Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spontaneous engine bay fires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan 05 build date

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I think you're correct. Only other post on an '05 (#95) describes a completely different sort of failure, much more catastrophic and likely not the same root cause.

It would be interesting to know rockymt98's build date. Could be that if it's early in the model year, it might have been manufactured prior to institution of the redesigned PS pump fan and wiring harness.

My '05 Justa (05/05) has the redesigned fan.
I'll verify it when I go out to the parking lot but I think it's a Jan 05 build date on my MCS....

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rockymt98
Update

Finally got some resolution from MINI USA. The second call I made to MINI roadside assistance got my car towed. It's at the dealer in Peabody.
I had suspected it was the PS pump. It turns out it was a shorted PS pump. It burned the harness, connectors and supposedly ruined the battery. Total damage so far $1,400.00.....

The grand total was $1700.00. It was the connector on the harness to the PS pump. It would have burned a lot owrse if the battery hadn't died in the process....

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rockymt98
I'll verify it when I go out to the parking lot but I think it's a Jan 05 build date on my MCS....
Actually I must correct my earlier statement...I had assumed that I had the redesigned fan on my 05/05 build because a quick inspection had revealed the grill work over the fan, just like the new one shown by K-huevo earlier in this thread.

As it turns out, MINI seems to have released a third, intermediate replacement part that looks like the new fan from the lower view but has the same electronics as the original.

I posted pics of my somewhat annoying discovery in another thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2702414

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I've already acquired the new fan assembly and it's sitting on my bench awaiting install.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
What's the new PS Fan's p/n?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
What's the new PS Fan's p/n?
Here's how they're all listed in RealOEM for historical purposes:

Description........................ Up to:..........P/N....................Notes
Fan with protecting grille...... 07/2006...... 32416774702...... ENDED
Fan with protecting grille...... 05/2007...... 32416777632...... ENDED
Fan with protecting grille........................ 32416781742

Ergo, the part number you want is the last one on this list.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Another Burn Victim

I can't believe how widespread a problem this is... and I think I'm done with the MINI. Fun is fun, but spontaneous combustion is too much.

Last edited by BearX220; 04-26-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Fire Extinguisher Recommendation

Originally Posted by cphilip
Well I can say this... the rear cup holder (the one just behind the arm rest) is a perfect fit and very good place to put one of these. I just got the one for the MCS today and was sort of searching for a place to mount it when the thought struck me. And so I took it off its mounting bracket and PRESTO! Fit and looks good too.

This one

This one I obtained from Summit but here is the specs on it. Good computer safe, residue free one. Comes in Red or Chrome but Chrome looks good in the cabin.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg100c.htm

I know this is worthless without pictures but it was too dark to take a good one. I'll get one up tomorrow for ya. Looks great really.

By the way... most sellers of this one list it as 1 pound of ingredient. The manufacturer says it is a 1.4 pounds.
FWIW, may I suggest that, although this extinguisher fits the rear holder and is convenient, please consider that a fire extinguisher this size is of marginal help in an emergency. A 2-1/2 lb. HALON or HALOTRON is the smallest size that will be effective in case of a fire...IF it's caught in the early stages. Check with Brey-Krause to get a proper under-the seat mounting bracket. If NE1 is interested, I'll be glad to post a pic of my installation.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 PM
cphilip
2nd Gear
Well now realize I thought of all that. And let me set that part of the record straight.

I studied that issue for a while and cannot come up with any real support for that sort of concept that a certain amount of pounds is the total key to the whole living with the solution daily.

It seems to be a lot more about how big of a fire your dealing with, how fast you can get to the fire and then how long the discharge rate is of the Extinguisher.

For instance their 2.5 pounders happen to have the same length discharge as the 1.4 does. About 10-12 seconds each the manufacturer says. Just delivering a proportion less amount of the Ingredient is the difference between those two units.

And of course at some point NO fire extinguisher is big enough. It's all a gamble and a risk asessment balanced with the "living with it" factor. It had nothing to do with it fitting in the cup holder. That was simply an accidental discovery as I was crawling around back there trying to test fit the bracket that comes with it in various places and I just needed a place to sit it while doing so... and I dropped it in there and discovered it fit nicely. Has nothing to do with sizing the unit. My intent was to find a temporary place for it until I did the rear seat delete (which I am doing now) that was not going to leave any holes and such. I will simply bolt the bracket to the rear seat delete pan once I get that done (this weekend I hope)

What I ended up doing was putting the biggest unit that would fit easily in each vehicle. The two 1.4's went in the Mini and the SLK which are both space challenged. And a 2.5 into the E320 (I bought this first to test fit each vehicle and found it too big for the little un's and taking up too much space so thats when I went back and studied the discharge rates and real specs on it from the manufactuer) which had plenty of space and a 5 pound in the F350 (and it also got a 5 pound ABC powder unit in that truck as well for general non vehicle type fires). These are not race cars or track cars either. But it was a compromise. Admittedly.

Its all a gamble. If the little cars can't be gotten to quickly and the fire is too big by the time its gotten to then yea... but the fire I experienced in the 300D could have, when I got to it, been put out easily with half the 1.4 had to give. Its just something you have to live with every day is a choice of what you can carry, how fast you can deal with it and hopefully never do have too.

Truth be known, could I live with it, I would put a 20 pounder in there! But ya gotta live with it...

Last edited by cphilip; 04-02-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by BearX220
The good news I found this thread, so I know I have plenty of company. The bad news is, it happened to me -- today.

2003 MINI Cooper, 60,500 miles. Nearly six years of driving life, on its second battery. Drove the car to work this morning without incident and parked on the top deck of an in-down parking structure. Five minutes after I got to my desk my phone rang; it was the garage manager saying, you better get down here.

Acrid black smoke billowing out from under the hood, self-extinguished just as I got there (and Seattle FD guys were about to crowbar the hood open). Car smells terrible. Tow to my mechanic, and they quickly discover the electrical connection from the engine wiring harness to the power steering pump is melted. Estimate is $1,600, but I'll update with final costs.

I can't believe how widespread a problem this is... and I think I'm done with the MINI. Fun is fun, but spontaneous combustion is too much.
Sorry to hear about your incident BearX. Glad the firemen didn't destroy the MINI trying to put it out.

By my count, you are Incident #39 in this self-combustion thread.

(for some reason, the OP seems to have lost the ability to edit his first post in about mid-2008 and keep adding to the list...conspiracy theories, anyone?)

FWIW, you're likely to get the updated wiring harness (and whatever other parts are necessary) when they do the repairs. This is likely to make you fairly immune to a repeat incident. I know your attitude has soured of late, and rightfully so, but maybe there's a silver lining in here somewhere...

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 AM
BearX220
3rd Gear
It is incredible how clear the pattern is: '02/'03 Coopers with upwards of 50k miles, all burning as a result of shorts to the fan or PS pump. The only reason there hasn't been a recall is that nobody's been killed yet -- that we know of anyway. I agree it is shameful how MINI USA has played dumb, stuck its head in the sand, etc. over this egregious product defect.

Last edited by BearX220; 04-26-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Is there a consensus of opinion as to what might be done to minimize the risk of this happening? Is it an internal short in the PS pump? Is it at the electrical connector to the pump or in the harness? Or is the culprit the old style PS Pump fan? Possibly all three? If it can be localized, then we can take some action to protect ourselves. I hate being a potential victim!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Gil-galad
TR, I don't think there is a clear consensus, even though there are several likely suspects.

Here's some of what we do know:

1. The NHTSB closed an investigation on this matter in August 2008. (Report Link) In many people's opinions, the NHTSB investigation is superficial and its conclusions somewhat flawed (basing closure on lack of evidence of loss of steering control, rather than fire danger). There does seem to be some credibility in the contributory root causes which were supposedly addressed by new electrical parts in the production line after March 2003, but since '03 and '04 MINIs produced after this date seem suceptible too, one wonders. The "BMW Position" section really makes my blood boil (they claim NO relationship to reported fires) but the NHTSB seems to have drunk the kool-aide and bought their position--probably to avoid devoting resources to some actual investigative work of their own.

2. The EHPS pump in all 1st Gen MINIs is subject to premature failure. The electronics circuitry internal to the pump seems highly susceptible. The MINI2 blog on this has a lot of fantastic reference material in it. (MINI2 Link) There is discussion about failed pumps drawing over-current from constant running and melting wires, but it's not conclusive.

3. The EHPS pump cooling fan has undergone at least two redesigns, with the most recent design clearly incorporating electrical components that were not present in the earlier versions of the part. There are good pics earlier in this thread.

Based on all of the available information, here's the strategy I've adopted:

1. I replaced the fan with the latest version of the part (a bit pricey and perhaps not necessary, but I did it anyway).

2. I did some sealing of the electrical connections in and around the EHPS pump and regularly inspect the connections and wires for signs of chafing and corrosion.

3. I pay close attention to the PS system -- the response, the sound of the pump, etc. If I ever detect anything that even remotely seems out of the ordinary, I'll get it checked out promptly.

4. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will probably need to replace the EHPS pump at some point. Some people actually remove their pumps, tear them down, clean out all of the brush dust, and recondition them as preventive maintenance. I may consider doing this if I gain enough self-confidence that I can do it and, more importantly, can track down a source for the proper replacement O-ring, brushes, etc. In any event, when I hit 75K on the clock I'm planning on installing a replacement pump. Just because.

I figure if I do all of these things, the odds will be in my favor.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Thanks for the response, Gil-galad. I'm more than just a little familiar with BMW and their "Stonewalling". We held their feet to the fire on the e46 M3 "grenading" engines until they finally took action. Your recommendations make sense. I've ordered a new fan for my wife's '03 and will inspect the electrical connections to it and the pump when I install same. I'm somewhat less concerned about my '05 but will certainly keep an eye and ear out for signs of trouble. Our garage is in the basement (right under our bedroom!), so I installed yet another smoke alarm down there...This one's right over the hood of her car!
BTW, that company that re-builds the pumps...NE1 here had them rebuild theirs? For $200 and shipping, it might be the easiest, safest and quickest solution.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 AM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am on my second power steering pump. My car is an 03 MCS (April build) and currently has 93Kmiles. I've been keeping a close eye on this thread and replaced the PS fan with an updated design as a precaution.

Out of curiosity, I took the old files out and located the power steering pump replacement receipt. It was done on 11/2003 when the car had 12,540 miles, so the pump has around 80Kmiles on it...

The part number for the RMFD PS pump is listed as 32416760567
Looking at the PS part numbers in the following link, it seems like there are number of version of the pump, and the one I have is now discontinued:
http://minifans.info/original/R53/Co...ill-32_1265/#5

Do we have any specific information on the part numbers of the PS pumps that started fires? Probably not...

One thing that I observed as "different" after getting the new PS fan is that after I use the AC (which turns on the PS fan and the cooling fan I think), turning the engine off lights up the dashboard for a split second with the same lights when you start the car. I hope this makes sense; it just happens for a short time when turning the key, and it feels like the engine is shutting off with a one-two second delay, as opposed to an immediate response to the key turn. The same thing happens if the cooling fan is on (after a spirited driving or being stuck in traffic for a long time).

I've never seen this happened like this before with the original PS fan and it doesn't happen as long as the cooling fan and/or PS fan is not running. I assumed this was normal, but I just wanted to ask for opinions

Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
My MCS is a 5/03 build and the PS pump was replaced in 12/08 with 52K. I was told that only the newest PS pump is used now; older versions are not available. I'll pull out the receipt later and look for the part number.

Since the majority of problems are reported by pre-'05 Minis I would expect that the new pump (#963 post 02/05 ) has completely fixed the failure/fire problems. Someone here with an '05 posted about their failure but I don't know the build date.

I just went out and checked and my warning lights do not come on when I shut off the car when the AC is running.

It is interesting to see the difference in the weight of the original pump and the newer iterations; they are amost 2kg (4.4 pounds) heavier than the original.

BearX220, remember, the insurance for the fire damage is comprehensive and you are not charged for using it. I thought about legal action but the car is out of warranty and I don't want to incur the cost--the insurance companies legal division should be litigating for you; they have deeper pockets. When you talk with the adjuster, give him the url of this thread and others.

I would also urge you to follow the lead and advice of an earlier poster and make a claim to the safety board. I did.

Last edited by thecigarman; 04-15-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added comment to BearX220
Old 04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Post deleted by author

Last edited by BearX220; 04-26-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Security
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
When my MINI was repaired I talked to people in State Farms legal division and they were interested in taking action against the extended warranty I had that would not cover "secondary" damage (fire damaged the main harness and so that was not covered). They seemed to be oriented in this way because the failure was when the car was out of waranty. I think that is the problem here, MINI covers under waranty but they have no obligation to extend that beyond the waranty period. (Hey guys, don't flame me I am only giving an opinion, not what is right )

That is why you have insurance, as you know. You or I will not prevail against MINI, but the insurance companies may.

As for our Sibling MINIs--what is your color and build info? Mine is in my sig but yours is secret

Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Post deleted by author

Last edited by BearX220; 04-26-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Security
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
VR/W??

Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thecigarman
VR/W??
Velvet Red/White

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
AH!! Thanks, very nice combo...

Then I am MCS PS/B; learn something new every day.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thecigarman
When my MINI was repaired I talked to people in State Farms legal division and they were interested in taking action against the extended warranty I had that would not cover "secondary" damage (fire damaged the main harness and so that was not covered). They seemed to be oriented in this way because the failure was when the car was out of waranty. I think that is the problem here, MINI covers under waranty but they have no obligation to extend that beyond the waranty period. (Hey guys, don't flame me I am only giving an opinion, not what is right )

That is why you have insurance, as you know. You or I will not prevail against MINI, but the insurance companies may.

As for our Sibling MINIs--what is your color and build info? Mine is in my sig but yours is secret
This is true, however, there is a cost that extends beyond the Mini owner. This is a kind of game, chicken - it's a first pay, last pay. Fire is a BIG problem. What if - your car desides to catch fire in your garage..... Then what?

No flame intended......

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Stevecars60,

No flame taken.

I did not say to ignore it, I filed a compaint with the National Traffic Safey Board and intend to continue to pursue it with MINI; however a suit is not in the cards for me. I have encouraged that my insurance company pursue it.

BTW, if you read the story of my fire, I came home after getting tires and washing the car and a drizzle make me hose the lower part of the car down. It was smoking and I thought that it was the water on the manifold, when actually it was a fire. I pulled the car in the garage and my wife called me later to tell me there was smoke in the garage.

So, my car DID burn in my house. I am happy that it did not come out worse than it did.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 AM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Cigarman, my case was very similar.

Last edited by BearX220; 04-26-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
Sorry in advance for having so little info, as many of you know I live in the UK, I just was told today by a coworker that there was a show on yesterday about the power steering system causing fires on the BMW MINI, He said the show stated that this was obviously a defect and was shown to be by BMW changing the design but failing to admit the fault. It was one of those expose type shows.

Sadly I don't know the name of the show...if I find out any more info I will let you folks know. Maybe it is available online.

Peter

Quick Reply: Spontaneous engine bay fires!