Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension I don't think it's supposed to look like this

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 03:40 PM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it's supposed to look like this

I just took my car to the shop I've been taking it to for repairs, and...I cannot say I'm leaving at all happy.

I was told the rear struts were shot and needed to be replaced. They told me the initial struts they had gotten were misboxed (whatever that actually means), and they had to take extra time to find the right ones. Well I'm pretty sure they did NOT find the right ones. Have you ever seen a Mini Cooper that's raised up this high in the back!?!?!? PLEASE tell me I'm not crazy...and WTH should I do about this!?!? I am NOT happy with this - I JUST bought these (used) wheels and got some nice summer rubber for them, and now it looks like this!?!?!?

Old 05-05-2022, 03:46 PM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
For reference, this is what it looked like with these new wheels on but without the rear struts replaced.

To me, this looks COMPLETELY normal, and awesome.

Now I am driving something awful.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:59 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Looks like the shop installed a set of preassembled shocks and springs? See if you can get pictures of any marking in the rear assemblies. My guess is that they installed Countryman assemblies in the rear… The Countryman assemblies will physically fit the R56, but will raise the rear by 1-1/2” to 2”, which is what it looks like in your first picture.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:29 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Looks like the shop installed a set of preassembled shocks and springs? See if you can get pictures of any marking in the rear assemblies. My guess is that they installed Countryman assemblies in the rear… The Countryman assemblies will physically fit the R56, but will raise the rear by 1-1/2” to 2”, which is what it looks like in your first picture.
Thank you sir - I read that in another thread and I feel even more validated and believe that is what happened. I don't know how I would really manage to get any pictures... at least not until later. I don't have easy access to a place where I can raise the car up...the shop tells me they ordered the parts based on my VIN. I'm thinking the shop did whatever they were supposed to do, but the parts supplier did not.

I was trying to look at pictures of other '12 Base models and it's so hard to tell if the ride height is actually "normal" like it seemed to be before, or kind of raised up. It seems like either the previous owner had some aftermarket parts on there that the shop didn't know or care about, or, like you said and people in other threads have said, that is not the correct assembly. I just have trouble believing I'm supposed to be able to fit my entire fist between the tire and the fender, with room to spare.

Last edited by CookieMobster; 05-06-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:47 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Here are the reference ride heights from the factory manual on NewTIS:

Those should help you figure out how out of spec your car is.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (06-07-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 07:15 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Thank you!! - forgive me for being a bit of a n00b, but can you put this into medium laymen's terms for me please? I'm not really sure I understand exactly what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:20 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Sure...

Go out and measure the ride height of your car using the method described in the beginning of those spec sheets - measure vertical from the fender lip to the bottom lip of the rim. Take that measurement and compare to the spec .

Your picture looks like you have the 17" wheels, so your car ride height "should" be 588 mm front and 572 mm rear with a tolerance of ± 10 mm.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:29 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Sure...

Go out and measure the ride height of your car using the method described in the beginning of those spec sheets - measure vertical from the fender lip to the bottom lip of the rim. Take that measurement and compare to the spec .

Your picture looks like you have the 17" wheels, so your car ride height "should" be 588 mm front and 572 mm rear with a tolerance of ± 10 mm.
Thank you so much - that made all the sense. I just wasn't sure which numbers I should be looking at.

Just measured, and yes, the rears are WAY out of spec. They are sitting at about 633mm.

Thing is, I found the part number from apparently AutoZone, where they ordered them from, and called to verify that this was the correct part number for my car - and it IS. According to AutoZone. But it is obviously NOT the correct part for this car. I'm going to contact AutoZone corporate and let them know this is wrong.

Also, something interesting - I called the Mini dealer near me to find out parts cost for these, and they are actually CHEAPER than the AutoZone parts! By about $20!

Old 05-06-2022, 07:42 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Just for giggles, I went and pulled the height for the R60 Countryman, an guess what...

You're right at the rear ride height!!!

Sounds like the definitely gave you Countryman shock assemblies. Hopefully, they make it right.

It's annoying why these companies can't get their heads out of the way with stuff like this. And this is exactly why I wrench on my own cars as much as possible, and only buy parts from reputable suppliers after doing my research to find the correct parts.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:45 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Wow. Enlightening - thank you!!! It's all coming together now.

I would truly love to do more of my own work - I used to, but the place I live in has become increasingly more full of crap from our landlord, so I just don't have the space in a garage - and I'm not about to work on my car on the street! Someday in the future I WILL have a garage again and I will be doing whatever I can myself.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:31 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Do you (or does anyone) know if there is a parts retailer that DEFINITELY carries the correct strut assembly for the R56 Cooper Base??? So I can make sure the mechanic ends up with the right items?

Old 05-06-2022, 09:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Is there a reason you want the full assembled shock and spring units? You should be able to reuse your OEM springs, and just have the shocks replaced.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:59 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
I personally don't care - I just don't think the shop kept my springs because of how this came fully assembled. Which makes me go GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR EVEN MORE

Old 05-06-2022, 10:30 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
You could go this route...
Get this set of used shock assemblies:
https://www.allmagautoparts.com/coll...853965-r56-207
Then, add a pair of these new shocks:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...19-215990~bil/

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (05-17-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:56 AM
CookieMobster
1st Gear
Thanks. I might do that, or take a similar route. Tomorrow the shop is going to attempt to install parts from another supplier - but first they will lay them side by side with the ones they had already installed. If those new parts are the same size, I am going to rip my non-existent hair out (I'm bald) and have a yelling fit, and then tell them to go F themselves because congratulations, according to the incorrect information both these parts suppliers have, the shop is right! But if one were to USE THEIR BRAIN for a second, they could TELL that this was NOT the correct part...

And then I actually have been thinking...since the Mini Cooper factory parts are more than $1000 more than what I already paid, I might as well just say F it, and upgrade to coilovers. Cause why the hell not at this point?

The other issue I'm having right now, while I'm on the subject, is that the tires they installed on these wheels...they either installed them incorrectly, or didn't balance them correctly, because at 55mph, it literally sounds like I'm on a jet plane. This would be fine, if the shop wasn't trying to gaslight me by telling me, "I don't hear anything. I don't know what you're talking about." This isn't the first car I've ever driven, and it's certainly not the first car I've had summer tires put on larger wheels and then driven. Come on.

This has been the WORST experience I've ever had and I will not be returning to this shop...

Forgive my frustrations. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by CookieMobster; 05-10-2022 at 10:16 AM.