Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Reverse light out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse light out

on my 02 cooper, a friend noticed that my reverse light was out. i bought a replacement bulb and installed it.

it didn't work.

i guess there's a number of things it could be... short, faulty wiring (same thing as a short i guess), bad switch in the tranny, maybe a fuse?

i doubt it's a fuse because it's the only thing off.

has anyone had this happen and if so, what was the problem? i have an appointment to get this fixed thursday next week, but i'd love to fix it before then if it's something simple.

also, i have the brake-light mod. think that could have anything to do with it? i can't imagine it would but ya never know!

thoughts?

Old 08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
brake light switch

Had a new switch put in my 9/2003 built MCS on warranty this spring.

Dealer said he did not stock them because he had never seen one go out, so I ended up making two trips to the dealer.

I saw another post where some one had the light out also.

On the MCS you can reach the switch through the left wheel well.

John

Old 08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The MINI's reverse light circuitry is about the only thing old-school about the car. Unlike the headlights, brakelights, tailights, side markers, turn signals, foglights and rear fogs that are controlled electronically through the body control module, the reverse light uses a quaint little arrangement where there is a switch in the transmission directly controlling the power to the reverse light. In other words, there is a fuse, the switch and the light which make up all the major elements of the circuit. So, any difficulty would arise from the bulb itself, the switch, the fuse or any part of the associated wiring and connectors.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
ok, so i'm checking the fuse.

also, want to make clear that i am talking about an 02 Cooper. not an MCS.

thanks!
mike

Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The circuitry is essentially the same between the MC and MCS, just a slight difference in the switch I would assume, since the transmissions are different.

Also, things should be similar between the auto and manual, except in the location and type of switches.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:15 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
You say it's a brake light out and not brake lights [plural] ... ?
Seems like the difference between one or two lights out points to entirely different root causes. If only one light is out, then it can't be the switch in the transmission...

-B

Originally Posted by STLMINI
on my 02 cooper, a friend noticed that my reverse light was out. i bought a replacement bulb and installed it.

it didn't work.
...snip...
thoughts?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:26 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
reverse light . the one that's in the center below the bumper. NOT brake light (or lights). on 02s that spot was a reverse light not a fog.

Originally Posted by muy_mini
Seems like the difference between one or two lights out points to entirely different root causes. If only one light is out, then it can't be the switch in the transmission...

-B

Old 08-27-2005, 07:42 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
Sorry, brain fa-fa-fade -- I should have typed REVERSE for the bold and underlined below. On my '05 MCS, I have no center fog or center reverse.
-B

reverse light . the one that's in the center below the bumper. NOT brake light (or lights). on 02s that spot was a reverse light not a fog.
Originally Posted by muy_mini

-B

Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
does anyone know what fuse manages the power to the reverse light on an 02 MC? i've looked at the fuse panel and nothing show's the reverse light.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:13 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump!

I just went to get my state inspection done, and my reverse light is out. They said the bulb is good...

'03 Cooper...

Anyone have any brilliant, do it yourself ideas? I'd like to avoid the three hour trip to the dealer and their labor rates.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
did they test the bulb or did they just look at it? i'd replace the bulb first then start checking other avenues.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:32 AM
snid
6th Gear
I believe the shop tested the bulb. I ok-ed them to replace the bulb, and they came back a few minutes later and said the bulb was good, so the problem was elsewhere. I'll probably buy another bulb myself just because, but I think that there's a problem elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:57 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Check the reverse engagement switch.. My son has a M3 and his switch went bad... A very common problem on BMW's..

it didn't work.

i guess there's a number of things it could be... short, faulty wiring (same thing as a short i guess), bad switch in the tranny, maybe a fuse?

i doubt it's a fuse because it's the only thing off.

has anyone had this happen and if so, what was the problem? i have an appointment to get this fixed thursday next week, but i'd love to fix it before then if it's something simple.

also, i have the brake-light mod. think that could have anything to do with it? i can't imagine it would but ya never know!

thoughts?

Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
My reverse light switch went out. Since the dealer did not stock it, I made TWO trips to get the darn thing fixed.

It is the only light on the car with a "real" switch and it does NOT go through the BC1 computer module.

With the MCS, 6 speed Gertag transmission...

Take off the left front wheel, you can see and reach the reverse light switch, with out getting under the car, but you may have to get your head into the wheel well, so be sure to use a stand under the car.

I don't know where it is on other cars.

John

Old 06-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Crashnet
Neutral
if you have a Midlands gearbox as i did in my 02 MC the switch is under the airfilter box. Remove the airfilter housing with the two screws and you will see the switch directly below. There is a cable on top of the switch, disconnect and unscrew the switch and replce it. It took me in total 20 min, if you are not sure wich gearbox you have then take contact with your dealer and he will order a new switch that fits your gear box.
For :
midlands gearbox:
BACKUP LIGHT SWITCH 23141043489

Getrag:
BACKUP LIGHT SWITCH 23140409754

Old 06-21-2006, 04:38 AM
snid
6th Gear
The reverse light switch was replaced by the dealership. $40 total for parts and labor.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:34 AM
UnMini
2nd Gear
stupid question, how do I change the reverse light in a MCS since there is not a lot of space between the exhaust and all that.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 AM
snid
6th Gear
If you still have your owner's manual, it's in there...

D'oh! Just read the passage from the manual and it says for MCS - "Please contact a MINI Dealer in case of a
malfunction. "

Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by UnMini
stupid question, how do I change the reverse light in a MCS since there is not a lot of space between the exhaust and all that.
You pop the light assembly out of the bumper. You reach up under the bumper and it has a release on the drivers side.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reverse lights not working usually turn out to be the swich going bad(99% from experience)... not sure why parts does not stock them, they should!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reverse light fixed, Out of warrenty DIY

What's required?
Remove driver’s side front wheel, 19MM box end wrench, Brake Clean.

I removed the switch pressed in the plunger and oil pumped out of the switch body.
Oil in the switch body where the contacts are was interfering with electrical contact, tested with Ohm meter.
Pressed in the plunger and sprayed in with Brake Clean a few times while cycling the plunger until no oil was present. Blew out with Hi pressure air. Tested with Ohm meter electrical contact restored.
I have pictures if anyone is interested, need to load some camera software to post.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
reverse lamp switch

Switch and location, easy fix.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse light out-reverse-switch_004.jpg   Reverse light out-reverse-switch_003.jpg   Reverse light out-reverse-switch_002.jpg  
Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My reverse light switch has been broken in my 2002 Cooper 5 speed for quite some time. I finally replaced it today.

The air box removal and replacement was the longest part of the job (took me about an hour including a bunch of trips back and forth to the house for extra tools and cleaning supplies).
I had a few words with the metal clip that holds the airbox hose on, until I figured out the trick to close it (there is a small notch in the back that you press with a screwdriver to push it over the locking tab)

Thanks for the help and pictures on this thread. That is what convinced me to give it a try!!

It's nice to have lights again.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Here we go again

Well that lasted about 10 months, the switch is probably full of oil again ##$%^^%^*^UY*^&%^/.
Going to email Classic for a better price and buy some other needed parts.

Originally Posted by norm03s
What's required?
Remove driver’s side front wheel, 19MM box end wrench, Brake Clean.

I removed the switch pressed in the plunger and oil pumped out of the switch body.
Oil in the switch body where the contacts are was interfering with electrical contact, tested with Ohm meter.
Pressed in the plunger and sprayed in with Brake Clean a few times while cycling the plunger until no oil was present. Blew out with Hi pressure air. Tested with Ohm meter electrical contact restored.
I have pictures if anyone is interested, need to load some camera software to post.

Last edited by norm03s; 12-01-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
What is with this switch design? The replacement switch just crapped out. This is annoying.

Quick Reply: Reverse light out