Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Battery icon . . . not sure what the deal is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:15 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Battery icon . . . not sure what the deal is?

So today I changed the rear brake pad, rotors, and the sensor that goes with it.
At some point I had the hand brake on and I must have push the car ON button to see if it would remove the rear brake sensor service message (which I realized soon enough I would need to be reset separately, which I did)

I don't exactly know how long the car lights where on but after putting the car on it's feet and starting the car, a battery icon popped-up on the screen. I figured that maybe I was on low charge so I plugged-in my Stanley battery charger and let it have a full charge.

Now the battery icon doesn't seem to disappear.

A few question:
- What does the battery icon actually indicate?
- Does it take a while for a message to clear? I'm thinking maybe after driving tomorrow it might clear if conditions looks fine.
- is it a bad idea to charge a battery with a charger on a MINI gen2? Can that trigger a battery CEL?

The car isn't that hold (3.5 yrs) and there doesn't seem to be any power loss so I don't think the battery is going bad. It would be a strange coincidence.
I'm not sure what the deal is here...

Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Is it possibly the key fob battery icon?

Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I don't think so. It looks more like the main battery.
It's a big battery icon (rectangular box with two little square on top).

Isn't the key fob battery icon a key with a AA like battery symbol over top?

Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I'm giving it an other charge, a little longer than the first one...
We'll see. The weather has been quite cold (13°F outside, 47°F in the garage)

Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
That icon means low voltage. Not sure if it's battery condition or alternator output. Usually alternator output. Alt not charging battery. Or a battery not able to take a charge. I would start with a battery replacement. Having lived (in the past) in Western PA for many years, batteries don't last long.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:42 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I haven't checked today but I put the car on charge yesterday while the car was completely turned off. Then unplugged the charger prior to starting the car. I then went on a short drive and at stop light was checking for information. Nothing showed.

Today my wife drove it twice. I asked her if she saw anything popping up on the screen even for just a few seconds when starting the car, and other than what we call the "snow flake" warning (when temp are below freezing ) she said that she didn't see any other warning signs...

It makes me wonder if the computer registered my charging the car when I also turned on the dash (without starting the car) as a faulty charge from the alternator ?...