Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rattle : Supercharger / water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
02scooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI. I sent my SC out to get rebuilt (had a little over 100K on it). The shop said the internal seals are fine meaning the lube was not being sucked through the SC rotors. Rather, the loss of gear lube was due to the seal between the SC casing and water pump failing over time.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The O-ring(s) are #2. The one off the Water Pump is the important one.
The other one is inbetween the plate and the block, I saw residue, so I changed this one as well.

The Gasket is #2, it is green...
FYI, since im already explaining pictures... There are 2 #4 bolts, and they are torqued to 25Nm Bolts #3 and #5 are both torqued to 45Nm

#19 is the other gasket...its black. inbetween the SC and the intercooler horn.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT

The O-ring(s) are #2. The one off the Water Pump is the important one.
The other one is inbetween the plate and the block, I saw residue, so I changed this one as well.

The Gasket is #2, it is green...
FYI, since im already explaining pictures... There are 2 #4 bolts, and they are torqued to 25Nm Bolts #3 and #5 are both torqued to 45Nm

#19 is the other gasket...its black. inbetween the SC and the intercooler horn.
Because of this problem I am out of retirement and since I have no Mini, Sushi's has served well for me to play on

Better listen to the man, his third time was the charm or was it four? Oh well that was a fun day... We did this, four times that day counting Strider's car so if anyone's need's pic's, we've got 'em

Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here’s a twist on the SC noise issue, there was an expansion tank spew that precipitated concern followed the next day by a cold start cyclic screeching sound from under the hood. I pulled the SC and discovered lots of black rubber bits from the water pump’s shaft seal on both key drives. The SC had the same amount of fluid in both gear reservoirs I put in 23k miles ago. The 17-month-old, 23k mile, JCW pulley spun, water pump’s drive, had a jerky stiff resistance when turned. In contrast, my spare high mileage 19 & 15% driven water pump was free spinning and smooth. After installing the well used water pump there was an absence of noise I wasn’t aware I had become accustomed to.

I split the water pump housing but it will require a bearing puller to look further than the impeller. There were a few blades not glued to the outer disc but that would not have caused the noise; the two plastic halves snapped apart easily and I imagine it would have only been a matter of time before the impeller separated on its own.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
hwboi
1st Gear
I think I've been having a noise similar to this one recently, but when I'm in the car it seems to come from the drivers side. Also, I only hear it on a cold start when it's around 30F. Once the car starts warming up past the first tick mark, the sound goes away. Do you guys have any suggestions what I other things I can check (idler, etc) first to see if it's the culprit?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does the noise occur when you push the clutch pedal in?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM
hwboi
1st Gear
I'll have to double-check on that. Although I seem to remember that when I press the clutch, the idle is quieter in general (less knocking sound, even when it's the normal sounding idle)

I came across some threads in the 2nd gen forum where they talk about cold start chatter:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-chatter.html

This seems to be similar to what I have, but mine is a 03 MCS so it may not be exactly relevant.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
You might want to do a search on rattling dual mass flywheels. I remember reading some threads about that a while back...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
stinkerbell
1st Gear
Wife's 05 mcs overheated this morning so she brought it home and I noticed a loud rattle at idle. I am going back outside to see if it is the SC .

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM
newbs49
Banned
02SCOOPER
Who'd you send the supercharger too?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are three or four companies

but Steigemeyer (I never spell it right) seems to have water pump gears to rebuild failed units as well....)

Matt

Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S/C Warranty (California)

Originally Posted by Jon@TheMshop
Does anyone know if superchargers are covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty?
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
it's not an emmisions system like a cat, it's more like a camshaft.

Matt
FYI...

For California registered Minis, the Supercharger is covered by the "California Emission Control System Limited Warranty" for 7 years or 70,000 miles. From p.40 of the "Service & Warranty" booklet, the Parts List consists of...

- Intake manifold
- Engine Control Module (ECM)
- Supercharger
- Fuel tank
- Exhaust manifold with Catalytic converter
- Transmission Control Module (TCM)
- Knock sensors.

So for you Cali-Mini people, remember to fry your S/Cs at 65k!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I wonder if this applies to MINIs that were previously registered in CA? (like mine)

Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Samtrak
4th Gear
what about if you have a straight through exhaust? hehe

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I wonder if this applies to MINIs that were previously registered in CA? (like mine)
It must be "original/first" registration and currently registered in CA for the warranty to be valid.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this seems to be rare on the 05-06 models. it seems about 90% of the people reporting early failure are 02-04 owners. What was the design change between 04 and 05 that is mentioned in the MotoringFile buyers guide? Is it just the JCW unit on the newer cars? if so what are the real differences between the 2?

