooth
Old 01-09-2011, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
I stand corrected, the bushing kit is from Helix. The question remains, are they necessary for the FSD install?
Phil
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Vendor

Gallery
Garage
If the FSDs you got didn't have the bushing on the bottom of the rear shocks then yes you would need them.
Here is what they look like:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/r56-rea...ngs-or-gp.html
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Didn't see anything like them in the Koni boxes. Would they have included a mention of this in the installation instructions? Will it really destroy my rear swing arm/
phil
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

Send a message via ICQ to jrw
Gallery
I had Way install my Koni FSD's on my 06 Cooper. Flawless work on the install. He also put on the Hbar 19mm rear sway bar. Handling is superb and it really makes the Yokohama S drives perform great. Sensational tires. Konis are smooth and quiet on the highway and grips like crazy in the turns...stiff when it needs to be. If you go with Way you don't go wrong.

Last edited by jrw; 01-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
are the koni FSD's meant to be used with OEM spring ONLY? or it can be used with mild drop lowering springs, like TSW for instance?

will the OEM strut plate work with the koni shocks(sport or fsd), or it is better to get the IE fixed camper plates?

thanks

-calvin
Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leafz View Post
are the koni FSD's meant to be used with OEM spring ONLY? or it can be used with mild drop lowering springs, like TSW for instance?

will the OEM strut plate work with the koni shocks(sport or fsd), or it is better to get the IE fixed camper plates?

thanks

-calvin
Koni FSD are ONLY for stock springs. OEM strut top will work with FSDs, but I would recommend getting some aftermarket camber plates. They are a must for anyone that likes hitting the bends
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
To JRW

Agree with your assessment. Just installed Koni FSD on 2006 R52 (Cabriolet) at 24K miles. Better body control (read that stiffer) than stock, while softer on the nastiest of RR tracks and patchy pavement. The harder you drive, the smoother they become. Car feels planted, solid, and sticks to the road. I also have 22mm mini-madness sway bar, tower brace and bottom brace - all from Madness. Now, with FSD, the car feels solid and smooth compared to stock.

--RussWK
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Vendor

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peporter View Post
Didn't see anything like them in the Koni boxes. Would they have included a mention of this in the installation instructions? Will it really destroy my rear swing arm/
phil
If you got a set for the R56 the bushings should have been part of the struts, they do it on the Koni yellows too. That's why it wouldn't mention it in the instructions.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Bushings...

Hey, thanks! I got'em for the R-56 ('09 MCS), so I'm good...I'll get a good nights sleep tonight.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM