Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

N18 Engine Hissing Sound and Weird noise (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by preme123
Updates, So I didn't have time to fix it yet. I've driven around 400miles, Both city and urban. And this morning when I was about to merge onto the main road my car sputtered and struggle to move. It then had a really rough idle. I have tons of white smoke comming out the exhaust. The OBD2 says Cylinder 1 Misfire...

I'll get it towed next week... :( sounds expensive to me.. You guys should really get it fixed before this happens!
Your second video sounds like a metal bearing of some sort, perhaps the main coolant pump bearing is failing since you're also getting white smoke out the exhaust, could be squirting onto you hot exhaust or possibly as simple as a failing belt tensioner. If the crank seal was bad I wouldn't expect white smoke...?

The misfire could just be a crazy coincidence.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by preme123
What code did it throw? I had the fuel pressure too low code randomly and also cylinder 1 misfire.
I don't know as I don't have a reader. The intermittent code can only be read by a specific mini reader.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I can clearly hear air leaking out of your valve cover long before you remove the oil cap, I have never heard of an original valve cover lasting 100,000 miles and 8 years, it just doesn't happen. Might as well replace the oil cap while your at it.
Oh yes! It was sucking air like crazy. I could barley get the cap off!! It appeared to be original as it had all the original stickers. After I replaced it everything seemed back to normal. I spoke with a service adviser at mini when I bought it, he was super cool, I asked him about my intermittent cel. He then started asking me what I was installing and I said a valve cover. He said to expect lower oil consumption, I hope he's right. my R56 drinks oil like its going oil of style..........

Old 02-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Semaphore
Oh yes! It was sucking air like crazy. I could barley get the cap off!! It appeared to be original as it had all the original stickers. After I replaced it everything seemed back to normal. I spoke with a service adviser at mini when I bought it, he was super cool, I asked him about my intermittent cel. He then started asking me what I was installing and I said a valve cover. He said to expect lower oil consumption, I hope he's right. my R56 drinks oil like its going oil of style..........
Wait you already replaced the valve cover? Your Mini will still drink oil regardless so don't get your hopes up.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Yep. Yeah, I didn't get too excited when he said that. It does use less with the new cover though... I drove 25+ miles with the screwed up valve cover and chewed through 1/2 quart of oil! Service guy said when cover is messed up like that is blows oil straight out exhaust and i believe it! Also said that condition can contribute to carbon build up?

Last edited by Semaphore; 02-13-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Semaphore
Yep. Yeah, I didn't get too excited when he said that. It does use less with the new cover though... I drove 25+ miles with the screwed up valve cover and chewed through 1/2 quart of oil! Service guy said when cover is messed up like that is blows oil straight out exhaust and i believe it! Also said that condition can contribute to carbon build up?
Well before the oil can go through the exhaust it must go through the PCV ports and ingested into the engine and burned, Mini got lazy and didn't design anything to trap and return oil vapors back into the oil pan. It has since bit them in the *** financially and seriously hurt the brand!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I can clearly hear air leaking out of your valve cover long before you remove the oil cap, I have never heard of an original valve cover lasting 100,000 miles and 8 years, it just doesn't happen. Might as well replace the oil cap while your at it.
Due to time constraints I bought my cover from the dealer and it came with the gasket installed on the cover and a new filler cap. Driven about 400 miles since installing the new cover and no codes and running great.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grussell
Due to time constraints I bought my cover from the dealer and it came with the gasket installed on the cover and a new filler cap. Driven about 400 miles since installing the new cover and no codes and running great.
I have the exact same sound coming from the second video posted. Just wondering how you found out it was the valve cover and what part on the cover failed? How's it holding up?

Old 11-05-2016, 07:43 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Update:
My valve cover was making that fock up sound plus it started weeping oil around the front of the engine onto the turbo heat shield cover causing it to smoke. No warranty so I dropped $325 for a new cover.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Howster
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still trying to figure out how a PCV valve ended up in an oil pan on someone's car. I ordered a new valve cover for my exe's 2010 R56 Base and the PCV valve is enclosed. I have sprayed the valve on the car with cleaner and the issue went away, so I'm not sure the PCV valve is actually bad.

Is there a suggested timeframe or mileage for replacing the valve cover since you can't replace the PCV valve on it's own? I had P2414 codes for awhile and replaced both O2 sensors. The code was still there so I sprayed the valve and the code never came back. I just don't know if removing the valve cover and cleaning it out really well will correct the issue for the long term or should I just replace it while I have the new cover? Since you can't actually see the PCV valve it's difficult to tell if it is in need of replacing. Her car has around 65K on it now. Any suggestions?

Cheers to all.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:13 PM
rajdude
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Temp solution: drill hole?

A big hello to everyone, my very first post in these forums!
I have the exact same problem as the original poster. I am ordering a valve cover and it will come in a few days......but meanwhile I need to drive the Mini around town, just a few miles at low speed. (Wife needs to pick up the kids from school while I am at work with the other car).

As a temporary solution...I was wondering if I could drill a hole through the oil filler cap, maybe a 10 mm hole. It should relieve the pressure and stop the whistling noise as heard in the second video. That I have confirmed by starting the engine and let it run for a minute without the oil filler cap.

The new valve cover comes with a new oil filler cap.

What do you say about this crazy idea? :-)

Old 09-04-2019, 04:12 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NO, do not drill a hole in the oil filler cap or your mini will run like crap. Just drive it until you get the valve cover and replace it.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:06 PM
rajdude
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
damage?

ok but is there any chance of causing damage to the engine when it is trying to suck air through the gaskets, resulting in that whistling noise.

By the way, why is the engine trying to suck air in the first place?