Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a reply back from the dealer and she said they haven't heard of the problem before, but...
"What I will do is, next week our regional rep will be coming by our store and usually when he comes we have discussions about our customers, their ideas and concerns, and we get his feedback and thoughts. I will bring this us once he gets here and then immediately let you know what he thinks!"

She also thought it would be covered under the warranty.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
wseattlemini
2nd Gear
As someone who has worked in body and restoration shops, I wanted to chime in.

The POR solution is an excellent way to go.
However, I would not in any circumstances, try to silicone (or glue) the weather strip to the body. You will most likely end up trapping water, not only destroying the weatherseal the next time you need to pull it out.

We should all remember to dry the jambs and door edge everytime we wash, if you don't already. Those of us who are really into it could dry under the seal too.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Skiploder
Banned
03 DS MCS - 9K miles - never driven in the rain.

Rust.

Two neighbors, one with an MCSC and an 05 MCS - both with rust.

Someone needs to get the word out. Odds are most of our cars have this issue.

At this weekend's SF pulley party, I'll try to see how many people have the same issue.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
03 DS MCS - 9K miles - never driven in the rain.

Rust.

Two neighbors, one with an MCSC and an 05 MCS - both with rust.

Someone needs to get the word out. Odds are most of our cars have this issue.

At this weekend's SF pulley party, I'll try to see how many people have the same issue.
Rust on an 05 is rediculous.......

Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Rust on an 05 is rediculous.......
/sarcasm on/

We've had a wet year..........

*rimshot*

/sarcasm off/

The first words in German you should learn are "Mein auto hat rost darauf."

The second you should learn are "Mein verdrahtendes system hat eine scheiße genommen."

And for what it's worth, rust on an 02 is also ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I too found similar rust, but not so much. It did appear there was a rectabular spot on both sides that weren't painted, like a robotic arm was holding the body during the painting process? I guess I'll add pulling these up and toweling them along with the door jambs. I unfortunately lost some of the plastic covering on the passenger side sill plate. Higher direct water pressure seems to start lifting it, so I try not to rinse so hard anymore.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
herozup
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wseattlemini
As someone who has worked in body and restoration shops, I wanted to chime in.

The POR solution is an excellent way to go.
However, I would not in any circumstances, try to silicone (or glue) the weather strip to the body. You will most likely end up trapping water, not only destroying the weatherseal the next time you need to pull it out.

We should all remember to dry the jambs and door edge everytime we wash, if you don't already. Those of us who are really into it could dry under the seal too.
I have been following this thread since I am waiting for my mine to arrive and want to do all of the preventative maintainence possible. SO... should I get some POR and apply it straight out of the gate or wait until something develops?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked my Nov04 built 2005 MCS, and the underside of the seal was wet, but there was no rust anywhere to be found. I wash my car compulsively, every 3 days on average.

What I did notice was, on my 2005 the entire sill area is painted. In the photos of the 2002, it appears the rusted area is not painted, like it was the area being clamped during the paint process. In my 05, there isn't an unpainted "clamp" section. Since 2005, the rust warranty has been increased to 12 years, unlimited miles, and the entire vehicle is dipped and wax-injected. As someone suggested, some conditions of this warranty are annual inspection and biannual pressure washing of the undercarriage.

I decided to dry the wet seals, then put wax on my sill areas just to be on the safe side. I plan to add lifting and drying out this area to my car washing/drying routine.

Also, when the dealership performs the above-mentioned annual inspection, ensure that they lift those seals and examine that area as well.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Checked mine out tonight, and sure enough, there was a touch of rust. Not much, but starting at the edge of the pinchweld. '03 DS MCS.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:22 AM
wilson1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Checked mine out tonight, and sure enough, there was a touch of rust. Not much, but starting at the edge of the pinchweld.
+1, pass side was wet under the seals
9k miles, 02 MCS

Old 05-24-2006, 03:49 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
/sarcasm on/

We've had a wet year..........

*rimshot*

/sarcasm off/

The first words in German you should learn are "Mein auto hat rost darauf."

The second you should learn are "Mein verdrahtendes system hat eine scheiße genommen."

And for what it's worth, rust on an 02 is also ridiculous.
agreed,...... that was my subtle message......

Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 AM
"Megan"
Neutral
Thanks ever so much for the 'heads up' guys!! Just checked mine which is an 08/02 build and sure enough - rust on the driver's side door near the weld, but also another couple of spots along the top edge. It was also still wet, which is strange as the car hasn't been washed for a few weeks, although it has been raining.

Strange thing is the passenger side door is clear - although very wet under the seal.

Will be telling all the Aussies to check their cars too now. Thanks again - looks like it isn't just confined to the US MINIs :( Will see what my dealer says.

Cheers
Avril...

Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For everyone that see this thread, before you do anything, let's find out what MINI usa is going to do about it, you wouldn't want your rust warranty to voided by an "unauthorized repair or mod".
In the meantime, prevention is the best solution..You should dry off UNDER the rubber seals during your detailing routine.. I am going to check the hatch as well...
And BTW thank you SpiderX for this thread..

Old 05-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Crashnet
Neutral
Originally Posted by okraD La
For everyone that see this thread, before you do anything, let's find out what MINI usa is going to do about it, you wouldn't want your rust warranty to voided by an "unauthorized repair or mod".
In the meantime, prevention is the best solution..You should dry off UNDER the rubber seals during your detailing routine.. I am going to check the hatch as well...
And BTW thank you SpiderX for this thread..
You are correct, according to my Dealer in Sweden "if you have done anything to remove the rust and have done any repainting your self the warranty is voided" Any actions that are made by a Non authorized dealer or paintshop will result in = warranty GONE.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:40 AM
MickyD
1st Gear
just checked mine... no rust that I can see (though it's dark outside - will check tomorrow in daylight), but it was soaking wet under there.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
To me i think the problem is lack of air holes punctured into the weather-strip itself for ventilation. I believe my Accord had several holes along the strip just to dry out the water quickly, and I never had a rust problem with it. (along the seams anyway
Here in Ontario Canada, we use so much salt on our roads that people out of the province are afraid to drive their cars on our roads with fear of catching rust! Luckily there was none found on my '05 mini. But there was definitely moisture along the spot-weld seams when i took the weather-strip off. I think im going to poke some more holes in the rubber...see if that helps.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by paulo500
To me i think the problem is lack of air holes punctured into the weather-strip itself for ventilation. I believe my Accord had several holes along the strip just to dry out the water quickly, and I never had a rust problem with it. (along the seams anyway
Here in Ontario Canada, we use so much salt on our roads that people out of the province are afraid to drive their cars on our roads with fear of catching rust! Luckily there was none found on my '05 mini. But there was definitely moisture along the spot-weld seams when i took the weather-strip off. I think im going to poke some more holes in the rubber...see if that helps.
I would not modify your weather strip at all. It could be used as justification to NOT fix a rust problem if it arises.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
I would not modify your weather strip at all. It could be used as justification to NOT fix a rust problem if it arises.
second that...im waiting to hear what MINIUSA has to say before doing anything.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Checked the hatch and thankfully that seems okay...The rubber seal there is very tight and injected with that white wax..and dry as a bone...

Old 05-24-2006, 08:34 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
Hopefully that white wax is the solution then. Whatever absorbing properties it may have...

Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I just checked mine out and there is some rust forming. It's not on the sides but on top where the two metal sheets meet. There's two or three spots on each side with a few inches between them. I'll take some pics later today or tomorrow. Mine is an early '02 MCS (first shipment to my dealer).

Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 PM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatbear
This might be related somehow. When I took my car in for little warranty issues, one of my complaints was the door sill trim insert (the silver MINI COOPER S) had become frosty/corroded around the edges and the plastic film had begun peeling off. the dealer replaced this and blamed it on the lower door weatherseal (not the soft rubber sealing the interior, rather the 'sweep strip' mounted under the door itself) and supposedly 'adjusted' this piece. I noticed there was less built up water in the area afterwards, but now the passenger's side sill trim is doing the same thing.

I guess I will check out what lies beneath the weatherstrip on my car when I get a chance (10/02 build).
I've seen that on a number of cars, where the aluminum strip gets nasty and the plastic film peels off. I could never figure whether the film was supposed to stay on or be peeled off.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:43 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I think the film was meant to be pulled off as prep work by the dealer. They left it on ours and I've never bothered to pull it off.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The plastic film on one of my door plates started to peel off, so I pulled it most of the rest of the way off... it makes things look worse. I wound up getting a new plate to stick on.

Oh yeah, I've got rust too.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I remember thinking that the plastic should come off....soon as I heard the sound it made I stopped.

Anyways, rubbing alcohol will take that residue right off and make it all look just like new.

Quick Reply: Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs