Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rattle : Supercharger / water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:48 PM
LakeHelen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced my 2003 SC, started with a slight rattle, then loud rattle then overheated. Found a used 2003 SC, dealer replaced for $735.00 labor.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 AM
bracky
1st Gear
My wifes 06 is experiencing this exact rattle with only 4,000 miles on it. I came looking on this forum and bam I see a thread about it on the first page. I am making an appointment to have a few other issues looked at and am going to mention this. I'm hoping they don't try to tell me it's a normal noise because it doesn't sound very good.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 AM
carbonized
3rd Gear
Just found this thread thru search. My SC has been making noise for a long time. Dealer said it was normal at time of 2nd service, , and that was before pulleys!! Now at 30 000 miles the noise is getting realy bad!! I still have boost and cooling but from what I hear in the engine bay it will not last . Anybody selling an SC?:impatient

Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
supercharger failures

The people to talk to about this is Stiegemeier in St. Louis. They are experts on Eaton sc and do overhauls and they do mini work.
URL http://stiegemeier.com They also port the sc with a gain of over 15 hp.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
boognish
4th Gear
Is MINI aware of the failing superchargers in 02/03/04 model years (oil loss = loss of gear lubrication = gear points getting sheared off = loss of spin of water pump = overheating condition = warped head...etc!!!!)

And if they are aware, does anyone know if a design change was implemented in the 05 or 06 model years SuperChargers to try to rectify this problem?

For that matter, were there ANY design modifications on the part of the manufacturer in subsequent model years, or is the 2002 supercharger pretty much exactly the same unit as the ones found on a 2006?

Thanks and rock on,

-boognish

Old 05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
carbonized
3rd Gear
Ozarkroots you rock! this migth save my car (I just emailed them)I was freaking out here, with no other options than the dealer vaseline treatment! How come these guys didn't come up earlyer? How did you find them? and their prices are very reasonable too Even if it doesn't pan out for me, its a good adress to know for lots of us ! Thank you.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Hope my 03MCS supercharger makes is 100k+... If I remember correctly a local mini tuner/mechanic said that he could probably locate superchargers for around $800 or so, most likely used.

Here is a place that offers rebuilt superchargers.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...cooper_rebuild

Old 05-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about pulling the plugs and checking the lube level? The rear one is a pain, but a lot less than a new or rblt SC? Just a suggestion.

YD

Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
carbonized
3rd Gear
superchargeronline's fine print are a bit . $200 bucks charged over the rebuit price, credited, not refunded , IF not damaged .Like: I want to replace my intact SC for a rebuilt just for giggles ??

Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
carbonized
3rd Gear
YD
Check SC lube?
I would, as I do religiously all other fluids in my car, if:
#1: BMW/Mini told me to do so, as any other fluid.
#2: BMW/Mini provided a quick/ simple way to do it for the average person without the skill and tools needed to take alf the car apart
#3: BMW/ told me WHEN to do it, witch from reading this thread could be from 4000miles to 30000 to 119000 , follow my drift???

Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
I totally agree with you. The SC lube is important and if it fails, it causes expensive damage... there should be an easy way to check it. I wrote a thread last year about pulling the SC, drilling and installing accessable plugs with stainless tubes for draining and filling. It was met with less than support on this forum. I still plan on doing that mod if my MINI doesn't self destruct for some other reason before then.

Good luck

YD

Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Recall that I raised this issue with MINI/USA regarding the SC on my 2004 MCS. They said that the SC has 'lifetime' lubrication and there is no way to inspect it or add lubricant to it. Basically, when it fails simply remove and replace it.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Lifetime to BMW is warranty period. There is a way. There are plugs at each end of the SC. The front you can see and get to. The rear requires that you remove the water pump. This is why I am trying to figure out how to install a fitting and tube to drain and refill the rearend gear set more easily.

This is just like lifetime greased ball joints, tie rod ends, and universal joints on rear drive cars with no way to lube them. Lifetime means they live as long as they live and then they are dead. When is the last time you saw a zerk fitting on a lube point? Preventive maintenance on consumer goods is gone.

YD

Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 AM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
Stiegemeier Connection ( Carbonized)

I was looking for someone who did sc porting after finding out that cosworth included it in their stage engine package and Stiegemeier came up on an internet search. They are a legend in the Mustang community. I hope they can help you.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:55 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
BMW electric waterpump from 3-series, for those who prefer an M62/turbo only style solution using only factory parts:
Name:  BMWL6electricwaterpump.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  52.7 KB
Probably a better idea than trying to adapt a drag racing electric waterpump intended for intermittent use.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM
carbonized
3rd Gear
ozarkroots
thanks for the info. I Emailed them and they do, in fact, a lot of mini M45 but Bob didn't seam to be aware of the water pump gear problem. He asked me where my info came frome so I sent him the link to this thread. I hope he looks into it and comes up with a fix. Mean time I'm still looking for an SC so I can send it to him and get it rebuilt and ported as his price is very resonable and his work looks top notch! I'll keep my fingers cossed

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BFG9000
BMW electric waterpump from 3-series, for those who prefer an M62/turbo only style solution using only factory parts:

Probably a better idea than trying to adapt a drag racing electric waterpump intended for intermittent use.
BFG, do you know what year 3-series this is from? I am going to do an electric conversion and would like to look into this option. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Partsman,

This is the for the E90 with N52 engines

RMFD WATER PUMP
111517546994 $329.22
ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH--SET OF ALU. SCREWS WATER PUMP
111510392553 $3.18
ATTENTION!
ALUMINUM SCREWS MAY ONLY BE USED ONCE.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, REFER TO THE
REPAIR MANUAL!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
Partsman,

This is the for the E90 with N52 engines

RMFD WATER PUMP
111517546994 $329.22
ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH--SET OF ALU. SCREWS WATER PUMP
111510392553 $3.18
ATTENTION!
ALUMINUM SCREWS MAY ONLY BE USED ONCE.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, REFER TO THE
REPAIR MANUAL!
Thanks, funny that you should post this exact illustration. I was just looking on realoem, and I just happened to pick out an 12/05 E90 just to see what it used for a water pump, and this is exactly what I found. I had no idea which 3 series used an electric pump, I was just guessing.
I know I can get it a little cheaper than $329, but probably not cheaper than $240 for the CSR.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Well, we know this "can" be done as with the M62 kits and now the new Mini has an electric pump. Would it be as simple as adding a block-off plate in place of the old pump, adding a fitting and connecting the pump? Brackets would need to be fitted but my question is when the pump switches on and off. What type of temp switch would be used? I think I remembere there is a control box on the M62 kit that can be adjusted allowing the pump to continue running after shutdown for a few min. Anyone know of such a box?
I am very interested in this and you would think one of the venders would come up with a conversion "kit" (block-off plate, gasket, fittings, pump, bracket, hose, and "computer"). Heck even if you didn't have a water pump gear failure, wouldn't there be less drag=more hp (not much I'm sure). It would use more power (elec) but cooling benefits would be great after shutdown.

Edit: found some cool info;
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=56
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=47
Frodo

Last edited by Frodo; 05-24-2007 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Found info
Old 06-16-2007, 02:53 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I received some conflicting information on the fluid capacity for our Eaton M45; the most extreme answer came from Eaton’s performance division which told me it required 8 oz. in each end. Eaton also recommended checking the nose gear’s fluid level at every oil change and frequent fluid changes; ok for the nose gear but the water pump drive gear case plug is not easy to access as has been mentioned before. I talked to someone that modifies Eaton M45s and measures the amount of fluid that comes in the SCs from the factory and compared that to what will actually fit when the unit is at exact level horizontally and came up with a compromise of sorts; 2 oz in the water pump drive side and 6 oz in the nose gear case. Two of these bottles will do the job. Avoid getting this oil on your hands (wash hands immediately if they come in contact) and don’t rub your eyes or touch lips (beverage bottle caps included) with this oil on your fingers, use latex gloves when handling; this is not an average lube.

Both ends can be drained with a hose equipped bulb baster or a fuel additive syringe (the water pump side can be accessed while on the vehicle, no need to remove the water pump) but for filling the trick would be to get the SC on an even plane to be sure of optimum fluid level. With the SC out of the vehicle it is easier to get a complete evacuation and add a little extra lube for good measure.

The nose gear takes an extra step; after the first pour out, stand it on end to allow a complete drain from the nose then tilt it again.

BTW, the SC fluid is clear when new. I don’t know if it’s evident from this photo but the nose gear oil was much darker than the water pump drive side (30,000 miles on this SC/19% pulley). I would say life might be harder for the nose gears so Eaton’s recommendation for frequent changes might be a good idea. The reservoir plugs require a 3/16ths allen and have O-rings so don’t over-tighten them; Eaton says 8 ft-lb.

Last edited by k-huevo; 12-26-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: increase fluid capacity
Old 06-16-2007, 01:16 PM
guidmini
3rd Gear
just repl a sc @ work

Just got done replacing one this week. Under Warranty. 04 with 41k on it. It was noisy.When I had it on the bench and tried to spin the shaft it felt crunching hung up when spinning it. Then it freed up and spun smoothly then another 180 degree rotation happened again.

I am a Certified Mini Tech. This is my 1st one I replaced. I see you did a nice clean job on yours. Is that SC oil a snthetic blend. Never saw it before. I wonder if Redline or royal purple can supply a similar blend.

Good Luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:54 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've replaced a few of them over the years for various noises, never took one apart to investigate until I found one that was out of warranty due to mileage/and bad Webb pulley install by a local hack shop(they cut into the shaft of the SC when getting the old pulley off). I can verify that the oil is about the smelliest stuff I have ever come in contact with. I do remember at school for the MINI that the instructor said that the oil was lifetime, toxic and not offered for resale. I have a car in the shop rebuilding the engine and think that now would be the perfect time for replacing the fluid in the SC....

Thanks for the Part numbers!

Chad

Old 06-16-2007, 08:31 PM
kapps
6th Gear
guidmini, the oil is special Eaton oil. I'm not sure I'd trust a replacement, even if it was from Redline. Ford sells the oil for it's supercharged models at their dealerships. This is Eaton oil. For some reason, MINI decided the oil is lifetime while Ford has it as a maintenance item (probably because it's accessible on Fords).

Old 06-16-2007, 10:17 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chadtoolio
I've replaced a few of them over the years for various noises, never took one apart to investigate until I found one that was out of warranty due to mileage/and bad Webb pulley install by a local hack shop(they cut into the shaft of the SC when getting the old pulley off). I can verify that the oil is about the smelliest stuff I have ever come in contact with. I do remember at school for the MINI that the instructor said that the oil was lifetime, toxic and not offered for resale. I have a car in the shop rebuilding the engine and think that now would be the perfect time for replacing the fluid in the SC....

Thanks for the Part numbers!

Chad
I remember seeing that supercharger. we talked about it for a while, but mostly cause of that bad pulley install.

this all makes me worry about my sc. guess i'll be stopping by to pick your brain chad.

Quick Reply: Rattle : Supercharger / water pump