MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Ello Ello
0 Replies, 1 Views
Hey guys! 2004 R53
48 Replies, 898 Views
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
"Check Filler cap" light comes on!

Ok so my filler cap light comes on when I start driving. I have checked both the gas cap, the engine oil cap and any other caps I could find and have tightened them so that they are not loose. The problem doesn't seem to go away.

Any thoughts, advice?
02 MCS with head & shrick cam, Nology hot wires-Brisk spark plugs, Magnaflow exhaust (1st generation), 15%, DT Tensioner stop, M7 CAI, TB, M7 OCC, Hotchkis 22mm rear 26mm front, Craven SS with silver well cover, GRS IC, OBX header, oil/boost gauges. Cross Coils, Alta endlinks, Hotchkis R CA, Alta F CA power bushings, black SSR (17x7.5), Yoko S-Drives, Stoptech BBK. RMW Tune @ 220 whp.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
The light refers to the fuel filler. A nice touch because in most cars the "check engine" light will come on.
I'd check the fuel cap again - of course the whole point of the light coming on is to alert you to a vapor leak from the fuel system so you may what to check for any damage to the filler cap (out or round) or other fuel system issues.

JCW sound kit, anthracite 17" R90's, parcel shelf, Ian's auto up, bluetooth,
Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Could the cap go bad? (like a failed seal?)
Old 03-23-2007, 03:15 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibson61611 View Post
Could the cap go bad? (like a failed seal?)
Yes caps can go bad. Like a failed seal.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
I've checked the fuel cap few times and nothing seems out of norm. I have opened and closed it tight few times as well. However, I'm starting to think that it could be that after a while when you drive the car it looses that sealant grip or something. I will have to have the shop take a look at it and check it out. Not sure if anyone would actualy know if it's bad just by looking at it.

Any other thoughts? Oh, and by the way, my check engine is on due to the 180 thermostat the shop installed for me. It's something that won't go away unless I change it back to stock.
02 MCS with head & shrick cam, Nology hot wires-Brisk spark plugs, Magnaflow exhaust (1st generation), 15%, DT Tensioner stop, M7 CAI, TB, M7 OCC, Hotchkis 22mm rear 26mm front, Craven SS with silver well cover, GRS IC, OBX header, oil/boost gauges. Cross Coils, Alta endlinks, Hotchkis R CA, Alta F CA power bushings, black SSR (17x7.5), Yoko S-Drives, Stoptech BBK. RMW Tune @ 220 whp.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
252whp 200trq RMW style

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
My check gas cap light was on due to a bad fuel canister (something thats attached to the fuel line and system) Theye replaced it and whammo, no more issue
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Neutral

Gallery
fuel filler cap

If you have changed accessory belt recently just above alternator is your fuel tank vent, check lines and make sure did not put upside down. Lines fit better upside down but the electric connection actually goes on bottom. If upside down or lines loose the light will come on.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyColby View Post
If you have changed accessory belt recently just above alternator is your fuel tank vent, check lines and make sure did not put upside down. Lines fit better upside down but the electric connection actually goes on bottom. If upside down or lines loose the light will come on.

Andy, U R da MAN!! I have been dealing with this for a While!! When I replaced my Supercharger, Of course this was off and It never occured to me that I could install this USD! Man 0 Man! U saved my life because this was starting to wear me out and needing to go through Inspection in the next 30 days I was getting to the point of disconnecting the Idiot light because they only look at the IM Monitors and all of them will read OK even though there are 2 codes showing.

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM