Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

More Trifecta Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Markomatic
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Trifecta Lights

I have a 2005 Cooper S with he usual trifecta issue. I found that the 5 amp fuse for the DSC in the drivers left foot well was blown. I replaced it and the lights are still on. I replaced all of the speed sensors but the lights are still on. I have had two different ODBII/ABS scanners on the vehicle and none can connect to the ABS. Both scanners can read the ABS on other vehicles. When you first start the car the lights are off and the brake pedal has a slight shudder as if the ABS was actuating lightly. After about 10 or 15 seconds the lights come on and the brakes feel fine except no DSC. Moving the DSC switch and the lights does not change nor does the little green light on the switch comes on. I removed the plug from the ABS unit and inspected and put it back on. Still no change. Any suggestions?

Mark Miller

Old 01-17-2017, 10:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Hello Mark - Were you able to clear the codes with the scan tool after you replaced all the items you did? You must clear them as they will stay stored. The scan tool you're using may not work for the MINI and cannot pull up faults in other modules. You may want to track down a MINI specific scan tool that can read ABS faults. We have info about one that works for the MINI here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...D2_Systems.htm. You might check in the regional forums to see if someone near you might have one you can borrow that will work. You'll want to see what faults are present as it should help you diagnose the issue before throwing parts at it.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Markomatic
1st Gear
Both scan tools I used had Mini in their choices under ABS diagnostics. One was a Bosch and the other I do not recall the make. Both tools could scan my Nissan Altima's ABS. I did not clear codes as I could not connect to the module. I could take it to my local dealer but being in the repair business years ago with 25 years experience I like to do what I can. The issue is either the scanners cannot read my model of Mini or the issue is not allowing the scan tool to connect.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:01 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Could definitely be either of those. You might reach out to the company you purchased the scan tool from and see what they have to say. You could also bring it to a MINI indy shop and have them see if they can connect to your ABS module, which I'm sure will be much cheaper than bringing it into a dealer. http://www.minirepairshops.com/ that site can help you find one. It might not be a bad idea so that you can figure out the root of the issue here and then move forward to repair it yourself.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Markomatic
1st Gear
Thanks. There is a place on the list that is not far away that has a good reputation with imports but especially BMW. That may be a way to go.