Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What kind of Transmission fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:40 AM
biz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of Transmission fluid??

After having read about all thes CVT failures I want to get my Transmission fluid changed. What kind do we need? Also, this may be a stoopid question but is a filter needed? I love my 03 mini but it has 55k miles on it and I dont know how well it was maintained in the past.
thanx guys.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:47 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by biz
After having read about all thes CVT failures I want to get my Transmission fluid changed. What kind do we need? Also, this may be a stoopid question but is a filter needed? I love my 03 mini but it has 55k miles on it and I dont know how well it was maintained in the past.
thanx guys.
CVTs require a special transmission fluid. You need to purchase the fluid from the dealer. Regarding its maintenance history, didn't you get copies of the maintenance records from the seller? If not, can you still contact the seller to find out where the car was maintained?

Old 07-15-2006, 03:09 PM
biz
2nd Gear
transmission fluid

nope, bought it off an acura lot. No info on prev owner. Flo Mini told me it had warrenty work in nj in 05 and an oil change in 04. Thats all I know.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:14 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by biz
nope, bought it off an acura lot. No info on prev owner. Flo Mini told me it had warrenty work in nj in 05 and an oil change in 04. Thats all I know.
In that case, you should definitely get the transmission fluid changed. If memory serves, the factory maintenance schedule calls for a transmission fluid change at ~36,000 miles.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM
strz0001
2nd Gear
You must go to a Mini dealer for the special fluid. It takes 4.5 liters and the changing process isn't just a drop and fill according to the Bentley manual. I had to bring my own container and give the dealer about 70$ for the juice. I recommend doing some research here and on Mini2 prior to tackling this.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:23 PM
biz
2nd Gear
transmission fluid

Yeppers, i wouldnt dream of changing it myself!! im hoping a local garage can do it if I can get the fluid from a mini dealer.
thanx for your help.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:38 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Might be worth biting the bullet and having the MINI dealer do it this time. They are the pros with these cars after all. I am a big time self-mechanic, but with the complex issues like a CVT, I would go to the pros first time around. Especially on a car that you don't know the history well.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:27 AM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
Be warned!!!

After having the transmission fluid changed on my 03MC (CVT) developed a rather loud noise (grinding/groaning noise). Apparently the bearing is gradually wearing down and results in this noise. Sometimes the old fluid (and the small particles in it) masks this noise so the noise becomes noticable after the fluid change. The fix is to replace the bearing. There is a service bulletin on this. I have not done the repair, because at 72,000 miles my car is out of warranty and I am waiting to see if the noise goes away on its own. (And I bought myself a daily driver so I can garage the MINI for a while).

Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
The juice in question is Esso CVT Fluid EZL 799. I got this info straight off the BMW TIS CD. I don't know if this is something that can be gotten easily, but I'd sure try to locate a cheaper source than the dealer.

As to the procedure.....WHEW!

Dropping the fluid out and replacing it is quite a tedious procedure and it requires (of course) special tools. In this case, a rubber hose with a fitting that screws into the side of the transmission. The fluid is supposed to be pumped in, then a valve closed (to prevent the soon to be pressurized fluid from escaping). Then there is an elaborate procedure for basically bleeding the transmission then rechecking the fluid level. If you try it, MAKE SURE TO REINSTALL ALL THE LUG BOLTS AND RETORQUE THEM before running the car while it is up on jack stands!

As to the screen/filter....

Yes, there is one! It even appears to be a fairly standard transmission screen. Removing and replacing it involves a significant amount of parts to be removed from the car. Here are some highlights:
Remove bumper cover
Remove bumper "carrier" (big aluminum part under the cover, in other words the actual bumper)
Remove the bumper crush tubes.
Drop the subframe. (The TIS CD isn't clear on whether they mean to remove it, or just loosen it and drop it down) Dropping this subframe is a pretty involved process within itself.

Now, you can drop the pan and change the screen. There are several cautions about how the screen is to be oriented.

Now, you get to reinstall all the parts, then fill and bleed the transmission. (Bleeding is my term, not BMW/MINI's, but after reading the procedure...that's what you're doing)

Finally, you're supposed to "reset adaption values" whatever that means.

Changing oil and transmission fluid is a good idea in my opinion. I advocate doing it much more than the factory does, but that topic has been debated until that horse's corpse is completely pulverized.

If I was going to do this job, I'd set aside at least whole day to do it. It's a long ways from easy....

Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing!

Rawhyde

Old 11-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it is relavent to my needs. I need to change the CVT fluid in my 04 R50. I do have another thread going asking if anybody can help me source the CVT fluid, either Mini brand in less than 20 liter containers, or another brand that is the functional equivalent (any ideas?).

I need to change the fluid myself. I have my car just about down to the steps listed above for other work. I am hour and hundreds of miles from a Mini dealer and there isn't a shop in my town that has experience with the Mini CVT. I have the Bently manual.

Long story short; I need to do this.

Can anybody who has done this give me any pointers, precautions, or info on what you can't do at home and need to have a "professional" do, like maybe 'flash the ECU' or whatever else may need reseting or whatnot?

Any tips on where the heck I can get the CVT fluid by the liter?

D