Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Smoke from turbo after oil feed line change

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Scott Paist
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke from turbo after oil feed line change

Hi everyone! I have a 2008 MINI Cooper S with the JCW package. My turbo oil feed line developed the all-too-common oil leak at the feed line.

I installed the replacement part from Detroit Tuned and reassembled everything correctly (I'll admit that I have a few heat shield screws leftover, but after spending 12 hours on this project, I just wanted to start it up and see if it leaked).

Good news: no oil leaks.

Bad news: Now white smoke that very faintly smells like burning rubber comes out of the turbo area. It's not pouring out, but it's definitely more smoke than the oil leak generated. What did I screw up? Is it just residual brake cleaner burning off (there was oil sprayed everywhere due to the leak)? Is it the turbo cooking itself from lack of oil? I let it idle and revved a few times and everything sounded fine. The top heat shield is hot to the touch after the engine runs for a minute or two.

If it is something bad, is it safe to drive 7-8 miles to a garage or do I need a tow?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Scott Paist
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I took the top heat shield off and it didn't smoke at all. I guess there was still some oil left on the heat shield. So, good news there.

Bad news is that I'm still getting burning oil from the return line. I give up, I'll pay the shop to work on it.

For others looking to do this job, be prepared for a full day and go out and buy a ratcheting 10mm wrench ahead of time, preferably with a long handle.