MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
The weight reduction thread
by gocka
105 Replies, 19,825 Views
Dp upgrade
28 Replies, 1,264 Views
My lifted mini is done!
by Moby911
146 Replies, 33,179 Views
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Pulls to the right...

We just had the MCS in to have an alignment done. They said that the right tierod was seized, and since they didn't have a part to fix it if it broke, they didn't adjust that side. They only adjusted the left side. They stated that the left tierod was all the way out (?). We now have a pretty noticable pull to the right and we have a slight wobble at speeds between 45 and 55mph. It was in to the tire shop today to check balance, and all are perfect. We took it back to the dealer that did the alignment today(BMW), and they "looked" at it and said that it is fine and they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything else. The steering wheel sits off center when the wheels are straight now also and my hubby says that there is a warning light that keeps showing up. Something about not being centered.

Would excessive toe on one side cause pulling? I really don't understand all of the variables here.

Here's the kicker. They printed off the numbers for us, and it shows that they adjusted the front right toe, and that it is the same as the toe on the left side. This isn't possible if they didn't touch the right tierod, right?

We are sending it to another alignment shop tomorrow(not another dealer) and we will get readings and hopefully a proper alignment. Am I wrong in thinking that this dealer is screwed up?? We paid them a lot to screw up the alignment on this car. We had no issues before, but wanted to be sure because he lowered it and put on different size wheels.

EDIT: I guess there isn't a light yet, but he was told that it could throw codes if it stays out of center.

Last edited by SORMINI; 06-12-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:59 AM
Moderating in Moderation

Gallery
see
http://www.drivewire.com/replacementparts/tierod.html

I would get the part(s) to replace the seized or worn tie rod end/assembly.
then do a full alignment to specs.

I have only a brake and alignment specialty shop do the alignment, not the dealership.

They gave you some conflicting information, doesn't add up.
2005-2009 SCCA Hawaii Solo Run Off/Points Champion Street Mod class #43
2005-2008 SCCA Hawaii Solo PAX overall: 8th 2006, 7th 2007, Tied 10th 2008.
2010-2011 Modified FWD RallyCross (Points Champion)
http://www.sccahawaii.org/pics2008/s.../img_38944.jpg
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Went to get my allignment done today at firestone. The car is still pulling to the right after that. Reason is because Mini's factory camber and caster settings on the front is designed for european road which is mostly flat not curved like in US. They suggest a solution of getting a camber and caster kit so the front camber and caster can be adjusted. I know Alta PSRS allows additional caster angle. Will that fix my problem,since I will be soon due for front bushing replacement.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
The car is still pulling to the right after that. Reason is because Mini's factory camber and caster settings on the front is designed for european road which is mostly flat not curved like in US.
Did they manage to tell you this with a straight face? What you need is a competent alignment shop.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric loe View Post
Went to get my allignment done today at firestone. The car is still pulling to the right after that. Reason is because Mini's factory camber and caster settings on the front is designed for european road which is mostly flat not curved like in US. They suggest a solution of getting a camber and caster kit so the front camber and caster can be adjusted. I know Alta PSRS allows additional caster angle. Will that fix my problem,since I will be soon due for front bushing replacement.
Try to cross rotate the two front tires... please post your camber toe and caster numbers and I'll help out. The roads here ARE crowned more than in Europe, cars will drift right on occasion but you should never feel a tug on the wheel. The difference in caster left to right will cause the pull not the overall numbers.

2010 Laser Blau Cooper S
JCW BBK|JCW Shifter|JCW CF Scoop|OZ Superturismo GT's|Koni FSD's w/H&R Sports|NM Swaybars|NM SSK
Alta Gauge kit|K&N Intake|Shorty Antenna
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Do you have any strut tower mushrooming?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Sorry for the late response. This site was unsafe for some time.
@Norcal Cyclist
Front Left
Camber -0.6 (actual) deg
Caster 3.8(actual) deg
Toe 0.13 (actual) 0.31 (before)
Front Right
Camber -0.7 (actual)
Caster 3.5 (actual)
Toe 0.15 (actual)
Rear Left
Camber -1.5 (actual)
Toe 0.17 (actual)
Rear Right
Camber -1.6
Toe 0.19

There is definitely no tug on steering. The car will eventually drift to the right when steering wheel is released.

@nitrogen 76
No i don't have strut mushrooming.

Thanks for the response
Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM