Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

The right Gen 2 S Spark Plugs/Misfire Codes/Coil Packs

Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The right Gen 2 S Spark Plugs/Misfire Codes/Coil Packs

Hello Everyone-

My Clubman S has on 2 occasions got misfire codes on cold starts. ALL 4 cylinders and the throttle body code. I have it at the dealer today and they are telling me it's the Spark plugs I installed. That they are incorrect.

I installed the plugs from the directions/info from here and other sources. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ark-plugs.html The dealler told me that the non-genuine NGK ILZKBR7A-8G spark plug are not rated for the right temperature.

Reading that the NGK ILZKBR7A-8G is the replacement plug. It left the factory with that plug. It's located here and here from ESC Tuning for examples. These are listed as "genuine" mini, but the spark plug model number printed on the side is the exact same that I have.

Is there something I'm missing? With the information I have I purchased the right ones.

Lastly, they said that my coil packs may also be going bad. They said I have the "old style" and they have been updated. Which genuine mini coil pack is correct? Also, I see Delphi replacement Coil pack on various sites. Do these work as replacements or are they crap?

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-03-2016, 02:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Hello,

These are for all N14 2008-2010 MCS Clubman engine MINIs below. If so see below. If not what year do you have ?

ILZKBR7A-8G is the right plug ( as they are the same as OEM ), they might just want you to buy the Genuine MINI parts from them ? T

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-...gine/Ignition/

12137575010 is the latest coil , unless they just changed them. ? Delphi is OEM for MINI , Bremi is another BMW OE supplier also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some clarification that may help people out in the future.

1. ILZKBR7A-8G is the right plug. If you even look on-line you will see some mini dealers that sell parts will have the "Genuine" Spark PLug listed on their site and have a picture with a spark plug with "ILZKBR7A-8G" on the side. http://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/prod...120035531.html

2. Where the confusion is apparently Mini has recently change manufacturers or altered the part#. Because now the dealer uses the spark plug Model from Mini. I believe it may be this one. http://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/prod...122293697.html So, this why the dealer thought I had the wrong plug.

3. So, I did install the correct plugs. That was not what was causing my hard starts and misfires. I ruled this out from they beginning, they didn't believe me until I had them research. Now, they understood that I had the correct Spark Plug.

4. They then went straight to the coils as the cause for the misfire codes, hard cold start, and throttle body codes. Of coarse they wanted $550 to replace them, which is absurd. I declined and I'm glad I did. They had no proof it was the coils. Plus, all the coils would not go bad at once for all the cylinders? Everything pointed for me reading NAM High pressure fuel Pump or Carbon Buildup (Apparently they carboned cleaned last year when I had the modified cold weather intake manifold installed.)

5. Now, everything has been fine for 2 days. Then this morning, hard start, check engine for misfires multiple cylinders, and throttle body code again. But, this time she went into full malfunction limp mode. I shut it off for 5 minutes then restarted. Limp mode gone, but power was less than 50%. I then went straight to the dealer to have them sort this out.

6. They get it in and scan the computer for codes. Apparently there are some codes Torque can't read. One came up for the HPFP. Bingo. They said that now that the had the code the could put the HPFP through testing and of coarse it failed. When I asked them why didn't they test it 2 days ago? The said that they can't test the HPFP unless they get the code, then they are able to go through their instructed protocols. Why don't dealers diagnose any more and just wait for codes? Especially, for well known problems? Frustrating.

7. Word of warning. The technician informed me Mini has recently changed the cost of the HPFP. It went from $350 to $1000; they are like the drug companies. Luckily most of use will get this replaced under the 10 year 120,000 mile campaign.

A huge thank you to the community for keeping me informed. I would have been screwed under multiple occasions with out you. Now, I am at the point as many in past. I'm thinking of trading and dumping this car. I have never had such a love/hate relationship with a car. It may be time to let her go.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome.

Thats spark plug above is for the N18 engines. 12122293697 They must be using that as a upgrade or TSB ? But according to even other diagram it the NGK ILZKBR7A-8G is the replacement plug.

Yea, should like a HPFP and they did all jump up in price , which I allready talked about.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-r56-jcw.html

You are welcome., And if you need anything else let me know.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You can also use Bosch coil No. 0221504800. They are not officially used on the MINI, but they are on several BMW engines. In my opinion, they are better quality than the Delphi packs because they are totally sealed (no visible metal parts). The original coils tend to rust. I have replaced all 4 on mine with the Bosch units and have been happily running with them for the past 2 years.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:30 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
We just added the bosch units a little bit ago.