Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
View Poll Results: If you had mushrooming or a cracked strut mount please vote
mushrooming: stock suspension / 15" non-runflat tires
3.00%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 16" runflat tires
7.79%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 16" non-runflat tires
6.38%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 17" runflat tires
32.46%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 17" non-runflat tires
20.08%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 18" runflat tires
2.06%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 18" non-runflat tires
2.25%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 15" non-runflat tires
0.28%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 16" runflat tires
0.66%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 16" non-runflat tires
1.50%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 17" runflat tires
2.91%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 17" non-runflat tires
5.44%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 18" runflat tires
0.38%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 18" non-runflat tires
1.69%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 15" non-runflat tires
2.25%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 16" runflat tires
3.19%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 16" non-runflat tires
3.00%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 17" runflat tires
10.51%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 17" non-runflat tires
6.94%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 18" runflat tires
0.56%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 18" non-runflat tires
1.31%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 15" non-runflat tires
0.28%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 16" runflat tires
0.56%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 16" non-runflat tires
1.03%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 17" runflat tires
1.03%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 17" non-runflat tires
2.35%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 18" runflat tires
0.47%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 18" non-runflat tires
0.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1066. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Mushrooming/strut mount failure data collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CutnThrust
I'm just trying to be optimistic. If the problem is so bad that this is occurring on good roads with good drivers, then BMW should definitely be called into account.

Here's the deal . . . I'm not too keen on the possibility that I will have to become some overnight mechanic and disassemble my car to address a problem . . . which shouldn't even exist. Mini's are reasonable, but they are far from cheap.

Personally, I am not good enough with a wrench to execute the repair or installation of preventive parts myself . . . the only thing that I can do is try to drive with some respect for the issue.

I would much rather put my money toward having mods installed on the car that would provide return in performance.

Simply put, if this problem is vast, then there should be some method upon which these very popular message boards should be used to ultimately force a factory solution.
If I were you, I would get the M7 SRP's as a preventative measure. MINIUSA as of now consider it wear and tear and not a warranty issue.

Originally Posted by bpetzold
I live in SF, drive a lot in the city and have 17" runflats. I'm sorry but I just can't buy this poll. 17" runflats are standard with the MCS with sports package. I bet that this setup is the most common. I bet that people with 17" runflats who didn't mushroom are just as disproportionate as those who did. This poll needs what amounts to a control group. Non mushrooming voices that will offset what is being quoted as gospel in a well meaning but flawed experiment. I'm not trying to be a di*k but reading through this thread made me upset because the data is so skewed. I realize that this is trying to solve a bad problem with this car which I luckily haven"t experienced (yet). I just don't think that this is comprehensive enough to draw any conclusions from it. It will take a much more detailed database. There are factor such as local temperature, detailed spring rates, etc to really pinpoint the problem. Also the prevalence of stock 17" runflat vs modded needs to be reconciled. As it stands This survey is about as scientific as asking people around the country if they get water up their nose when swimming. Obviously, those who live by lakes and the ocean, or who have a pool will have a stronger showing
I really don't think a NAM poll is supposed to be "scientific" This is just a general concensous of what everyone has. You want scientific data, start to gather it and let us know, it'll just state the same information, but without the footnotes. But hay, its your MINI and if you don't want to do anything to prevent Mushroomism, than don't complain here about finding it later and ask what to do about it.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:05 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JustJAY
...I really don't think a NAM poll is supposed to be "scientific" [Emphasis added.] This is just a general concensous of what everyone has. You want scientific data, start to gather it and let us know, it'll just state the same information, but without the footnotes. But hay, its your MINI and if you don't want to do anything to prevent Mushroomism, than don't complain here about finding it later and ask what to do about it.
Exactly. The purpose of the poll was not to get precision to a 98th percentile. My objective in starting the poll was to provide members with the ability to see potential risk areas and then make intelligent decisions based on their respective circumstance.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:25 PM
HVYWGHT
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 MINI Cooper, standard suspension, regular 15" wheels, non-runflats, and have this with both strut mounts, no mushrooming. I have 31k miles, not that much.

I believe it's a design flaw. Why is that other cars don't suffer from it? And yes, the MINI's suspension is firm, but not so much as to destroy strut mounts and towers.

We need to do something about this. It's not normal wear and tear if cars of very variable mileage and very variable wheel/tire/suspension combinations are experiencing the same failures.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HVYWGHT
I have a 2004 MINI Cooper, standard suspension, regular 15" wheels, non-runflats, and have this with both strut mounts, no mushrooming. I have 31k miles, not that much.

I believe it's a design flaw. Why is that other cars don't suffer from it? And yes, the MINI's suspension is firm, but not so much as to destroy strut mounts and towers.

We need to do something about this. [Emphasis added.] It's not normal wear and tear if cars of very variable mileage and very variable wheel/tire/suspension combinations are experiencing the same failures.
What would you propose be done? MINI has already taken the position that any damage to the strut mount and/or strut towers is a road hazard item. In some instances, MINI is picking up the cost of replacement of the strut mounts. Beyond that, don't hold your breath for MINI to do something. At that point, it becomes a personal decision - how much are you willing to pay for peace of mind? $100 - go with the M7 strut reinforcing plates and keep inspecting your strut mounts. $300-ish - go with Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates and an alignment and the problem should be solved plus you get the benefit of improved handling from the 1.25 degrees of negative camber that is provided by the plates.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 PM
johnnymg
2nd Gear
Hmmmmmmm.................... no reported problems from the stock 15" wheel/tire combos. Me thinks this is a design problem.

JohnG

Old 11-30-2006, 11:09 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnnymg
Hmmmmmmm.................... no reported problems from the stock 15" wheel/tire combos. Me thinks this is a design problem.

JohnG
It could very well be a design problem. Getting MINI to admit it much less remedy it is an entirely different matter.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Of course it's a design flaw. Never have I had or heard of a car that has parts of its chassis bent out of shape by normal road irregularities. It's horse hockey that MINI doesn't offer a correction for this, but it would cost them huge $$ because the flaw and remedy, whatever that may be, is a major structural part of every car.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Of course it's a design flaw. Never have I had or heard of a car that has parts of its chassis bent out of shape by normal road irregularities.
I suppose you are not familiar with the rear upper mounts on the BMW E36 (3-series)? Unfortunately, I am. Fortunately, we did not experience the rarer occurance of the entire rear suspension subframe assembly ripping out of the car under hard cornering - which has sent a few guys to the hospital... or worse... Therefore the MINI's issues do not surprise me at all...

Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
No mushrooming here 2003 with one good pothole hit on right side

Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IanF
I suppose you are not familiar with the rear upper mounts on the BMW E36 (3-series)? Unfortunately, I am. Fortunately, we did not experience the rarer occurance of the entire rear suspension subframe assembly ripping out of the car under hard cornering - which has sent a few guys to the hospital... or worse... Therefore the MINI's issues do not surprise me at all...
Okay, maybe I should have qualified my statement. BMW and MINI are from the same magical place, yes? It seems to me to be a design flaw peculiar to this parent company, unless there are other expensive auto brands that have these same types of anomalies. I've driven American and Japanese cars for 25 years or so and have never bent a frame, not counting the time I drove my Rabbit into a concrete barrier. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:26 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ugh. Well I finally took a look at my MCS (stock 17" Pirelli runflats) and it appears that the right (passenger side) strut tower has a very very faint case of mushrooming. The driver's side looks ok. I didn't actually measure or anything, just going by eyeball.

Bought my '04 MCS used, it was originally a San Francisco vehicle so I'm sure it has hit some potholes in its lifetime.

Guess it's time for me to get some strut tower supports before the problem gets worse.

This also prompted me to remove the 17" wheels/tires, and install a set of 15" winter studded tires. Rides quite a bit smoother now!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Okay, maybe I should have qualified my statement. BMW and MINI are from the same magical place, yes? It seems to me to be a design flaw peculiar to this parent company, unless there are other expensive auto brands that have these same types of anomalies. I've driven American and Japanese cars for 25 years or so and have never bent a frame, not counting the time I drove my Rabbit into a concrete barrier. But that's a whole 'nother story.
Well, I said it doesn't surprise me... doesn't mean I the consider that to be an excuse... Not sure why BMW seems to like under-engineering suspension mounting points... especially consider they love over-engineering everything else...

Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 AM
CutnThrust
4th Gear
More questions:

How do the Ireland and Dinan camber plates differ? Are the Dinan plates available a la carte?
Do either compromise clearance for the addition of a STB . . . as I've read the M7 SRP's might?

Old 12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CutnThrust
More questions:

How do the Ireland and Dinan camber plates differ? Are the Dinan plates available a la carte?
Do either compromise clearance for the addition of a STB . . . as I've read the M7 SRP's might?
Well, the M7 SRPs will prevent using a strut-tower brace, but the M7 strut brace basically has a strut-reinforcement plate at each end, so you wouldn't need both the plates and the brace. I have their SRPs right now, but when I change autocross classes and am allowed to run a STB, I'll just remove the SRPs, sell them, and replace them with the tower brace.