Thank you

Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ksminiman
this seems to be rare on the 05-06 models. it seems about 90% of the people reporting early failure are 02-04 owners. What was the design change between 04 and 05 that is mentioned in the MotoringFile buyers guide? Is it just the JCW unit on the newer cars? if so what are the real differences between the 2?

Thank you
If that's true, I'd like to know as well. Unable to check and drain/refill lubricant is not a good idea no matter how good a design the S/C is.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
CarGuyNeil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ksminiman

Thank you
Or maybe it's because the '05-'06 MINI's don't have the mileage yet. My '03 didn't go until 119k. I'd like the hear from high mileage '05/'06 owners out there before I assume it's related to the JCW supercharger used on the later models. BTW, my replacement was the newer design so I'd love to hear it'll last longer than the first one, but I have my doubts.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i half way agree with the mileage idea. I have seen many an 05-06 with well into the 80k+ range but not heard or read many claims of issue. It could simply be that better seals/sealants were used on the newer units. I am under the impression that the only real difference is the coatings on the rotors themselves that make the supercharger itself last longer. any type of cooling should help as high temp = high expansion allowing the fluid to leak in small amounts. I'm wondering if maybe a slightly thicker lube might be in order to prevent the wateryness (i know i just made it up) of the oil at higher temperatures which creates greater tendency to leak. though 75w-90 is some pretty thick stuff i wonder if it wouldnt be worth trying something a little thicker but synthetic to make sure of uniformity. I havent dipped into the true realm of engineering lubricants yet so this is just a slightly educated guess. anyone with a well educated reason why this is absolutely not a good idea please speak up. I would like to be educated on the reasoning behind not trying a heavier weight or maybe something with a special addative.

I know that eaton designs their superchargers very carefully however the mini supercharger is kind of a red headed step child when it comes to the normal units they make. so that being said maybe they didnt quite get it right. just thinking out loud.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
SuperchargerTech
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We now sell a replacement gear kit for the MINI supercharger. As far as
I know we are the only rebuilder that replaces the water pump drive gears/
PTO gears. We sell a kit which comes with the rear plate (rebuilt with new bearing,seal, and 43 tooth gear, all installed on shaft), 24 tooth gear, shaft seal,needle bearing,sealant,oil,etc.

The cause of the gears failing is the oil leaking from the rear gear box. The
cause of the leak is up for debate. From our observations the cause seems
to be the sealant between the main housing and the rear plate. When we
get the superchargers in for rebuilding the seals seam to be in good shape
(though this could be the cause for some unit's leaks). Once out of oil
the gears last from days to weeks. Once they are making noise there is
little time left before total failure - which remember that your water pump
will stop turning - overheating the motor (then blown head gaskets, etc.).
The supercharger will continue to operate when the gears fail, only the
water pump will be effected.

Of course we also do the entire supercharger w/ water pump drive gears
replacement. The supercharger comes with a 2 year- unlimited miles warranty.

Gear replacement kit $325.00

Supercharger rebuild w/gear replacement $550.00

Charles Judy
Supercharger technologies
352-542-0147 Fax:352-542-9468
supercharger@excite.com
www.superchargertech.com

The following users liked this post:
sthall1 (12-20-2017)
Old 05-12-2009, 11:15 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Question to SuperChargerTech: Is the average DIYer able to remove the geared PTO end without the need for any special tools? Is the PTO end a closed space in which you place the lubricant during rebuilding, or can the lubricant only be installed after the PTO is reattached to the S/C? TIA.

Last edited by JAB 67; 05-13-2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Do you guys buy used superchargers? I have one that needs the gear & pulley. What do used superchargers go for anyway? It may be worth buying the kit and fixing it to sell.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM
minicati
1st Gear
Hello, finally i took off my s/c for inspection. Before I do furthur some questions to ask.
AZblackOUT (got below photos from your post, thanks) or vbmenu_register("postmenu_2580043", true)anyone with experinece disassembled s/c and inspected gear, confirm on questions with (?) below. And is there any thing to aware when removing plates?
thanks.

water pump side(?) plate off, no gasket(?)

pully side(?) plate off, no gasket(?)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
No gaskets?

So does it use HT silicone sealant?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
use an anaerobic sealer, just a thin coat will do it.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...et_Maker_b.htm

Quick Reply: Rattle : Supercharger / water pump