Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Reverse lights: stuck on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 AM
grecostamara
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reverse lights: stuck on!

Hey y'all!

So here's what I'm dealing with: when I got my car at the end of October 2016, the reverse lights didn't work. The previous owner mentioned that he had replaced the FRM (footwell module). Well when I received a backup camera as a gift, I got it all wired in and then it hit me: had to fix the reverse lights or the camera wouldn't work.

So I tried all the usual stuff: replaced the reverse switch on the manual transmission, changed the bulbs, checked all the wires to and from the FRM for continuity, and opened up the module to check for hardware damage. Nada. I also verified that the replacement module is correct by part number.

I contacted bmcoding.com and had the guy remote in to reset the module. Well...he gave it his best shot, but now it's worse. My reverse lights are on 100% of the time now, regardless of what gear the trans is in. And my camera apparently doesn't work, but along with the reverse lights, I get a black screen on my aftermarket radio with "No signal." So no music until it's resolved.

As it sits, I unplugged the individual wires (in the FRM harnesses) that put power to the reverse lights. Still no music of course, but if I unplug the FRM harness that tells the radio I'm in reverse (which I'm not), I lose control of my blinkers and windows at least.

So before I take it to the dealer and burn a week's paycheck, does anyone have any other suggestions? The tech guy used frm_70 to reset the mod, but beyond that, I'm new to BMW standard tools. And German.

I'm sure I left out some info, so don't hesitate to ask if you think there's another DIY route to go. Thanks!