Scott

Old 12-04-2006, 10:05 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Let's assume that the greatest number of votes from 17" with runflats are stock Slites and runflats? Do you suppose that having nearly 50lbs of inertia combined with extra stiff runflats are the culprit? Now combine this with a lowering springs of which 99% of use do not include strut upgrade. Now you have a overly compliant suspension with little travel plus exessive mass pounding the livin crap out of the strut towers due to constant bottoming of the struts...

Old 12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
CutnThrust
4th Gear
As I'm not interested in 16" rims, I have wondered whether lighter wheels would make more of a difference than small rims, assuming of course the tires are not runflats.

?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Let's assume that the greatest number of votes from 17" with runflats are stock Slites and runflats? Do you suppose that having nearly 50lbs of inertia combined with extra stiff runflats are the culprit? Now combine this with a lowering springs of which 99% of use do not include strut upgrade. Now you have a overly compliant suspension with little travel plus exessive mass pounding the livin crap out of the strut towers due to constant bottoming of the struts...
True, and so now let's assume BMW knew this and should've re-evaluated the original design.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Question for those of you with minor strut tower mushrooming...

After inspecting my car, I found that the towers have a little bit of mushrooming, more so on the passenger side. I'm looking at getting the M7 SRPs. I'll have to straighten the towers before installing these, right? What exactly is the procedure for straightening the strut tower? Will I have to remove the struts? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
My right side tower had minor mushrooming. You might be able to install the brace without doing anything to the top of the tower if you can get the nut to screw down a few threads without resistance. I had to bang mine down just a bit to get the nuts started and down a few threads. Then I tightened them down slowly, alternating between the three until they were tight (don't use too much force). I could feel the top of the tower move as I tightened down the nuts.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See, this is what bothers me. I'm going to try the "non-destructive" method. Since the strut assembly must be off, as I press the tower back down, do you all think that I will be able to line up the bolts on the strut plate to the holes in the tower? Or, is it possible that it could stretch the metal, thus throwing the holes out of alignment?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
I bet if you talked (on the side) with most of the service techs at the higher volume MINI dealerships, they'd agree the strut tower mushrooming problem sure seems like something that shouldn't be happening from a top name manufacturer.

I experienced mushrooming on my brand new GP on the driver's side while driving it back from Laguna Seca on MTTS. The combined weight of the GP wheels and tires is 41 pounds (the last time I weighed it) which is not super light but also not as heavy as many combos either.

I took my GP to an experienced shop (in other words, they've worked on a lot of track and race cars) and had them use the "block of wood and a hammer" to get the top surface reasonably flat again (on my new GP).

My '05 MCS with over 26,000 miles, both sides totally flat, no mushrooming, go figure.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Did you have to raise the Mini off the ground before banging the strut towers back down?

Considering the price of the SRPs and the amount of potholes here in Alaska...I'm getting a set ASAP before my car gets damaged any more. I've never had a car that had strut tower mushrooming problems. Hopefully this is the only problem I'll have w/ my beloved Mini. *knock on wood* hehe

My right side tower had minor mushrooming. You might be able to install the brace without doing anything to the top of the tower if you can get the nut to screw down a few threads without resistance. I had to bang mine down just a bit to get the nuts started and down a few threads. Then I tightened them down slowly, alternating between the three until they were tight (don't use too much force). I could feel the top of the tower move as I tightened down the nuts.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't have to remove the struts. Just jack up the car so that the tire is off the ground, and then use a hammer and a block of wood to flatten out the affected strut tower. I had to do this on my wife's cabrio - after only 6,000 miles and no hard pothole hits, the M7 SRP wouldn't even fit over the bolts on the passenger side. Just to be safe, I put a pair on my cabrio the day I brought it home from the dealership.

Scott

Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Question for those of you with minor strut tower mushrooming...

After inspecting my car, I found that the towers have a little bit of mushrooming, more so on the passenger side. I'm looking at getting the M7 SRPs. I'll have to straighten the towers before installing these, right? What exactly is the procedure for straightening the strut tower? Will I have to remove the struts? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 AM
johnnymg
2nd Gear
Has anyone heard if the 07 mini has been beefed-up in this strut tower area?

Thanks
JohnG

Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnnymg
Has anyone heard if the 07 mini has been beefed-up in this strut tower area?

Thanks
JohnG
It (the R56 MINI) hasn't even hit the dealers yet. I doubt that reinforced strut tower sheetmetal will make it into a fetures/technical specification power point briefing/dealer sales staff training document.

Quick Reply: Poll: Mushrooming/strut mount failure data collection